Yj half steel door vs full steel doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj half steel door vs full steel doors

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 01-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
JROLIVER
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yj half steel door vs full steel doors

My 1989 yj is a soft top with half steel doors. I bought a pair of full (1993) steel doors from a local salvage yard with anticipation of a hard top in the future. However, the full doors do not line up with the striker at its current location, aprox 3" higher than the latch on the doors. Do i have the wrong doors, or do i need additional parts to re-locate the striker on the body?

JROLIVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have both and there's a bit of adjusting going on in the hinges and the striker. If you put a little work into it you can make both work.
Unread 01-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
JROLIVER
1989 YJ Wrangler 

32 years in collision repair. No amount of adjusting will move the striker that far. I guess my question really is what year models are interchangeable. My understanding was 1987-95 yj were the same, correct?
JROLIVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
NW4wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I thought all yj doors were interchangeable. Maybe a picture will help.
NW4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
NW4wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if he got tj doors.
NW4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Biohazard294
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe you have some reason for wanting a hard top and full doors, if you wanted to lock your jeep to make it more secure maybe. For me though I have a soft top and half doors year round up in michigan, everyone seems to complain about the soft top Being too loud but it's worth it come summer time when I can take off the soft top and use the top of the half door as an armrest. I guess that what I'm really getting at is that you might just want to pick one setup to go with and then stay with it, at least that's what I do.
Biohazard294 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have full steel doors, but Ive looked into buying half doors since I prefer the look of them over the full doors
Everything Ive looked into has said that all YJ doors are interchangeable, maybe loosen the hinge bolts on the doors, get them to close and then tighten them down?
Ive heard of doors shifting for whatever reason.. Never done it but its worth looking into..

Goodluck, and if you dont want to keep the half steel doors, shoot me a pm!
cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #8
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had to make the (free) half doors work. It took a set of new hinges to get the adjustment just right. It takes time but they'll fit.

"Whiskey is for drinking, Water is for fighting over" - Mark Twain
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:09 AM   #9
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If they are 3" off..... something's not right. That doesn't make sense at all. And yes 87-95 should be the same enough to only need adjusting. 3" is not an adjustment IMHO. Unless you are exaggerating for theatrical effect.
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #10
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

CJ7 doors should even fit without issue, I have CJ7 doors on my YJ.

Loosen the 6 bolts and lift the door up until it latches, I don't think it will move 3" worth though.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You gotta have the wrong doors... As mentioned, late CJ doors even fit all the YJ line.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4wheeler View Post
I wonder if he got tj doors.
TJs used a loop instead of the striker pins that the YJs and CJs had. So the pin wouldn't even fit into the slot on the TJ door.

Who knows what's going on...

YJ:

TJ:

There's a ton of info out there to switch them over to either one. So if the OP has this issue, search how to switch door striker pins.
Unread 01-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is definitely one of those times that a picture would really help.
jred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.