JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   YJ lift advice (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-lift-advice-1365865/)

yoyoyo109 05-06-2012 10:55 PM

YJ lift advice

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. i just put some nice new fender flares on my jeep after the last ones were destroyed pretty. I'm now looking at a lift kit to add to my jeep to raise it to a point where it wont hit my flares unless a spring or something else breaks. the PO said he put an inch body lift and a 3 inch lift on by adding bigger shackles but after getting under there today i think he was either lying or oblivious. I've taken some pictures so yall can hopefully help me to decide what height to get. right now i'm thinking 4 inches

Anticanman 05-06-2012 11:15 PM

That's a half inch shackle lift and a one inch body lift.

The shackle reversal gives a little lift up front.

idskot 05-06-2012 11:16 PM

I'm confused. Did the PO mount the shackles on the opposite side of where they're supposed to be?

This is a bad idea if this is more than a Mall Queen.

It does look like it's lifted a bit VIA shackles, but no 2" worth.

To get some more height you can do a bastard pack, or get a proper suspension lift. Do not go bigger than that BL you have right now.

yoyoyo109 05-06-2012 11:55 PM

I'd like to consider this as much more than a mall queen. and i'm really not 100% sure what the previous guy did. said he had just put in a new clutch but had it serviced a while ago and there was hardly any friction material left in it!

but like I mentioned, I figured he lied about the lift so i'm looking for a 4 inch lift kit. i've seen some on 4wd from rubicon express, skyjacker and pro-comp that are all reasonably priced i think. they come with new shocks, extra brake line. longer steering components and tie linkages as well. Is there anything else i'll need to consider? and should i reverse the shackles to factory or will they be fine like this? I'm not planning on doing some heavy rock crawling but I do enjoy going to some of the offroading parks around me and play in the mud

Anticanman 05-07-2012 12:05 AM

The three you want to buy are BDS, OME, and rubicon express. If you're looking for a couple more inches over your current setup then give a quick measurement to your rocker panels and your tire size. Then we can deduce the spring height. Then the recommendation.

yoyoyo109 05-07-2012 12:29 AM

it will be a while until I'm able to measure the distance, but i know my tires are 33s and they need to be about 2-4 inches further away from the fender flares

Anticanman 05-07-2012 01:24 AM

That measurement is your proverbial jumping off point to determine how to gain said desired lift.

yoyoyo109 05-07-2012 10:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
alright, it looks to be about 22 inches to my rocker panels, 19 to the nerf bars and i went ahead and threw in a picture of the spring if it helps

Anticanman 05-07-2012 11:45 AM

The stock measurement is 18" with 29" tires. You have 33" tires do that's 2" and a 1" body lift and half inch shackles. That's a little over the math but your springs are pretty saggy and your tires may not be exactly 33".

To gain the desired lift I would recommend BDS 2" springs and possibly a transfer case drop if you have vibes at all. Shocks should be for a 3" lift but it's best to measure with the new springs on and flex the suspension to gain the collapsed and extended lengths.

yoyoyo109 05-07-2012 02:28 PM

I've been looking at a Rubicon express 4 inch lift kit to get my tires plenty more clearance while at the same time getting a good amount of extra height in. I'm not sure if it comes with new shackles, but would the half inch shackle lift be an issue? And what else would I have to worry about? The kit comes with a drop pitman arm, longer tie linkages, track bar brackets and brake line extensions

Anticanman 05-07-2012 02:33 PM

That's a viable option as well. I don't think you would need the track bar brackets or the track bars at all for that matter.

Siva283 05-07-2012 02:56 PM

With a 4 inch lift plus the shackles you are getting into SYE territory as well. So add an SYE kit and CV style drive shaft.

yoyoyo109 05-07-2012 04:29 PM

Well the jeep came with a SYE when I bought it, I'm not sure about the cv drive shaft but it also has a lowered skid plate

Anticanman 05-07-2012 04:32 PM

Pics of SYE and driveshaft please!

idskot 05-07-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyoyo109 (Post 13531397)
Well the jeep came with a SYE when I bought it, I'm not sure about the cv drive shaft but it also has a lowered skid plate

If you have a SYE, you have a CV Drive shaft.

The time now is 09:51 PM.