yj with a mail basket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj with a mail basket

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yj with a mail basket

I decided to eleminate the rear seat for now. I picked up a mail basket out of a dj jeep in the junkyard. I was thinking of making it lift from the rear with pnuematic arms and lock. I may make it so I can do a change out between the basket and the seat. What do you guys think?

90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I like it, I've been contimplating doing a similar set up.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks timatoe, it was in the front of the mail jeep on the driver side(pass of the mail jeep) it bolted to the dash. The crazy thing too is that the junkyard gave it to me for free! what do you think of making it hinge and lock like a trunk. I think I might have to weld some tie down points on it too.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
Unread 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

THIS GUYS WRITE UP is what got me to thinking about it, except I'd like to use a couple of hatchback gas shocks rather than a prop rod like that guy did. I picked up a couple of sets of these at HF the other day to put on top.......http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66219

I like the way that one you've got sits up there, I was kinda worried about the fit, cause I've got the air tank in the same spot you do.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

nice, very nice

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That guys set up is trick. I am all for the gas shocks and those harbor freight tie down rails. I think I should make a bulkhead with a piano hinge on it and then have it lock at the rear of the jeep. I may just do something off the tail gate that locks it in place. Thanks for the ideas Timatoe. I think it will have to get a coat of herculiner as well.
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
95greenrio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did something similar with mine, I used a piece of 16ga steel and some angle iron to make a box that encloses the whole rear end mounted flush with the tops of the fenderwells. I would like to put some of the gas shocks on mine too but now I have it bolted to the sides of the fenders, for tie downs I just put an eye-bolt in each corner.
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Sxinc
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That seems like it would be an awesome idea with the tie down rails on it too.. Even if you were to set it up with pins on the hinges to remove it and put your set back in.
Sxinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

MMM the gas shocks would be nice if you didn't use the top to load things on . Has far to to make it lockable I would use a rod sticking out to engage with the tailgate ( with a hole in it) when it closes around the pin. Lock the tailgate top is locked too.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That kinda what I was thinking as far as locking it with the tailgate. It would probably have to be unloaded to be raised. With the tie down system timatoe proposed and some heavy duty gas shocks. It should be able to lift up with some lighter gear strapped on top. The tools can go underneath in the locking part. I guess I might need the gas shocks and a kick stand. What do you think dodger? I was thinking about putting the rod on the tail gait and the hole in the basket, but I guess it could work the other way. Either way it locks with the tailgate key.
Unread 07-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
HilltopperYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

very cool

look forward to how this turns out

A-E-K-Δ-B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
HilltopperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
That kinda what I was thinking as far as locking it with the tailgate. It would probably have to be unloaded to be raised. With the tie down system timatoe proposed and some heavy duty gas shocks. It should be able to lift up with some lighter gear strapped on top. The tools can go underneath in the locking part. I guess I might need the gas shocks and a kick stand. What do you think dodger? I was thinking about putting the rod on the tail gait and the hole in the basket, but I guess it could work the other way. Either way it locks with the tailgate key.
You have lots of options yjc, (it's mine that timatoe posted near the start of the thread). I was originally thinking about having 2 tabs (one on the gate and one on the rack) that would meet with a hole aligned for a padlock to go through since the factory lock is pretty flimsy. It depends how you mount the hinged end because if it's adjustable like mine (not welded to the rollbar) then it's a pain to get everything lined up again if you temporarily remove it for any reason. As you can see, I ended up using a tab on the gate and rack so that precise alignment is not an issue and if I want to lock it up tight I put a padlock on the tire carrier mechanism which locks the carrier, gate and rack all together.
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could use side locks on the front pivot point and front panel on the inside to make it removable. I would use the locking pin on the shelf itself so if you remove it you don't have anything sticking out of the tailgate. Well if you use a drop type of support rod so when you have it loaded heavier than the gas shocks can lift.

I someone want anything under the shelf a pad lock is not going to stop them. Remember lock just keep honest people honest.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.