YJ internal slave cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ internal slave cylinder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-22-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
JKNIPE2000

YJ internal slave cylinder

hey everyone....im still having serious problems w/ my clutch system...ive posted a few time but cant seem to find the soloution. a few months ago my master was leaking inside my jeep and runningdown inside my pan. so, i went and got a new master and no problems...then two weekslater, i pulled into work adn coudlnt get into gear when i went to leave for home. i thought maybe my slave was leaking, so i checked the fluid and it was fine. had a friend tow it home...and i figured since i had to pull the tranny, and i needed another tranny anyways (synchros and major backlash), i ordered a reman from ManTrans in Florida. I also went ahead and put in new pilot bearing, slave cylinder/throwout bearing (all one piece), clutch and pressure plate...so now everything except for the line from the master to the slave is new, and the line is not leaking. Ive bled the system out on 10 or 11 different occasions over the last 3 weeks...and each time it will last anywhere from an hour to 2 days....then leak down and the pedal just goes straight to the floor. I cant see anywhere where fluid is leaking out, but air is somehow getting in?? Has anyone ever heard of such bs? any input would be helpful...maybe even if it applies to another make of vehicle w/ a similar system. Im at my wits end...its all brand new and i really dont wanna drop the tranny again. plz help....thanks in advance.

Jimmy

edit: oh ya, its a 90 YJ Islander, 4.2L, AX-15

Last edited by JKNIPE2000; 12-22-2003 at 02:24 PM..
JKNIPE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Jeepzilla

Are you losing the hydraulic fluid? If it is not coming from fittings, the concentric bearing is leaking. It will contaminate the clutch disc. You can't clean clutch discs, you have to replace... Make sure the clutch disc is dry. If the fluid is not going away, then it has to be air leak. If not from fittings, check the lid of the reservoir, the piston seal and the bleed valve. Correct adjustment is 1/2" freeplay at the top of the stroke. If you have been underfilling the system, sometimes that makes for spongy pedal.

You may have to just start over. Trying to reason out this kind of thing can just make you crazy.

93 YJ project. 4.0L, stick
MJ-7 re-body, Banks header, 2.5 " pipe, low resistence cat, Flowmaster. K&N filter thru a snorkel.
Jeepzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
lostboy

Try bench bleeding the master.... so many little passages in there that can hold air that aren't apparent when bleeding the system.
Mopar sells the newer external slave systems pre-filled with fluid. They come with master and slave attached. Guess they finally figured out how hard it is to replace the individual components.
So basically ,you'll bench bleed the master( most stores can do it ) and then install it and bleed the rest of the system.
Unread 12-23-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
lostboy

Hope my earlier post makes sense to you..... if you need ..pm me and I'll try to help you out.
Unread 12-24-2003, 04:59 AM   #5
JKNIPE2000

Thanks for the input guys....I think after a lot of confiding in others experience (hopefully!) Ive narrowed it down to a faulty master...so i ordered one from www.discountchryslerparts.com yesterday...more expensive than the aftermarket one I put on a few weeks ago, but much cheaper than going through the dealer. I just hope it arrives soon, not weeks from now. Errrr...gotta love a jeep lol. If it ever quits nickel and diming me im going to start setting it up for offroad...why cant it just understand that and be nice to me?

Jimmy
JKNIPE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
Fmahns1989yj

same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKNIPE2000
Thanks for the input guys....I think after a lot of confiding in others experience (hopefully!) Ive narrowed it down to a faulty master...so i ordered one from www.discountchryslerparts.com yesterday...more expensive than the aftermarket one I put on a few weeks ago, but much cheaper than going through the dealer. I just hope it arrives soon, not weeks from now. Errrr...gotta love a jeep lol. If it ever quits nickel and diming me im going to start setting it up for offroad...why cant it just understand that and be nice to me?

Jimmy
i have had the same problem with my yj, i find myself bleeding the clutch about once a day. i have been through three master cylinders and i have had the clutch replaced on the jeep about a year ago. i have the same problem...losing pressure, and having to bleed the clutch wherever i am in order to get home.. i dont know what else to do to help my jeep....any imout from you would be helpful thanks
Frank
rochester ny
Fmahns1989yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
Fmahns1989yj

same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKNIPE2000

Jimmy
i have had the same problem with my yj, i find myself bleeding the clutch about once a day. i have been through three master cylinders and i have had the clutch replaced on the jeep about a year ago. i have the same problem...losing pressure, and having to bleed the clutch wherever i am in order to get home.. i dont know what else to do to help my jeep....any imout from you would be helpful thanks not sure how this forum works...i am new to it..my email is frizz6202002@yahoo.com
Frank
rochester ny
Unread 03-03-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
sequel

I was gonna ask what kind of parts are you using? I've heard of people using cheap slaves and having them go out after just 2 days.
285/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers
sequel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #9
Fmahns1989yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequel
I was gonna ask what kind of parts are you using? I've heard of people using cheap slaves and having them go out after just 2 days.
thanks for responding ...i have been through three autozone (brakeware) master cylinders. i have not replaced the slave, im not sure if the slave could be the problem or not, i think i might try and get a decent master cylinder from the dealer possibly, thanks for responding , any other info would be much appreciated thanks again
Frank
Unread 03-03-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
sequel

I would not be surprised if it's the slave. My slave went out repeatidly over 4 months. More frequently near the end. I read a zillion posts about it and everyone said that it was the slave and they were right.

When it finally went, after a good couple of hours playing in the mud, i ordered a LUK pro gold kit with a M/C. I've heard good stuff about them so I thought I'd try it out. So far so good. Been in for a month.
285/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers
sequel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
lukydog

Hmmm, I've also replaced everything (tranny, slave, throwout bearing, master), and I'm still having a problem too. Not as bad as yours though. Mine just goes to the floor once in a great while, and then works after pumping it a couple of times. I've bled the crap out of it, I'm not losing any fluid, and the master is still full. I came to the conclusion that the slave is defective, and the plunger inside it is not seating fully when this happens. But I would be curious to see if the new master fixes your problem, might save me from pulling the tranny again. Thanx.
lukydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.