YJ Heat Control on "Vent" setting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Heat Control on "Vent" setting?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
DaleG

YJ Heat Control on "Vent" setting?

Hey, hope I'm posting this right, and to the right place; newbie here.

I recently picked up a '95 TJ for my son, and we both love it. I've been fixing up a few things on it, and have a question about the heating controls.

It has no AC.

Everything works normally, but when flipping to "VENT," nothing blows.

I have some service manuals for the TJ, but nothing seems to cover the Heating lever.

I haven't had it apart yet, but I notice on a photo of the heat controls, there's a switch in behind that seems like it would be closed if the heater were put on "VENT."

(See here: http://www.eadoffroad.com/image/cach...71-500x500.jpg on upper right, this switch you can feel closing when you go to vent. What does it do?)

Are there separate fans, or something else electrical that has to take place to switch to the vent setting?

(I'm confused as to why it isn't just a vacuum thingy, and why a switch is involved...)

Any insight greatly appreciated. Defrost and Heat settings both work fine.

Thanks,

-dale

DaleG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
jmmorgan82

The vent setting is just that, a fresh air vent from the outside. There is no fan pushing or pulling the air into the cab.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
DaleG

Ah, this explains much. Thanks.

(I remember something similar on an old, old, car of my dad's, but haven't seen that behaviour since; new to Wrangler's, but it won't be our last! )
DaleG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
jmmorgan82

Np. Took me a few days when I got my YJ to figure it out as well. Welcome to the Jeep world.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
My fan will not come on unless the switch is on vent
Then the HVAC control head is not working correctly. Vent has no power to the blower or any other electrical device.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control , heat , vent , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.