YJ manual transmission change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ manual transmission change

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
newjeepusr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ manual transmission change

I was told by someone who worked at a local lube place here in Indianapolis that in order to get all of my transmission fluid out of my car they would have to hook my Jeep up to a maching and they would pump out 8 quarts of fluid and put back 8 quarts of fluid. He went on to tell me that I could do it on my own, however it will only drain the 4 quarts out of the tranny itself, and there is 4 more quarts I can't get to. Is this true or false? Should I just pay the labor and have them do it? or do it on my own?

newjeepusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a manual they are full of sheite. Just pull the drain plug, empty it and dump 4 quarts of 10w30 in it. You are good to go.
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea that sounds like they were thinking of an auto tranny where fluid would be "stuck" in the torque converter.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

You have the AX-5, right? The fill plug is up on the passenger side of the transmission. It takes a umm... 17 mm wrench or something to remove it. The drain plug is down towards the bottom. Don't remove the upper plug with the torx head, that one isn't for removal.

An easy way to fill the transmission is to remove the shifter assembly and fill it through the top until it starts trickling out of the fill plug hole, piece of cake.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

The guy you talked to either thought you had an auto, or doesn't know what he's talking about.
just pull the drain plug, and as TheDustMan mentioned, it's easier to fill it by removing the shfiter.
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
newjeepusr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I shouldn't use gear oil?
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeepusr View Post
I think thats what the manual recommended but many of us use 10w30 engine oil. It warms up faster, shifts smoother, and doesn't have chemicals in it that tear up the synchronizers like gear oil does.
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure about the AX5's, but the jeep part number for the proper lubricant for the AX15's, is for 10w30 motor oil.
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
newjeepusr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

"An easy way to fill the transmission is to remove the shifter assembly and fill it through the top until it starts trickling out of the fill plug hole, piece of cake."

The shifter assembly on the inside of the Jeep? So I can fill the manual transmission fluid from the driver or passenger seat?

Last edited by newjeepusr; 03-03-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: didn't mean to type out ****
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
95greenrio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, take the boots off and then pop the retaining collar out and you can pour the oil down through the shift tower.
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
"An easy way to fill the transmission is to remove the shifter assembly and fill it through the top until it starts trickling out of the fill plug hole, piece of cake."

The shifter assembly in the ****pit of the Jeep?
lol, it blanked out ****.

And yes, in the cab. Remove your shifter boot assembly and then push down on the retainer while turning it counter-clockwise (I think, might be clockwise) then once the retainer pops out, just pull the shifter assembly up and out and you'll have a nice opening where you can just add the new oil.
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Soundy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
lol, it blanked out ****.

And yes, in the cab. Remove your shifter boot assembly and then push down on the retainer while turning it counter-clockwise (I think, might be clockwise) then once the retainer pops out, just pull the shifter assembly up and out and you'll have a nice opening where you can just add the new oil.
This is a great idea, except I found it was a pain in the arse to get the boot back on :P
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.