JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   YJ lift kit question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-lift-kit-question-1467907/)

atldude 01-23-2013 12:32 PM

YJ lift kit question

So this is still a couple of months away (so much other crap to fix lol) as of today but I am trying to get a better understanding of what a suspension lift entails. I searched and watched some vids about it. Also looked at installation instructions.

Currently my leaky '95 wrangler :D has what seems to be either 3.5" or 3" body lift from the previous owner. Been on it for just about 10 years since I first got it. The suspension is bone stock including springs, shocks and leaf springs. The leaf springs have some rust but look and feel like they will need to go since they are almost completely flush horizontally and they dive very deep when braking understandably so since they are just about 20 yrs old.
\
Since I am fixing it up I figure why not do what I always wanted to do. I want to lift up 2.5" via the suspension and replace the big body spacers with 1" possibly even going back to whatever was there stock. Also I will install new shackle bushings while I am at it.

The jeep is a 2.5L so I don't plan to run anything bigger than the current tires - 31's. Seems like that should be enough space to get the tires fitted without issues.

Now the part that I don't know about: rear drive shaft - should I expect any issues such as it sliding out of the TC with 2.5" lift and dumping out ATF leaving me stranded? Will I need longer break lines? I see that they have TC lowering kit (fancy name for what appears to be skid plate spacers .. thought it was funny) and they also have pitman arms etc. In other words do I need anything else with this kit other than what the kit comes with to make this happen and be safe on the road.

Edit: here's the kit I am looking at: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/leaf-sp...sj-yj20kn.html

Thanks in advance for the advice guys!

Rproject 01-23-2013 12:53 PM

Is that the Rancho kit? If so, I had it on my last YJ and it was alright. Not soft like an OME system, but definitely better than stock.

As for the transfer case lowering kit, we were running 33's with a 2.5" on our first YJ and my son dropped the rear driveshaft going over a speed bump. While some said I didn't need it with the 31's and 2.5" lift I'm running on our current YJ, I put it on just in case.

Pitman arm drop? For a 2.5" kit, not necessary. 4"? Yeah, get it.

Brake line extensions? Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you plan to stretch her legs on the trails, it might not be a bad idea.

bogleparsons 01-23-2013 12:58 PM

OK so no your driveshaft will not fall out with a 2.5" lift. I have 6" of lift and mine doesn't.. barely :P

I highly doubt you will have vibes with 2.5" but a 1" mml or TC drop would easily fix the angle.

That is a complete kit. you wouldn't need a drop pitman arm ect. your stock brake lines can be relocated to fit.

atldude 01-23-2013 01:14 PM

Skyjacker Lol yea it is a bit on the pricey side.

As you can probably tell I don't know much about this stuff so when it comes to that I usually just pick not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Something in the middle if that makes sense... seemed like this kit is right there... also looked at the 4wd branded ones which are on the cheap end.

Also still undecided on hydro vs nitro seems like hydro might be a little more plush.

Now with that said I don't really plan on extreme wheeling or anything :) But it would be nice to take it off the road every now and then.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the brand I should go with. I have no clue how those feel compared to stock which to me felt a little rough but I understand it is expected with an off-road vehicle.

bogleparsons 01-23-2013 01:30 PM

Oh and I meant to say earlier if your front end is diving when you brake thats the shocks not working correctly not necessarily the springs.

atldude 01-23-2013 01:48 PM

Oh that's good info thank for that. I might just take one out and see what's happening with the shocks.

Talked to the guys @ 4wd just now said that I should go with a Rubicon Express 2.5 kit (http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...pn=R%2fERE5505)

Said that they are all-round good performing and long lasting plus they have those military style leaf springs that would help is something broke. Confirmed that I don't need the TC lowering kit but I think I will go ahead and get it anyway for piece of mind.

What you guys think?

bogleparsons 01-23-2013 01:58 PM

That's a good lift kit.

RE has a good reputation for quality.

