YJ Lift CSC or SOC What do I do? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Lift CSC or SOC What do I do?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks burlbook48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
First, Welcome!

Cupla things.... If you hate leaf springs and are going to pay someone to do a coil spring conversion or a full spring over conversion, and all the little details those entail, you might as well buy a TJ right now. It's gunna cost you some long green to pay someone to convert a YJ. Nothing limits your ability to modify your YJ more than paying someone else to do it. Trust me, I'm still learning this one.

Cheap 4" lift leaf springs will suck for a decent ride. Period. But if you want the "look", that and a body lift will get up in the air for a little down. You won't like how it rides, but it will give you the look you want. As for "darting" around town.... it's a jeep, it doesn't dart anywhere. If you want mind numbing acceleration and butt-cheek-clenching cornering ability, you need to buy a Miata with a V8 conversion.

BDS springs or Old Man Emu have the best reputation, and I have NEVER heard a complaint about these springs. That sez a lot, given most folks propensity to ***** about the color of the gold you give them. Cost you more, but you will be happier in the end. Don't forget quality shocks as well. And a drop pitman arm so you retain your steering geometry.

Ditch the trac bar. Trust me on this, or do a search. It's been covered many times. It was the first thing I did to my YJ, and it made a heck of a difference in the ride.

4" of lift? You'll want to do a slip yoke eliminator swap. This keeps your driveline from slipping out of the transfer case should you hyper-extend your suspension or break a u-joint. As it is now, pull the slip yoke out of the t-case and try to make it home.... well, you'll fry the t-case as all the fluid drains out the back. A T-case drop kit will help the driveline agle, not help if you break a u-joint.

Rear axle.... it really depends on how you drive. If you have a light foot and never go off road, the rear axle should hold up to larger tires. But hammer it a bit, and put any amount of signifcant torque to it, and you'll find out about the D35's reputation. Again, search. Axle upgrade choices are out there, some easier than others, some cheaper depending on where you live. Being in California, we are pretty much screwed when it comes to 100-dollar axle upgrades.

Rule number one of modifying your jeep: One thing seldom works by itself, and most modifications affect more than the part you modify. Search, read, and plan what you want to do before doing it. Your post is a good start, you asked a question. Now you have been given some answers. In the end, it's your jeep, do what you want to it and be happy with your YJ.

Again, Welcome!
Thanks for the info, I will start with the trac bar and see how I like the ride.
Being a 2.5 I figured I won't go to extreme with suspension and big tires.
I will look into the BDS and OLDMAN EMU gear.

I will be posting paint process photos tomorrow.
It will be ready to hit the paint booth Wednesday.

YJNerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running a 2.5" OME lift w/OME shackles on 31" tires. No track bars, but with swaybar. The ride compared to the stock spring/1-1/4" shackle lift is amazing . Comes pretty close to matching the ride of a 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS

Ditching the track bars (at least the rear) is about the cheapest mod you can do to improve the ride, even on stock springs.

The OME setup isn't a cheap suspension, but it's totally worth it.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon
I'm running a 2.5" OME lift w/OME shackles on 31" tires. No track bars, but with swaybar. The ride compared to the stock spring/1-1/4" shackle lift is amazing . Comes pretty close to matching the ride of a 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS

Ditching the track bars (at least the rear) is about the cheapest mod you can do to improve the ride, even on stock springs.

The OME setup isn't a cheap suspension, but it's totally worth it.
Preach it! OME really does ride like a Caddy and it flexes just about as good as coils too.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jax89jeeper thanks for you input.

Does OME HAVE KITS THAT ARE AVAILABLE FOR YJ? Or do the parts need to be ordered separately?
Any links you can post where I can buy them?
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

OME 36R springs can be purchased seperately and will give ample lift for 33's and with tj flares and a body lift more than enough room for 35's

Unread 08-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #21
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They do have a kit... Most people buy it in pieces though and can save a little $ and get a custom package. For a 2.5" lift you really just need springs, shocks, and new hardware.
You can add in other options to satisfy your needs. Add a set of 5/8" lift boomerang shackles and extended SS brake lines for max flex, add an SYE and balanced CV driveshafts for offroad reliability and smooth, vibe free running. Add in a 1" poly body lift, motor mount lift, and you can do a tummy tuck, chop and raise the fuel tank skid and you"ll have nearly as much ground clearance to the skids as a stock spring SOA rig. With tube fenders and a highline cut to the rear you can fit and flex 35's all while keeping the COG out of the stratosphere.

My point is, options are endless, but you need to start with a solid foundation and think of what you may want from your Jeep a year or two down the road. If you start with the right parts, you can just add to it instead of having to replace parts 2 or 3 times and spending more money down the road.

Unread 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #22
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank Jax
What do you all think of this kit?
Black Diamond 3.5" Suspension Lift Kit
For 87-95 Wrangler (YJ)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16110_010.htm
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run that black diamond lift. Not really rough, better then stock. Hasn't sagged even with a heavy winch on the front.

sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say skip black diamond and go BDS.
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #25
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
I'd say skip black diamond and go BDS.
Agreed.
Unread 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Restore has Started

OK so here we go striped everything down, getting my YJ all ready for the paint.

I can't wait to see what is will look like when we are done.
img_4379.jpg   img_4378.jpg   img_4380.jpg   img_4377.jpg  
Unread 08-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #27
zholcomb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

After reading and searching and reading and searching i decided to go with the BDS 5" springs and piece everything else together. I couldnt find one person that said a bad thing about BDS. Plus they have a no fine print warranty!! If it breaks they will replace it period.
zholcomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Zholcomb thanks for the input, I have been doing the same.
BDS sounds like a good fit, your doing 5" wow, does BDS have a kit available so I don't have to piece it
Together?
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
zholcomb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah they have a kit http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...4&yr=1987-1995

but it will be cheaper in the end to piece it together. You dont need the trac bar relocation brackets and you will want quick disconnects for your front sway bar instead of the extended brackets they give you. They can be made easily with little mechanical knowledge. Also the kit does not come with shackles. You will need bommerang shackles to clear the military wrap on the springs. And you said earlier you are wanting a better ride on-road. If so i would go with the bilstein 5100 shocks. Heard they are great on and off-road. But im not sure how much they would improve the ride compared to other shocks bc it is mainly your leaf springs that will determine the ride. If anyone else has any input on that that would help me out.

Also if you are wanting to clear just 33s i would go with the BDS 3.5" springs, get the 5/8 bommerang shackles from M.O.R.E. that will clear 33s and look real good. Im wanting 35s so am going with the 5" spings
zholcomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just order by part number and it's 004500. I know this because I have two of them

You'll need to plan for a SYE and dc driveline

Tags
1995 yj , newbie , spray paint , suspension lift , wrangler yj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.