YJ Hemi Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Hemi Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
danderson3789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Hemi Conversion

I picked up an 87 YJ recently and I want to install a 5.7 liter hemi and tranny from a Dodge ram into the YJ. Someone had already swapped the 4.2 liter carb motor for a 4.0 fuel injected motor. The jeep runs fine, so I am in no hurry to get the swap done. The hemi, tranny, electronic gas pedal and all the electronics are sitting in a working 83 Dodge dakota, so I know that all is good and everything is present.

I have stock axles front and rear and a stock transfer case.

Two questions. First, any advice on the motor swap, any pictures, any big concerns, please HELP.

Second, I know the rear axle simply will not tolerate all that power, especially if I end up at the sand dunes (which is my goal). I can change the rear axle for a Ford 8.8 and keep my bolt pattern, gain disc brakes and stay fairly consistent on width. I have a friend who has a Toyota axle from a Toyota truck that he thinks is great. The axle is not as wide and the bolt pattern is 6 on 5.5, I believe. The good news for the Toyota axle is that it has my gears already in it with a lock rite locker and the price is great. I wonder if I am selling myself short on the Toyota axle. I really do not know a lot about rear axles, especially in this application.

Any thoughts on rear axles capable of handling a 5.7 liter hemi.

danderson3789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Jabo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Go with the ford 8.8 same bolt pattern and just about the same length, maybe 1/2" on each side shorter and disc brakes are much better.
Jabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 rear, and the front D30 should be fine up front unless you get stupid.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
cheese_man
1977 CJ7 

it is easier to swap in a ford 351 windsor engine

just use amc engine mounts ( the wiring for the engine is already there )
cheese_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson3789 View Post
I picked up an 87 YJ recently and I want to install a 5.7 liter hemi and tranny from a Dodge ram into the YJ. Someone had already swapped the 4.2 liter carb motor for a 4.0 fuel injected motor. The jeep runs fine, so I am in no hurry to get the swap done. The hemi, tranny, electronic gas pedal and all the electronics are sitting in a working 83 Dodge dakota, so I know that all is good and everything is present.

I have stock axles front and rear and a stock transfer case.

Two questions. First, any advice on the motor swap, any pictures, any big concerns, please HELP.

Second, I know the rear axle simply will not tolerate all that power, especially if I end up at the sand dunes (which is my goal). I can change the rear axle for a Ford 8.8 and keep my bolt pattern, gain disc brakes and stay fairly consistent on width. I have a friend who has a Toyota axle from a Toyota truck that he thinks is great. The axle is not as wide and the bolt pattern is 6 on 5.5, I believe. The good news for the Toyota axle is that it has my gears already in it with a lock rite locker and the price is great. I wonder if I am selling myself short on the Toyota axle. I really do not know a lot about rear axles, especially in this application.

Any thoughts on rear axles capable of handling a 5.7 liter hemi.
Sell yourself short on a Yoda axle? They will take a beating and come back for more, and yes it is a 6 on 5.5 Their weak point is when you gear them over 5.29 (not enough teeth from the pinion to the carrier); but running 4.10 they are very hearty. I must admit I am also a Yoda finatic also. I would love to have that locker from that axle though if you go with a ford 8.8 ;-) Seeing as you would have to get new rims if you go Toyota vs Ford, I have a feeling which way you are going to go with; good luck.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
danderson3789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone actually put a 5.7 liter hemi in a jeep? the chevy 350 has been done a thousand times but i never hear anyone talk about a 5.7 hemi. ???
Unread 03-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Has anyone actually put a 5.7 liter hemi in a jeep? the chevy 350 has been done a thousand times but i never hear anyone talk about a 5.7 hemi. ???
There have been a few into TJ's, not sure if I've seen one in a YJ. I'm sure its been done though.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

the 4.2 is what came in the 87YJ the 4.0 did not start until '91 for yj's.

I don't know if you mistyped but I don't think an '83 dodge had a hemi or if they made a dakota in '83. the hemi was not reintroduced until the 2000's dont know exact year and they have not put one in a dakota unless they are going to in the 2011.
I know i would not worry about the 8.8 behind a v8 but if you are concerned you could look into swapping 3/4 ton axles in it if you don't mind the full width.
Unread 03-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
danderson3789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tobias, thanks for the input. As I stated, the 4.2 in the YJ was replaced by previous owner with a 4.0 out of a 99 cherokee. The 5.7 liter hemi came out of a dodge ram pickup and has been in the 83 dodge dakota for about a year and half. So, while you are correct that those were not factory options, they are in fact what is in both vehicles.

