YJ Ignition Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Ignition Help

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Ignition Help

Hello All,

I have a 87 YJ 4.2L, when I turn the key at on poistion (not yet to start the jeep), no power at all, no electronics. So the Jeep won't even start. Battery is good and tested the solenoid and it works. Is there a fuse that I have to check in the middle somewhere or is the problem in the steering column area. Thanks for the help.

RCYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCYJ View Post
Hello All,

I have a 87 YJ 4.2L, when I turn the key at on poistion (not yet to start the jeep), no power at all, no electronics. So the Jeep won't even start. Battery is good and tested the solenoid and it works. Is there a fuse that I have to check in the middle somewhere or is the problem in the steering column area. Thanks for the help.
might be an inline linkable fuse under the battery. happend to me a few months ago when my choke wire shorted out on the valve cover
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
jozeppi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im haveing the same problem with mine the starter and the battery are brand new the alt i put in about 3 years ago its a 136 amp so i have no idea what it is
jozeppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
jozeppi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

and plus it shut off while i was driving it
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post
might be an inline linkable fuse under the battery. happend to me a few months ago when my choke wire shorted out on the valve cover
Is this wire connected to the battery or connected to the solenoid. There's three wires connected to terminal of the solenoid along with the positive battery cable. Thanks.
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeppi View Post
and plus it shut off while i was driving it
Mine started fine and as I was warming up the Jeep it just shut off. That was the last time I had electronics with the ignition on. We both definitely have some kind of a short somewhere.
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
jozeppi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna try changing the relays under the hood lets hope that does it cuz last time I paid to tow it to the shop and when he got in it in the morning and tried it guess what it started all day so I took it back anemone problems till now go figure
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jozeppi you need to post up to your own post. Your electronics are light years different from RC and what will fix his is not even close to yours. RC, yes the fuseable links are the wires that attach to the solinoid.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
RCYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Fixed it! The solenoid was not mounted tight enough to the wall so there was a bad ground. I think it might have damaged the solenoid so after I replaced it the Jeep started. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.