YJ lift advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ lift advice

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ lift advice

Hi everyone. i just put some nice new fender flares on my jeep after the last ones were destroyed pretty. I'm now looking at a lift kit to add to my jeep to raise it to a point where it wont hit my flares unless a spring or something else breaks. the PO said he put an inch body lift and a 3 inch lift on by adding bigger shackles but after getting under there today i think he was either lying or oblivious. I've taken some pictures so yall can hopefully help me to decide what height to get. right now i'm thinking 4 inches

wp_000482.jpg   wp_000485.jpg   wp_000486.jpg   wp_000487.jpg  
yoyoyo109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's a half inch shackle lift and a one inch body lift.

The shackle reversal gives a little lift up front.
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm confused. Did the PO mount the shackles on the opposite side of where they're supposed to be?

This is a bad idea if this is more than a Mall Queen.

It does look like it's lifted a bit VIA shackles, but no 2" worth.

To get some more height you can do a bastard pack, or get a proper suspension lift. Do not go bigger than that BL you have right now.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like to consider this as much more than a mall queen. and i'm really not 100% sure what the previous guy did. said he had just put in a new clutch but had it serviced a while ago and there was hardly any friction material left in it!

but like I mentioned, I figured he lied about the lift so i'm looking for a 4 inch lift kit. i've seen some on 4wd from rubicon express, skyjacker and pro-comp that are all reasonably priced i think. they come with new shocks, extra brake line. longer steering components and tie linkages as well. Is there anything else i'll need to consider? and should i reverse the shackles to factory or will they be fine like this? I'm not planning on doing some heavy rock crawling but I do enjoy going to some of the offroading parks around me and play in the mud
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The three you want to buy are BDS, OME, and rubicon express. If you're looking for a couple more inches over your current setup then give a quick measurement to your rocker panels and your tire size. Then we can deduce the spring height. Then the recommendation.
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

it will be a while until I'm able to measure the distance, but i know my tires are 33s and they need to be about 2-4 inches further away from the fender flares
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That measurement is your proverbial jumping off point to determine how to gain said desired lift.
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

alright, it looks to be about 22 inches to my rocker panels, 19 to the nerf bars and i went ahead and threw in a picture of the spring if it helps
wp_000488.jpg   wp_000490.jpg  
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The stock measurement is 18" with 29" tires. You have 33" tires do that's 2" and a 1" body lift and half inch shackles. That's a little over the math but your springs are pretty saggy and your tires may not be exactly 33".

To gain the desired lift I would recommend BDS 2" springs and possibly a transfer case drop if you have vibes at all. Shocks should be for a 3" lift but it's best to measure with the new springs on and flex the suspension to gain the collapsed and extended lengths.
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at a Rubicon express 4 inch lift kit to get my tires plenty more clearance while at the same time getting a good amount of extra height in. I'm not sure if it comes with new shackles, but would the half inch shackle lift be an issue? And what else would I have to worry about? The kit comes with a drop pitman arm, longer tie linkages, track bar brackets and brake line extensions
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's a viable option as well. I don't think you would need the track bar brackets or the track bars at all for that matter.
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With a 4 inch lift plus the shackles you are getting into SYE territory as well. So add an SYE kit and CV style drive shaft.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well the jeep came with a SYE when I bought it, I'm not sure about the cv drive shaft but it also has a lowered skid plate
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pics of SYE and driveshaft please!
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyo109 View Post
Well the jeep came with a SYE when I bought it, I'm not sure about the cv drive shaft but it also has a lowered skid plate
If you have a SYE, you have a CV Drive shaft.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.