YJ jeep question on vacuum system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ jeep question on vacuum system

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

YJ jeep question on vacuum system

Like some of you guys have read, I am new to jeeps. Have an 88 YJ sahara. I was owed money so I was given the jeep as pay.

Needless to say the 4x4 dosnt work. Went to a local jeep place and asked what I need to fix it. They said its most likely vacuum system (which I have read SUCKS), the guy said I need to buy a pasenger side axle for I BELIEVE he said a TJ model jeep and I could delete the vacuum system.

I googled deleting the vacuum system and could find a ton of stuff on a posi loc system to engage the 4x4 instead of the vacuum system but I dont know if thats what I need.

Can anyone help? is this ALL I need or is it going to be one of those when I get that part I also need this and that too? Easy to install?

If I delete the vacuum system can I take all the old parts out so there's less junk down there?

proFISHent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A bunch of us were just talking about this on another thread. Check it out here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...ocker-1418594/

So yes your right about the posiloc, it is basically a manual override for the vacuum actuated switch. From what I could tell its about 150 bucks and not too difficult to install. There is also a way to manually 'hack' this part to perma lock it. That hack is located in the stickies somewhere I believe. Then yes you can remove the vacuum line non sense.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to chime in as well.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks seatle!!!!! Love this site!
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Skip te posilock and just permalock the fork over. I know dodger did a writeup a while ago but I came upon the same results by just messing around with it. You need to lock the form over like this:

Unread 09-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Skip te posilock and just permalock the fork over. I know dodger did a writeup a while ago but I came upon the same results by just messing around with it. You need to lock the form over like this:
So if you slide that actuator over, will it just stay in place or do you need to add some hardware? It seems like if you slide it over it would slide back during daily driving.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nope. Remove the clip holding the fork onto the shaft (that slides) and lock the shaft in place essentially immobilizing it and sandwiching the fork into the locked position.
Unread 09-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj View Post
From what I could tell its about 150 bucks and not too difficult to install.
A brand new vacuum actuator was $89 from Advance, the Zone one required taking your old one apart and putting parts to the new one... But I recommend Canman's way or the one piece.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post

I opted for the posiloc last year to get rid of the non-functioning vaccuum actuator. Over the last month of so I've gotten a squeak/knock/? and found out that when I engage the posiloc the noise stops.

If I engage the posiloc and leave it engaged is there any chance of damaging the posiloc or the axle shaft? I know the front DS won't spin unless the tcase is engaged so no worry there. I just don't want to take the chance of the intermediate shaft being damaged from constantly spinning when it wasn't designed to. This is my DD and I'm putting about 25 or more miles a day on it.
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The front driveshaft WILL spin if you have a solid shaft on the passenger side. You'll have to get your shaft balanced if you notice any vibrations.
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
The front driveshaft WILL spin if you have a solid shaft on the passenger side. You'll have to get your shaft balanced if you notice any vibrations.
Hmmmm... That's one reason I didn't go the TJ axle shaft route. I'll tear onto it today and see what the deal is with the noise. Thanks for the info.
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ok. So if I do what was suggested and go with a "permalock" system that means I will always be in 4 wheel drive? sorry, new to the stuff. It is not going to be a daily driver but I will be using it highway going to and from hunting lease so I dont want things so stay engaged.

Is there any downsides to the posilock?
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you will not be in 4x all the time. Basically you wind up with a solid axle up front. You only are in 4x when you engage the lever.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The permalock will take the vacuum out of the equation so you only have to worry about the mechanical aspect of the transfer case going into gear. If you leave the wires intact t will say 4x4 all the time but it's not necessarily in 4 wheel drive. You may have to get your front shaft balanced if you lock the fork up front
Unread 09-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #14
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The permalock will take the vacuum out of the equation so you only have to worry about the mechanical aspect of the transfer case going into gear. If you leave the wires intact t will say 4x4 all the time but it's not necessarily in 4 wheel drive. You may have to get your front shaft balanced if you lock the fork up front
After you decide which method to make a solid front axle, you can change out the vacuum switch on the transfer case and use an electrical one from a mid 90s Cherokee to have your 4X4 light work when you engage the transfer to 4hi and 4low. It will cost about $20 for brand new stuff or about $5-10 at a junkyard.

Oh yeah and I used to live in Clermont! Its a lot different from when I lived there.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I tried 2 different posi lock cables, returned them both as the sucked and would not engage properly or stay engaged if it actually got it engaged.

If you have plans to put a locker up front, that is when you change out the axle to a one piece as you will already be taking it apart otherwise do it Canman's way.

Also if you have the locker in the front you won't need the light as you will easily be able to tell if you are in 4wd by the way it pulls.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.