YJ Hardtop and Soft Upper Doors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Hardtop and Soft Upper Doors?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
herb101
2005 LJ Wrangler 

YJ Hardtop and Soft Upper Doors?

I've got an '87 YJ that I bought with no top (and not much else). I've got a hardtop from an '88 YJ that I've put on it and I've got the factory half-doors. I live in Texas and have no AC - so I LOVE the half doors!

I absolutely hate upper door sliders and don't care much for full hard doors. I'd like to run the soft door uppers but I'm having trouble coming up with a solution to do that. I have a set of Bestot soft uppers, but the dimensions are 'off'. The shape is OK at the top corner, but the upper is about 1-1/2" too long. The rounded 'kickout' above the stricker is much less pronounced on the Bestop uppers than a factory hard door, but I'm less concerned about that. The rear upper corner fit good, but the windsheild angle seems to be off too (yes, I am sure they are for a YJ - not a TJ- they have a snap at the front flap). I'm looking for a solution that will be fairly weather-tight and affordable. The fiberglass slider uppers I've found are like 10% of the total build-up cost of my Jeep - no dice! (not to mention - I don't want those...)

Any ideas or has anyone else driven down this trail already?

Thanks,
Herb
(Wet in SA)

herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
dsearcy

with soft uppers there is a plastic piece that is bolted to the windshield frame. the soft top, when up, is attached to it. The plastic piece allows for there to be a nice seal. so you will probably need to make something for the door to make a seal with.
dsearcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
Bigbluejeep

If you can weld and feel like doing very little work. I found that TJ upper softdoors will fit perfectly on YJ half hard doors. THe only thing that is off is the Rods that stick in the door. They stick out a little too far. I was going to do this but then decided that maybe I just won't run doors anymore at all.
Welded Tow Hooks Front & Rear
Soft Top (hard top got lost in a rollover)
KC Daylighters
55 watt running lights mounted in Frame for Night Rockin
33/12.50/15 Buckshot Mudders
Rear Lock-rite (best mod ever!)
Detroit Front Locker
Flowmaster
2" BL
[SIZE=5][URL=http://www.bigbluejeep.com]www.BigBlueJeep.com[/URL][/SIZE]
Bigbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.