yj issue that has me stumped good. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj issue that has me stumped good.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
mathnd01

yj issue that has me stumped good.

So its winter here in frozen Indiana and I just threw in a new spectra radiator to replace the most likely oem one that was leaking. Old one goes out, new one goes in no problems. Now afterward I tried to do a flush because I forgot before I took the old one out... Filled it with water .ran it at idle for a bit then tried to drain and it won't drain....I've gone so far as to disconnect both hoses and you can still touch the water/old antifreeze mixture at the top. SOME antifreeze came out when Ipulled the lower hose, but not enough for me to even add any new anti freeze in. What did i dick up?

Its a 92 4.0 5 speed yj, stock engine
Its freezing here in iIndiana...maybe something happened and the water froze somehow? It all was added and attempted to be drained within a few minutes... I ran the jeep in my driveway and it got up to 260 degree and had steam coming out of the radiator cap hole. Both hoses were cold and of course my hot air was ice cold. I'm stumped. I ddidn't have time to do a new thermostat today when I did the radiator as it took me forever to get the rusted old one out....could it have went bad and seized shut? If so, would the lower hose at least be warm? The radiator fluid that came out was nice and green colored...no rust or dirt and grime. Has anyone encountered a brand new radiator that came clogged? My jeep gets hot now like it has ZERO coolant flowing through it....which I suspect it doesn't. I tried adding fluid while it idled and I couldn't even get a cup in before it starting bubbling over.

mathnd01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think you may have frozen your whole cooling system as you indicated had crossed your mind already - Get it inside a heated space quick before you have permanent damage. Yes it can and will freeze that quick.

But first: are there plastic shipping plugs in the radiator hose barbs on the new unit?? Check quick and get the water out of there!!! I hope this comes out ok for you, really. But you are too far away fore to help other than this post.
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
mathnd01

What are radiator house barbs? Now I'm worried! I got it back in my garage, hopefully that'll help?
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
mathnd01

I didn't mean for it to take so long, but it took me hours to get the old one out and the temp dropped here....
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
mathnd01

It was stupid to use water...I should've used more radiator fluid so it wouldn't freeze....
Unread 11-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
mathnd01

Update: I got it in the garage and set up a space heater, came out later and found the fluid had drained down into the lower radiator portion...so I added more and filled it up right. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that I didn't blow a freeze plug or crack the radiator. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Unread 11-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathnd01
Update: I got it in the garage and set up a space heater, came out later and found the fluid had drained down into the lower radiator portion...so I added more and filled it up right. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that I didn't blow a freeze plug or crack the radiator. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Once you got real 50/50 in there you should just run it up to temp right away to circulate the freeze protection and rid your block of the water. No need to wait until tomorrow for one and for two there's the risk of freeze damage if you wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathnd01
What are radiator house barbs? Now I'm worried! I got it back in my garage, hopefully that'll help?
The inlets and outlets of the radiator are pipes with a lip or bulge swaged into them. A.k.a. hose barbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.