So, my question remains the same: Can anyone help me with some insight into fitting a 5.7 liter hemi into my Jeep YJ? I dont want to get head long into the project and realize that the firewall has to be cut away to accomodate the bellhousing or that mount locations are too wide for a simple motor mount change. Or the mounting depth of the motor would require major relocation of the radiator, etc. If someone out there has done this, even in a TJ, they should be able to give me a heads up or some helpful hints.

Thanks for the input so far.
Unread 03-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
danderson3789
1987 YJ Wrangler 

one typo, 93 dodge dakota, not 83. A hemi is still not a factory option for a 93 dakota.
Unread 03-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #11
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Tobias, thanks for the input. As I stated, the 4.2 in the YJ was replaced by previous owner with a 4.0 out of a 99 cherokee. The 5.7 liter hemi came out of a dodge ram pickup and has been in the 83 dodge dakota for about a year and half. So, while you are correct that those were not factory options, they are in fact what is in both vehicles.

So, my question remains the same: Can anyone help me with some insight into fitting a 5.7 liter hemi into my Jeep YJ? I dont want to get head long into the project and realize that the firewall has to be cut away to accomodate the bellhousing or that mount locations are too wide for a simple motor mount change. Or the mounting depth of the motor would require major relocation of the radiator, etc. If someone out there has done this, even in a TJ, they should be able to give me a heads up or some helpful hints.

Thanks for the input so far.
I was making sure you had what you thought you had. i have seen alot of people get ripped off and lied too.
I have heard of it done in a tj more than a yj but it should not be too much different especially if you have the ecu from the 99 4.0. now most of the time it is done using a conversion kit from AEV. but if you look at other v8 swaps then you can see as far swapping engine from even chevy or ford the wrangler is pretty easy. the v8 is actually shorter than the 4.0 so no you will not need to cut your firewall. since you already have the 99 4.0 i am going to assume you have the ECU also. on Hemi swaps they make a wire harness adapter i think so all of the stock guages will work. transmission i would get would be a 5-45rfe if I was going auto. do your research but I believe a 23 spline np231 will bolt right to this tranny. go and check out advance adapter and check out the link yj hemi swap but also google search it because I know it has been done and i am sure there are write ups already.
also if you decide to do it get you camera handy and start a thread on the build because I guarantee it will be one of the most popular threads. I know I will follow it wanting to see your progress. Good luck.
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you decide to do this I will be happy to do some wrenchin on it. All I need is Pizza and Beer
GottaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
kbfunTH
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Atomic 4x4 in Cedar Park TX does 5.7 Hemi conversions. They may be able to offer some assistance.

http://www.atomic4x4.com/
Acts 4:12
kbfunTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
CJMadd

I'll Help with you're SWAP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaYJ View Post
If you decide to do this I will be happy to do some wrenchin on it. All I need is Pizza and Beer
I'm doing the same swap, except my 1987 YJ still has the carbarated 6 cylinder in. I'm pulling my Hemi motor out of my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab, but It's a 2wd so I'm going to have to find a manual transmission. I should be able to help you with you're swap..
The first thing you'll need is the wiring pin-outs for a 1990 Jeep with a 4.0. Then You'll need the computer pin-outs for the Hemi..I can post the pin-outs on the Hemi, but it's important to know what year Hemi you have. Dodge re-introduced the Hem in 2003, But it didn't have a EGR , and the ECM and TCM were separate units. In 2004 They added the EGR and did away with the TCM combining them together in one computer. They changed the wiring pin-outs again in 2005 and added a way to get more power and re-adjust the transmission with a chip. In 2006 they changed it again , then again in 07. The best Harness and computer to use is an 04..Then you're motor can be a 03'-05'.
When I put My 2004 Hemi Rumble Bee Motor in My 2001 Dakota Quad Cab, I learned a lot about wiring Hemi's. Now I have to figure out how to make it work in a NON fuel injected Jeep. I'll probably have to use my gauges and PDC from the Dakota... Not sure , But If you want to put two threads together and post pics and info from both we can. We could probably help each other..
You can see my Dakota Hemi build thread by going to www.DodgeForum.com Search Dakota Hemi Swap. My Name on that is HemiDak-Quad. You'll find the Hemi pin-outs for 2003-2004 ECM & TCM, I think on page 8..Pics of the truck are on 10 , and there's a burnout..
Have you started you're build, or put the motor in yet ??
CJMadd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
triplej1954
1981 CJ7 

Did you do this conversion. I have an 87 YJ and I have a 2005 Hemi with an auto transmission from a wreck given to me for pulling it out. Summit sells an computer that they told me would work (have not tried yet). I am looking at doing this and if you can give any advice it would be helpful.
triplej1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.