YJ hub lockouts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ hub lockouts

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-29-2001, 05:25 PM   #1
AirborneJay
2002 TJ Wrangler 

YJ hub lockouts

Hey guys I'm new to the jeep world, (just bought an 87 YJ)and I was wondering if there is any way to get rid of that vacume hub lock out. Is there any way to make it manual, other than that high doller kit that warn sells??? thanks in advance for the help.. and keep wheelin.. later

Unread 04-29-2001, 08:11 PM   #2
Newfie

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but there's a kit that converts the vacuum system to a cable system. Still uses the same principle but isn't dependent on the vacuum (and that %$#@! hose). It's called "4x4 Posi-Lok".

Thinking about getting one for myself since I lifted my '95 and the hose pops off sometimes when the front axle flexs. HTH
Unread 04-30-2001, 01:18 PM   #3
rayray

Another way to get rid of the vaccuum actuator is to replace your axle shaft with TJ shafts. You will need to replace the seals as well. Since your's is an 87, you must replace the stub ends too. Doing so will also upgrade you to 297x ujoints and hardend shafts. It's a great upgrade.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2001, 10:12 PM   #4
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you take rayray's advice, you may possibly have to get your front driveshaft rebalanced to stop high speed vibes. Other than that, it is a great upgrade.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2001, 10:51 AM   #5
rayray

True, I forgot about that. Good catch Tonka.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2001, 12:34 PM   #6
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I upgraded my '90 xj to the tj axleshafts, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the need for rebalancing.

Hey Newfie... try zip ties, thats what keeps mine on.
Unread 05-01-2001, 07:23 PM   #7
AirborneJay
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, one question though how does do the TJ axleshafts get rid of the vacume actuater?
Unread 05-01-2001, 07:30 PM   #8
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of having a 2 shafts that use a collar to engage the tj shaft is 1 piece with no collar

By the way, a locker in the front of a disco equipped jeep could also cause vibes. Yet another reason to have the front shaft balanced
Unread 05-01-2001, 08:27 PM   #9
AirborneJay
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok Tonka, so with that swap are the hubs always engaged? I don't understand how that works? please explain... thanks
Unread 05-01-2001, 09:31 PM   #10
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

With an open differential, on a yj, the axle on the passenger side that connects to the differential and runs about half way through the passenger side axle tube is called an intermediate shaft. The intermediate shaft has external splines(teeth) on both ends. Next you have the shaft that holds the u-joint,outer shaft as i'll call it.It has splines on one end and ears for the u-joint on the other
The splined end touches the intermediate shaft, and the eared end stays outside of the axle tube.
There is a collar that has internal splines.
the collar ,when in 2wd rides only on the splines of the outer shaft. When 4wd is engauged the vacuum motor moves the collar over to touch the splines of both the intermediate shaft, and the outer shaft,making the connection to the differential .

the tj axle eliminates the intermediate shaft, and the shift motor and collar.
The tj axle has splines on one end, and ears on the other. It runs from the u-joint all the way to the differential.

YJ's and TJ's don't have selectable hubs, so they are always engauged.
the disconnect on a yj "acts" like a selectable hub, but only with an open (stock)differential. The driveshaft won't spin on a stock yj when in 2wd because of the disconnect.
On a tj there is no disconnect to stop the driveshaft from spinning, so it "acts" like the hubs are always locked, and the driveshaft spins in 2 and 4wd.

I hope this helps, it is kind of hard to understand unless you can get hands on experience to go with the talk
Unread 05-02-2001, 12:06 AM   #11
AirborneJay
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again Tonka, I got it now, not sure what I'm gonna go with yet, but I appreciate the the info....
Unread 06-26-2001, 08:13 PM   #12
shea324@aol.com

I was considering upgrading to a TJ axleshaft, but with a stock open differential, would the front driveshaft be turning while driving? I have a temporary (homemade) fix on mine right now, so i know the humm that the front driveshaft makes while spinning at 70 mph (in 2wd). I wouldnt want this all the time but if having an open differential would solve that problem then I think I will go that way.
Unread 06-28-2001, 04:50 PM   #13
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes, if you upgrade to tj shafts on an early xj or all yj's your driveshaft will spin all of the time, even with an open differential.

The driveshaft vibrations are usually not bad, but can eat u-joints quicker, so I personally would have the driveshaft balanced.

I know all about the "homemade" fixes for the disconnect, my shift fork was actually broken in 3 places before I replaced it today
(it was about $9.75 through 4wd hardware4wd hardware)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.