YJ Hardtop and Soft Upper Doors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Hardtop and Soft Upper Doors?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
herb101
2005 LJ Wrangler 

YJ Hardtop and Soft Upper Doors?

I've got an '87 YJ that I bought with no top (and not much else). I've got a hardtop from an '88 YJ that I've put on it and I've got the factory half-doors. I live in Texas and have no AC - so I LOVE the half doors!

I absolutely hate upper door sliders and don't care much for full hard doors. I'd like to run the soft door uppers but I'm having trouble coming up with a solution to do that. I have a set of Bestot soft uppers, but the dimensions are 'off'. The shape is OK at the top corner, but the upper is about 1-1/2" too long. The rounded 'kickout' above the stricker is much less pronounced on the Bestop uppers than a factory hard door, but I'm less concerned about that. The rear upper corner fit good, but the windsheild angle seems to be off too (yes, I am sure they are for a YJ - not a TJ- they have a snap at the front flap). I'm looking for a solution that will be fairly weather-tight and affordable. The fiberglass slider uppers I've found are like 10% of the total build-up cost of my Jeep - no dice! (not to mention - I don't want those...)

Any ideas or has anyone else driven down this trail already?

Thanks,
Herb
(Wet in SA)

herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
dsearcy

with soft uppers there is a plastic piece that is bolted to the windshield frame. the soft top, when up, is attached to it. The plastic piece allows for there to be a nice seal. so you will probably need to make something for the door to make a seal with.
dsearcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
Bigbluejeep

If you can weld and feel like doing very little work. I found that TJ upper softdoors will fit perfectly on YJ half hard doors. THe only thing that is off is the Rods that stick in the door. They stick out a little too far. I was going to do this but then decided that maybe I just won't run doors anymore at all.
Welded Tow Hooks Front & Rear
Soft Top (hard top got lost in a rollover)
KC Daylighters
55 watt running lights mounted in Frame for Night Rockin
33/12.50/15 Buckshot Mudders
Rear Lock-rite (best mod ever!)
Detroit Front Locker
Flowmaster
2" BL
[SIZE=5][URL=http://www.bigbluejeep.com]www.BigBlueJeep.com[/URL][/SIZE]
Bigbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.