yj hei - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj hei

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #46
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Correct me if im wrong here but that diagram and ensuing relay scheme is for earlier versions of jeep wiring than the 89 we are talking about.My 89 does not have a resistor in the power wire and it is Yellow not red.My yellow wire is also 12 gauge already. Just bypass the harness altogether and take the power yellow from the harness side plug that used to go to the icm under the wiper bottle.Run new wire and seal up any old wiring from your current setup. Also my tach wire @ the back of the tach is solid green and can be traced directly to the same plug I told ya to get yer power from.The plug only has 2 wires going to it...one yellow and one green.Unless you have a different harness than other 89 yj's you can breath easy cause you don't need a relay correcting shceme.
The reason u wanna pull new wires from that plug is so u know they are clean switched power with nothing else draining them at tap -in points as may be the case with the original power lead..

This all is what I gathered from searchin on here anyway so just wanted to share if it helps

ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #47
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That may be true, but I would still suggest he double-check the wiring just to be sure. My 90 has the green wire at the coil rather than red as your describing but only had ~9v on it. Thus why I chose to use the relay. It's not too hard to wire up and eliminates the possibility of those issues. If he is getting full battery voltage on the green wire and it doesnt fluctuate much then there should be no need for the relay. As for the tach, mine was green with a white trace.

tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #48
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestJeep89
Correct me if im wrong here but that diagram and ensuing relay scheme is for earlier versions of jeep wiring than the 89 we are talking about.My 89 does not have a resistor in the power wire and it is Yellow not red.My yellow wire is also 12 gauge already. Just bypass the harness altogether and take the power yellow from the harness side plug that used to go to the icm under the wiper bottle.Run new wire and seal up any old wiring from your current setup. Also my tach wire @ the back of the tach is solid green and can be traced directly to the same plug I told ya to get yer power from.The plug only has 2 wires going to it...one yellow and one green.Unless you have a different harness than other 89 yj's you can breath easy cause you don't need a relay correcting shceme.
The reason u wanna pull new wires from that plug is so u know they are clean switched power with nothing else draining them at tap -in points as may be the case with the original power lead..

This all is what I gathered from searchin on here anyway so just wanted to share if it helps
Good point,

I included YJ in my search parameters and skimmed most of the messages, but I figured I'd over look some points. DUI ought to have instal instructions with diagrams, but my experience is that diagrams tend to be generalized, so I thought I'd post questions along with my research here.

With all the advice from the experiences here, I feel like this should install fairly easy and with minimal modifications.

Part is slated to arrive this afternoon, I'll be sure to share my results...and try to take pics within the next few days. In the mean time, if you all would be willing to share anything else related to the DUI install for a Nuttered '89 YJ I-6, I'd be most appreciative. :-)
123YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #49
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

image-1691480890.jpg

DUI is here. Time for a weaver to help with the install.
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #50
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats purdy! Enjoy!

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #51
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So the hardware is all installed, just reading up on the wiring before I make the connections.

If I'm understanding correctly, the two wires that go to the HEI distributor are the two wires that went to the OEM coil...right? The OEM coil had a green with white thread (presumably the tach wire) and a yellow (presumably the power wire). I do not see any type of inline resistor on the yellow, so, can I assume that both of these wires can go directly to the DUI?

Green w/ white = Tach
Yellow = 12v

Thoughts?
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #52
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have access to a Haynes manual or something along those lines? I don't at the moment or I would double check it for you.
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #53
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslroper
Do you have access to a Haynes manual or something along those lines? I don't at the moment or I would double check it for you.
My Haynes does not include that specific diagram. I'm showering, er...scouring the web now for one...
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123YJ

My Haynes does not include that specific diagram. I'm showering the web now for one...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...Engine_4.2.pdf

Page 3 of 8 looks like what I have.
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #55
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123YJ

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...Engine_4.2.pdf

Page 3 of 8 looks like what I have.
I am able to trace the green/white from the coil to the ICM on my jeep, and the diagram shows that it splices TO the tach.
I am thinking that it can be used as the tach wire after I cap it off at the ICM.

The yellow wire goes to the starter relay and should serve as solid power even though it splices to a resistor before the ICM & other equipment...yes?

If not, how would you clean that rats nest? Lol
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #56
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds correct off the top if my head. Measure the voltage on the yellow wire to make sure your getting full battery voltage though.
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #57
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update,

Got everything wired up save for the plug wires as I was trying to be cheap and thought I could use the wires I had (they're only a year old. But they are 7mm and have different sized attachments for the cap. My son has my truck till later this evening...Hope to get new wires tonight or tomorrow.

Here is what I have done.
  1. Pulled # 1 plug and set that cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke
  2. Removed distributor cap and noted rotor position (6 O-clock-ish)
  3. Marked Firing order on old & new cap.
  4. Unplugged ICM
  5. Removed existing coil and confirmed 12 volts through yellow wire with key turned on (yes, it's switched)
  6. Crimped new connectors onto yellow, & the green w/ white thread wires
  7. Removed existing distributor
  8. With a slotted screw driver, turned the oil pump spline to the 9 & 3 O-clock position
  9. Installed DUI gasket
  10. set Rotor of DUI to the 5 O-clock position & installed, noting how it turned clockwise to approx. the 6:30 position
  11. Confirmed the distributor was seated to the engine & installed clamp.
  12. Located notch and installed cap.
  13. Gapped plugs To .050
  14. Plugged green w/white thread wire to the Tach, and Yellow to the Batt, on distributor.
  15. Rotated distributor to check for ability to adjust when running

Will post more after wires are installed.
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #58
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what are you getting for plug wires? I see why you didn't get the wires from davis, 90 bucks!

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #59
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob
what are you getting for plug wires? I see why you didn't get the wires from davis, 90 bucks!
Yup.

I'm actually looking for wires now. Not sure what $30-$50 set of wires to look for.

Anyone here have suggestions?
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #60
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sp...8-hei-1335029/

I here the arguments; however I'm really leaning towards the Belden Max Pro (700230)...

Here's a start to my research

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.