YJ Lift CSC or SOC What do I do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Lift CSC or SOC What do I do?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Lift CSC or SOC What do I do?

Hello fellow jeep enthusiasts, Newbie here to owning a jeep. I recently purchased a 1995 YJ with 154k no rust and has never seen the dirt, Itís been pretty much street driven its whole life, stock with a body lift, and new bumpers. Hard top has never been off as well.
You will all probably laugh but I purchased it for 5k. After reading these forums I see that people purchased these for a lot cheaper. Go ahead tease me.
So before I get burned by buying the wrong gear I have turned to you experts for advice.
CSC or SOC?
5" Coil Spring Conversion (CSC) Suspension System or (SOC) Rubicon Express 5.5Ē Spring Over Conversion Suspension System. I almost purchased the CSC conversion until I read several threads saying that CSC by Pro Comp is crap? What about Black Diamonds CSC?
Hereís my issue I have two options, this vehicle rides like a brick on the street over speed bumps feels like an unforgiving leaf suspension.
Option 1
I want a smooth street experience when darting around town. So how do I accomplish that? One thread mentioned to remove the track bars? Will that give me a smooth ride on the street?
Option 2
Lift with a new suspension upgrade but what do I used?
I guess the only reason I want springs is for looks I hate the way leafís look but if everyone is using them for off-roading then maybe thatís where I need to go.
Can I combine a body lift with a lift?
Thanks in advance, the minute I drove this old jeep it what love at first site. What a fun vehicle.
I will be logging my transformation after I uncork the hard top and make is a summer driver. My first trip is to the paint shop. What is with jeep owners who like to spay paint the outside of there vehicles. The black looks ok in the picture but it is really spray painted with spray cans.

yjjeep2.jpg   yjjeep4.jpg   yjjeep5.jpg  
YJNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What size tires are you looking to run? Swapping to coils or doing SOA are a lot of work and very expensive. Do you have a lot of fab experience? Or are you just looking to lift it up a bit? You can improve the ride quality without going through as much trouble.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty much what cubewhiz said, start with tires. Removal of track bars will improve ride around town as will properly inflating your tires. There are several options for making your jeep into a reliable daily driver or a rock killin monster but neither of your options are feasible in my opinion. There are ways to get you where you are going safely and comfortably.

What size tires?
What kind of wheeling?
Is it a daily driver/ primary vehicle? (important for several reasons)
Do you have any aversions to cutting into those pretty fenders?
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Cubewiz, I believe they are 31's currently and I will not be doIng any of the work myself.
I can only do basic mechanics only, so I will be taking it to either Rebel Offroad, Outlaw Offroad or Jeeps are Us.
I want to be armed with as much info as possible before I get quotes.
I came into some extra $$ and I want to spend it wisely.
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJNerd View Post
Thanks Cubewiz, I believe they are 31's currently and I will not be doIng any of the work myself.
I can only do basic mechanics only, so I will be taking it to either Rebel Offroad, Outlaw Offroad or Jeeps are Us.
I want to be armed with as much info as possible before I get quotes.
I came into some extra $$ and I want to spend it wisely.
You want to go through all that work to run 31 inch tires???
--------
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anticaman thanks for the reply.
Ok so tires are 31's I believe
Begginer Wheeler interested in medium offroading.
This car is not my daily driver, it also is a tow Vehicle behind my Motorhome.
I want to go as tall like 4 or 5.5in without compromising the flip possibility.
Since it will be towed I would probably stay away from Mud terrains and go with an aggressive looking all terrain.
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

31 are what's on there now I believe, I want to run 33's.
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4-5.5" is overkill for 31" tires. You're going to wind up with a Jeep that looks like this:

--------
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Leaf springs are rough no doubt, but quality springs make a world of difference...

OME, get great reviews...the 2.5" with 1" BL and a little trimming you can pop 33's under there.

I'm running RE 4" springs I really like them... DD and wheel is pretty often...

If you have money and really WANT to spend it then do the coil conversion, but unless you are going to be hard core running, I think its a waste... The install is gonna be pricey ontop of the kit, same with SOA and steering set up...... If you hate leafs, by a TJ.

