YJ Hardtop rear glass - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-29-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
NeverAgain-Two
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Hardtop rear glass

Pardon me if this is answered somewhere (and if it is, I have looked and cannot find it)--I have a 1990 YJ with what I believe is a factory top. The rear glass was broken out and I am looking to replace it and want to make sure of the fit before ordering. This top has the rear wiper arm/motor mounted in the top, above the glass.

The glass I am finding listed for this year has holes for the wiper/motor mounted on the glass. Is that still the correct glass that fits many models, including mine with the wiper/motor mounted in the top? Or do I have a mix and match top on my hands so that I need to be looking at a different year? I have seen comments that one needs to plug unused holes in the glass but nothing that tells me I am working with the correct glass in the first place.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-29-2016, 04:19 PM
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is there a fiberglass frame around the window for the lift gate on yours or is the window the full width of the opening?

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
post #3 of 14 Old 11-30-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
NeverAgain-Two
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The window is all glass except the bottom portion.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-30-2016, 08:49 PM
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's odd. I don't think I have ever seen the wiper in the top itself. I cant tell you for sure because my top is a wiper in the glass setup but the Quadratec.com has it listed from 90-95 for $134.
You might give them a call and see if the 90 glass is a different part number.

http://www.quadratec.com/search/hardtop%20window?f[0]=sm_field_category_multi%3Ataxonomy_term%3A440

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
post #5 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 06:06 AM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Pic of the top would help identify it.

I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do anything with nothing forever.

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
post #6 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If it turns out to be a CJ style top, I have a rear hatch that is rotted but the glass is still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

http://ecautosalvage.com/wp-content/...PARTS-0292.jpg This shows a 1990 YJ, note dos grid but no wiper
post #8 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

Found this on EBAY, 1988 with grid and wiper, note the full fiberglass frame on bottom http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BM8AAO...J6KP/s-l64.jpg
post #9 of 14 Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
NeverAgain-Two
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The top is stored in a barn about 80 miles from where I am located. I will take a picture next time I am there. The glass and top are like most other Wranglers with a full glass window contacting the top except the bottom with the latch has the fiberglass/plastic/metal piece on the bottom. The only difference is the wiper/motor in the top rather than in/on the glass.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-03-2016, 06:33 AM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverAgain-Two
The top is stored in a barn about 80 miles from where I am located. I will take a picture next time I am there. The glass and top are like most other Wranglers with a full glass window contacting the top except the bottom with the latch has the fiberglass/plastic/metal piece on the bottom. The only difference is the wiper/motor in the top rather than in/on the glass.
Not 100% sure but I've not seen a factory top with wiper not on the glass either. I've dealt with several, but offloaded everything until I found one without wiper. The rear wiper to me doesn't compute because I have mirrors. I include the YJ rear wiper in the same category as mud flaps and chrome grille and chrome headlight surrounds on a YJ. But I digress.
While you take photos you should write down part numbers from the wiper motor assembly. Then search yahoo or webcrawler or whatever and figure out what it is. I think it's an aftermarket top.
calpbs likes this.

shackles or D rings?
wrong words brake the web
cranking IS turning over
post #11 of 14 Old 12-04-2016, 11:11 AM
calpbs
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I believe tops that have the wiper motor in the top and not the window are most likely and aftermarket offering and the rear window may and most likely is different and not interchangeable.

I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do anything with nothing forever.

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
post #12 of 14 Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
NeverAgain-Two
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I FINALLY was able to get back to the barn and look at the top. The wiper motor is in the top, passenger side, above the rear window. The parts numbers on the motor have three lines: line one is 56003066; line two is 095 90 A; and line three is 22084034.

My google search shows this is a jeep wiper motor part number. As we all know, that is only part of the riddle whether this top is OEM or aftermarket. Does this information help anyone with an answer to the question which glass part number i need? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep rear wiper motor.jpg  
post #13 of 14 Old 05-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

Do you have additional pictures, the exterior sides and rear etc.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
NeverAgain-Two
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myjeep1986
Do you have additional pictures, the exterior sides and rear etc.
I do not. I will be at my top storage location this weekend and will take more pictures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.