yj hei - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj hei

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dealing with random stalls and no starts (engine cranks but no spark coming out of the coil) I have 12 volts going to the coil, but no spark coming out. My ground is at 35 Ohms coming from the ICM. Research indicates a bad ICM. To circumvent this I'm considering the CRT HEI distributer. However, there seem to be mixed reviews.

Can anyone shed anymore light on the subject of the CRT causing Cam damage (I read this thread). but there are also quite a few good reviews...like the thread I'm responding too.

An email has been sent to CRT to see if they are aware and what can be done to prevent this from continuing...

As a note: I own a 1989 YJ 4.2L, I-6. I think I read that Cam problems were associated with other engines...Yes?

Appreciate any advice you might have.

Rick

123YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

like I posted earlier I have about 25k miles on my CRT hei and recently pulled it and checked the cam gear, no problem. many others have had the same result.
I read the thread you linked, a few of the posters are a little biased as they sell team rush parts.
if it really bothers you, MSD is another choice but if you dig hard enough you can find some problems there too.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have had my CRT for many years and many thousands of miles with no problem at all.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

RoadyRob & vadslram,

Cool Beans!

So not to screw up, I'm ordering the CRT258c (w/ wires) for my 1989 4.2L I-6 YJ...right?

Thanks!
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats the one.

Unread 08-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #21
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have to admit; the amount of negative crap regarding CRT Performance HEI's prior to 2010 is making it hard to pull the trigger.
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Took the plunge.

I see CRT Performance is located in MA; I'm in PA. Any idea how long Processing & shipping might take?
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123YJ View Post
I have to admit; the amount of negative crap regarding CRT Performance HEI's prior to 2010 is making it hard to pull the trigger.
many of us bought ours before 2010 and have had good results.
good move on ordering it, you will be happy.

Unread 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
stumper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I put a CRT in my 89 no problems at all. With that said I do not have many miles on it yet. I did an HEI in my CJ, I had an old six cylinder GM unit and bought a gear from ebay who swore it was made in USA It works great for 10,000 plus miles. With the price of the gear, custom wires, new cap and rotor , wiring pigtail I had almost as much money in that one as CRT charges for a complete drop in unit. Hope this helps
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have exact shipping info, it was too long ago but I ordered Monday and was able to install that weekend.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a drill test to assure your gear is kosher.Basically if the gear drills yer fine ,if not I wouldn't use the gear.I was in the market for an hei awhile back and the owner and I had an e-mail where I said I wanted to buy one and then do a review on it and I asked what his take on all the people complainin about hardned gears was. He said he had no idea what I was talkin about and denied it completely even tho I had read many such testimonies on this site.Do a search for more specifics on that.
Also u might wanna be aware of your advance curve now as crt doesn't tune those dizzys for our motor in particular.
Also be prepared for horrible customer service should u need help as I have also read reports of people havin to wait up to 6 months to get a response when needed[I chose not to buy a crt so I have no direct experience there].
I chose to pick up a DUI as it was the best I could afford right now and also it got high quality reviews here on JF.The DUI is tuned for our motor has good total advance,parts can be easily replaced and so far the customer service has been top notch.I will say outright tho that mine arrived non-functional and is currently being looked at by Davis and they say it has an "odd" problem.My views on DUI are subject to change but so far they had a prepaid ups label and truck at my door the next day and are on it.
Also my motor is safe with their gear.
Don't forget to upgrade yer plug wires too:}
ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

hooking up a HEI is simple, you shouldn't need to contact anyone unless the unit is faulty. from what I've read DUI is an excellent distributor but the vacuum advance is not adjustable. I'd prefer being able to adjust it if necessary, don't see how they can possibly set it for every motor as we all have different builds.

Unread 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The problem is from what CRT told me is they can no longer get the Iron gear, so all the newer ones are hardened. When I bought mine I had to order a used gear from ebay to get the correct gear.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I HIGHLY recommend DUI as i recently installed one when I rebuilt my 258. Yes, the vacuum advance is non-adjustable and the stated reason from Performance Distributors was the adjustable advance is not as reliable, more failure-prone and can lose its adjustment over time. They custom tune the distributor to your application and offer great customer service. I had an issue with my distributor adding a tad too much (6*) timing from the vacuum advance and the company shipped a "less aggressive" vacuum advance canister the same day on their dime. It provided the perfect amount of advance for my motor and the problem was solved. The mechanical advance was spot on straight out of the box. I highly recommend them based on the quality of the product and their customer service.

As to how they set it, when you order your distributor they ask for all the information on your particular motor. I told them exactly what I was doing to my motor in the rebuild and what my long-term plans were.
tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #30
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup. Read most of the reviews regarding CRT Performance. Though I am concerned about the gear and customer service, I see a fair amount of good reviews with many miles under their belt. The price of a DUI kept them out of the loop. Hoping I don't regret that...

Oh, and yes, I bought the Plug wire kit too.

I'll try and keep you guys up to date regarding my experiences with CRT Performance.

R

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.