YJ mirror relocation question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ mirror relocation question...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Robob69
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ mirror relocation question...

I just put mirror relocation mounts on my YJ... Moved my mirrors... Now I can't see crap out of them.... How can these be useful if you can not see out of the dang mirrors? Is there extensions? If I have the door skins off I can see out of the drivers side ok.. Passenger side is a no go batman... With the skins on I have no mirrors at all..
Suggestions?

Robob69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

get cj mirrors? i tried those also and ended up going back to door mounted mirrors and then just using the rear view when doorless. the state law only requires one rear viewing mirror so if you have no doors, the rear view on the windshield meets the state requirement.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up making custom stalks for the mirrors. In order to see the mirror through the windshield it needed to be higher and further forward than the stock mounts. Plus I wanted them up high enough to miss the soft doors when I have them on.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

With soft doors, or no doors, I run w/o mirrors. I left the mirrors on my hard doors. If the windshield is folded, I'll run a safari mirror on the driver's side to stay legal.

If you're looking for mirrors all the time, like superj suggested --- go CJ.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
wrangleryj89jp
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased a mirror relocation kit because in the summer I always have the doors off. Not to mention, my yj 19898 was bought without a passenger side mirror on the door. My new relocated mirrors work fine. If i was able to send pictures through jeepforum.com I would upload a pic of it but I have yet to get 50 posts.

All i know is one of my mirrors (The passenger side mirror) has a different bracket than the drivers side. The passenger mirror bracket that mounts to the windshield is mounted on the windshield bracket, but goes up at a steeper angle, and is longer too. This makes it be able to clear the windshield frame completely, though the two mirrors are not symmetrical.

The way my passegner mirror worked when I mounted them with no problems at all wasn't like the intructions that came with it or the description on the website. I DID NOT have to look THROUGH THE WIDNSHIELD to see my passenger relocated mirror, instead the mirror on the right side of the car would be able to clear the windshield completely so I got a perfect angle when viewing the passenger mirror by looking at it behind the windshield, not through it.

It's hard to explain without pictures, but I'm going to send you a link to the mirrors I bought online. They were the cheapest ones out there. They were like under 40 dollars for the WHOLE PAIR. And they worked great.
wrangleryj89jp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

I had the same issue with my relocation brackets. Couldn't see the passenger mirror, now that mount holds a spotlight. Drivers side I have no issue with and use all the time. Do you have the arm adjusted out farther? That's what I have to do when I reinstall the doors.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
redduck996

re

I just purchased a set of the Dual Mirror set for soft doors for 26.99 at Essentials (Quatratec). Are those useless for viewing as well?
Any comments would be welcome

thanks
redduck996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robob69 View Post
I just put mirror relocation mounts on my YJ... Moved my mirrors... Now I can't see crap out of them.... How can these be useful if you can not see out of the dang mirrors? Is there extensions? If I have the door skins off I can see out of the drivers side ok.. Passenger side is a no go batman... With the skins on I have no mirrors at all..
Suggestions?
Here is what I did;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...95-yj-1397157/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

How is the view to the passenger side mirror from the drivers seat there laybackman?
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
How is the view to the passenger side mirror from the drivers seat there laybackman?
The inside edge of the mirror is just about even with the windshield frame. Since the right mirror is tilted inward the view is real good.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I resolved this issue on my Jeep.

view from drivers seat

bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
redduck996

thanks laybackman, that looks really clean... wondering if I shouldnt attempt the same and cancel the order I have from quatratec
redduck996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
wrangleryj89jp
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's weird because my relocation mirror kit was mounted on the sides, not the front part of the windshield bracket like that pic shows. I may have did it wrong, but it worked and I dont even have to look through the windshield to see them...
wrangleryj89jp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Bill8bud, that's the same kit I have, didn't think to swing the passenger arm forward on it.
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Bill8bud, that's the same kit I have, didn't think to swing the passenger arm forward on it.
Do not feel bad....

A neighbor's young kid is the one that told me to try it. From the mouth of babes came my solution.

Its not perfect but it does allow your stock mirrors to work.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.