YJ- how much should you drop your transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ- how much should you drop your transfer case

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
austinphe
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ- how much should you drop your transfer case

hey i am just trying to figure out whether i have to drop my transfer case at all with the 1" shackle lift i did on my yj, and what the ratio is when u raise your jeep. by that i mean how much do you have to drop the transfer case per 1" of lift on the suspension? and what else is required to change/modify when you lift a jeep and why? any info is much appreciated!

austinphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

First of all, every jeep is different. A 1" shackle lift shouldn't necessitate a transfer case drop at all. Usually somewhere between 3 and 5 inches there will be sufficient vibration that will require the use if a transfer case drop or even better: a SYE and DC driveshaft.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 1" shackle lift on my YJ. No such vibrations. If you get vibrations from a 1" shackle lift, then you might have some big issues to deal with...

And I'd never drop the t-case when lifting a Jeep, that pretty much defeats the entire purpose of the lift in the first place..

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
austinphe
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont have any vibrations, but i just dont know anything about what goes into raising a jeep. so if you get a 3-5" you can either drop the case with w/e spacers come with the kit or you can put a longer driveshaft in?
austinphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Correct

Here is what your driveline or pinion angle should look like.
tomwoods1.gif  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The axle pinion angle and transfer case angle should match on the stock rear drive line setup. When you lift the jeep say 4 inches, the transfer case is raised above the rear axle. Even though the angles theoretically still match, the drive line angle is increased and the ds is shortened, often causing bad drive line vibrations/excessive u-joint wear. Dropping the transfer case, reduces total drive line angle, reducing or eliminating vibrations and reducing u-joint wear.

If your shackle lift completely changes the pinion angle of your axle, you may need to compensate for that, but the only way to tell for sure is by installing the shackles. If you get vibrations, you have a few options. I would personally recommend a SYE since that is one of the best methods to cure driveline vibrations. It also allows the pinion and transfer case to have mismatched angles (to a point)

Check this link for more info an pics... http://4xshaft.com/CJ.asp
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinphe View Post
I dont have any vibrations, but i just dont know anything about what goes into raising a jeep. so if you get a 3-5" you can either drop the case with w/e spacers come with the kit or you can put a longer driveshaft in?
Yes, but putting a longer DS in means a SYE. Some lifts over about 3 to 4" will still have vibration with a TC drop and require a SYE and CV driveshaft.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The biggest problem is the shorter drive shaft. Even with a slip yoke you can end up without enough length to keep the shaft in the seal and on the output shaft. On the street no problem but when flexed on the trail it may come off or be stressed enough to break.

The brake lines can be moved a little at the front Anitcanman has a great picture how he did it. You will have to jack your rig and check droop on the fronts and rears to see the impact.
broken-slip-yoke.jpg

sye3.jpg

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
billy_butler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have also seen cases where the T-case rubs against the skid plate when you do a T-case drop. i would not imagine a 1 inch lift would cause any vibes or problems.
billy_butler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.