Nothing wrong with the TC drop its an easy fix and inexpensive. ask if they have a JF discount.

bogleparsons 01-23-2013 01:59 PM

I think it's funny they spelled credibility wrong on the website :P

The 2.5" Standard System is a great entry-level setup and includes our twin-tube shocks. It's a complete suspension system that provides a modest 2.5" of lift that greatly improves upon the Jeep's stock appearance and says to onlookers that your Jeep has off-road cedibility,

NHfireLJ 01-23-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atldude (Post 14839528)
So this is still a couple of months away (so much other crap to fix lol) as of today but I am trying to get a better understanding of what a suspension lift entails. I searched and watched some vids about it. Also looked at installation instructions.

Currently my leaky '95 wrangler :D has what seems to be either 3.5" or 3" body lift from the previous owner. Been on it for just about 10 years since I first got it. The suspension is bone stock including springs, shocks and leaf springs. The leaf springs have some rust but look and feel like they will need to go since they are almost completely flush horizontally and they dive very deep when braking understandably so since they are just about 20 yrs old.

\
Since I am fixing it up I figure why not do what I always wanted to do. I want to lift up 2.5" via the suspension and replace the big body spacers with 1" possibly even going back to whatever was there stock. Also I will install new shackle bushings while I am at it.

The jeep is a 2.5L so I don't plan to run anything bigger than the current tires - 31's. Seems like that should be enough space to get the tires fitted without issues.

Now the part that I don't know about: rear drive shaft - should I expect any issues such as it sliding out of the TC with 2.5" lift and dumping out ATF leaving me stranded? Will I need longer break lines? I see that they have TC lowering kit (fancy name for what appears to be skid plate spacers .. thought it was funny) and they also have pitman arms etc. In other words do I need anything else with this kit other than what the kit comes with to make this happen and be safe on the road.

Edit: here's the kit I am looking at: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/leaf-sp...sj-yj20kn.html

Thanks in advance for the advice guys!

Body lifts are inexpensive. Daystar for about $115. Prothane. Great kit. 3" BL look foolish imho.

RE are great kits. running RE 4" on mine...

Good luck..

atldude 01-23-2013 02:17 PM

Lol

Very good! Thanks a lot for helping me out!

i will go with this kit. Seems like it has everything in the box i would need including break lines etc. for a newb like me that's just what i wanted !

atldude 01-23-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHfireYJ

Body lifts are inexpensive. Daystar for about $115. Prothane. Great kit. 3" BL look foolish imho.

RE are great kits. running RE 4" on mine...

Good luck..

Was not laughing at you in the previous post. It was re: credibility ....Just for the record ;)

atldude 07-18-2013 12:42 PM

So I have been exploring some options here just because I keep reading other recommendations on the forum and I am trying to do the right thing here.

The combo I see a lot is OME CS036R on all four, ground pounder fab shackles front and rear, bilstein shocks, longer/relocated break lines, new ubolts, and new bushings possibly shackle bolts, 1in daystar body lift.

I have some questions about that and I was hoping someone will help me out :-)

how long should the ubolts be?
with this configuration would I need an SYE? tc drop? axle spacer?

I am only trying to clear 31s and I don't know if I should be after stock length shackles or something a little higher? It seems like with the 1in BL it should clear 31s just fine without longer shackles right? but then I don't know if stock might be too short to clear the mil wrapped OME springs..

Thanks in advance guys!

UZI4U 07-19-2013 09:38 PM

Your 2.5" springs and 1" BL will be plenty to clear 31's. You shouldn't need to do much with the brake lines and run it without the TC drop before doing that. Definitely Daystar on the body lift and BDS, OME or RE for the springs. I'm not certain on the U-bolt length. When I did mine, I just bought a complete kit and called it good.

atldude 07-20-2013 08:00 PM

Thanks man. I did get a chance to chat with couple of people and they all recommended to get the RE kit and since thats the easy and cheap way i'm going to go for it tomorrow. The 20 y old stock springs are starting to bow up at the main rear O.o

The time now is 11:59 PM.