YJ major rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ major rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
barney9393
1988 YJ Wrangler 

YJ major rebuild

I have an 88 YJ, 4.2l, 5 speed. A few weeks ago what began as simply replacing the worn out 4.2 with a reman engine has turned into a "frame up" restoration. I only need to remove the tow hooks, the spring shackles and the rear track bar and I'll have the frame bare and ready for sandblasting. I plan on having the frame powder coated black. Two of the leaf springs were broken and I will need to start the reassembly with those. There has never been a lift kit installed and I am debating whether or not to install a 1-2 inch lift leaf springs. What do I need to be aware of to make that decision? Are there drive line considerations? I don't plan on 33 inch tires (I'm not sure the engine, transmission would put up with the bigger rubber, anyway.)

I am looking forward to reading your input. Thanks!

barney9393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
yjing

the 4.2l will handle way more than 33's, if regeared of course. if you want 31's, 1-2 inches would have you rub-free giving you good clearance. You don't need SYE/CV with that little bit of lift.

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #360[/COLOR]
yjing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
z71offroader

sounds like a nice build! if ur guna be doing such a nice job like it sounds ur doing id put some 33s on it. the i6 will work fine with 33s. my stock i6 works great with my 35s but i did have to regear. so if ur guna end up regear or putting lockers in then 33s would be a nice way to go if not 31s with 1-2" of lift will work.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Take lots of pictures! and keep a log.

Only bit of advice I can pass is get a few good books, FSM, chiltons etc. Double check the torque on every bolt. You'll be glad you did.

How much did the longblock cost you?
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
GiggityJeep

chiltons suck
GiggityJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
barney9393
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Reman long block through my local NAPA dealer was about $1300.00 exchange.
barney9393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.