YJ Hardtop Rear Wiper Arm Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Hardtop Rear Wiper Arm Removal

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
southworth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Hardtop Rear Wiper Arm Removal

I purchased a hardtop two years ago and last year finally put in on my YJ. My initial plan was to acquire the wiring to utilize the the wiper and the defroster.

Well, I haven't been motivated to get all the wiring and now I want to remove the rear wiper arm because it is rusting and causing a streak on the glass. I haven't been able to figure out how to remove the arm (pretty much everything on the outside of the hardtop. I would like to keep the motor attached (it still works) so when I do get the wiring I can hook it all up.

Can anybody help me out with how to remove the arm? I'm assuming it's pretty easy but it would help me out a lot to see a few pictures of the removal process.

Thanks in advanced!

southworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
southworth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are two pics of what I'm working with.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-552147003.jpg   image-1093468077.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
wallydude
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I recently removed mine to replace with a new arm. To remove you must lift up on the little retaining clip under where the arm slips over the splined shaft and then pull it off. This sounds super easy but my guess is that is corroded and won't slide off (as mine was). I tried soaking it with PB Blaster for days and prying on it with no luck. Finally, I took a Dremel tool with a thin cut-off wheel and cut two slits in it where the arm sits on the shaft and used a screwdriver to break off the piece I cut. I was then able to slip it off. When you make the cuts go slow and watch for the color of the metal to change. You will clearly see when you cut into the corrosion between the pot metal (I think) arm and the steel wiper shaft so you will know when to stop cutting.
wallydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
southworth
1993 YJ Wrangler 

@wallydude thanks for the info. It's definitely not coming off easily. I am going to spray some pb blaster in there because I'm hoping to salvage the wiper arm when I get the wiring harness.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tags
rear wiper , wiper arm removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.