Good luck..
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

BTW. Save money on paint...If you run trails it just gets scratched!
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
cklobo

Wow, so that's what my YJ is supposed to look like. Very nice, and in my case, inspirational. I didn't pay that price, but if ya got it, so be it. I too am a rattle canner, but can't afford a new paint job at this time.

Anyway, sweet ride.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
cklobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

33's are a good start but if you want to be honest with yourself, join a 4x4 club and see what your jeep really needs for the terrain around you. You'll find your weak points rather quickly by hitting the trails.
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
YJNerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cubewize lol great pic, ya I hope is does not look like that.

NHfireyj what brand kit do you run? And please excuse the dumb question but when you say 4" springs is that leaf springs 4" all the way around?
Your probably right staying with leaf is what I'm going to do. Maybe a TJ in the future.
Ok see 2.5 leaf lift with 1in body lift is popular. Any favorite brands?
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJNerd
Cubewize lol great pic, ya I hope is does not look like that.

NHfireyj what brand kit do you run? And please excuse the dumb question but when you say 4" springs is that leaf springs 4" all the way around?
Your probably right staying with leaf is what I'm going to do. Maybe a TJ in the future.
Ok see 2.5 leaf lift with 1in body lift is popular. Any favorite brands?
He told you he's running a Rubicon Express(RE) kit haha. And yes, 4" springs on every corner. And Old Man Emu springs are highly talked about. Get 36rs. BDS are great too. To add to the discussion, you should also look into getting a slip yolk eliminator kit and an 8.8 rear axle out of a ford explorer because the Dana 35 is the weak link in the axle world.

Edit: Add a new driveshaft with the SYE too. You'll be set after all this is done and you'll never go for a TJ.
Unread 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First, Welcome!

Cupla things.... If you hate leaf springs and are going to pay someone to do a coil spring conversion or a full spring over conversion, and all the little details those entail, you might as well buy a TJ right now. It's gunna cost you some long green to pay someone to convert a YJ. Nothing limits your ability to modify your YJ more than paying someone else to do it. Trust me, I'm still learning this one.

Cheap 4" lift leaf springs will suck for a decent ride. Period. But if you want the "look", that and a body lift will get up in the air for a little down. You won't like how it rides, but it will give you the look you want. As for "darting" around town.... it's a jeep, it doesn't dart anywhere. If you want mind numbing acceleration and butt-cheek-clenching cornering ability, you need to buy a Miata with a V8 conversion.

BDS springs or Old Man Emu have the best reputation, and I have NEVER heard a complaint about these springs. That sez a lot, given most folks propensity to ***** about the color of the gold you give them. Cost you more, but you will be happier in the end. Don't forget quality shocks as well. And a drop pitman arm so you retain your steering geometry.

Ditch the trac bar. Trust me on this, or do a search. It's been covered many times. It was the first thing I did to my YJ, and it made a heck of a difference in the ride.

4" of lift? You'll want to do a slip yoke eliminator swap. This keeps your driveline from slipping out of the transfer case should you hyper-extend your suspension or break a u-joint. As it is now, pull the slip yoke out of the t-case and try to make it home.... well, you'll fry the t-case as all the fluid drains out the back. A T-case drop kit will help the driveline agle, not help if you break a u-joint.

Rear axle.... it really depends on how you drive. If you have a light foot and never go off road, the rear axle should hold up to larger tires. But hammer it a bit, and put any amount of signifcant torque to it, and you'll find out about the D35's reputation. Again, search. Axle upgrade choices are out there, some easier than others, some cheaper depending on where you live. Being in California, we are pretty much screwed when it comes to 100-dollar axle upgrades.

Rule number one of modifying your jeep: One thing seldom works by itself, and most modifications affect more than the part you modify. Search, read, and plan what you want to do before doing it. Your post is a good start, you asked a question. Now you have been given some answers. In the end, it's your jeep, do what you want to it and be happy with your YJ.

Again, Welcome!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.