yj gets some coilovers - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj gets some coilovers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #121
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Figured its time for an update I've been busy all summer chasing down problems and found a little time to wheel. I had a fuel pump take a dump on me, broke the frame in a couple spots and managed to wear out the drive teeth of a Detroit in the 8.8.

So now with a fresh pump, locker and starting to plate the frame the jeep its back in action. I went to the local tough truck challenge this year and came home with a 1st in class finish and 3rd overall.

Street racer mode trying to figure out what was up with my Detroit after Eaton's tech support was completely useless.
[/IMG]

All cleaned up after 6 hours of power washing and a new to me black top.
[/IMG]

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #122
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I put together a gopro video of the race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwZ1...ature=youtu.be
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #123
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Finally got some pictures from the comp.

Unread 11-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #124
6spdYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet rig! I have been working toward doing a 3-link with coilovers on my YJ with a 3" front stretch and have a few questions.
1. What leaf spring lift were you running before the front link/coilover /stretch?
2. What is the top mount centerline height above the top of the frame?
3. How far away from the outer edge of the frame is the top mount centerline?
I have 12" Radflo 2" emulsions with 14-250 mains and 10-100 tenders. I plan to replace the tenders with 12-110's. I am very interested in the dimensions of your front hoops. The front axle is a stock YJ D30 with TJ shafts and 760 joints. My top link is using Teraflex large joints and 1.75" DOM. For lowers I will be using JK lowers. Mounted straight off the back of the tube, the front lowers will get me the 3" stretch. If it doesn't work out with those, the rear JK lowers in the same location will put the axle exactly where it sits now. Looking forward to your reply.
6spdYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #125
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet rig! I have been working toward doing a 3-link with coilovers on my YJ with a 3" front stretch and have a few questions.
1. What leaf spring lift were you running before the front link/coilover /stretch?
2. What is the top mount centerline height above the top of the frame?
3. How far away from the outer edge of the frame is the top mount centerline?
I have 12" Radflo 2" emulsions with 14-250 mains and 10-100 tenders. I plan to replace the tenders with 12-110's. I am very interested in the dimensions of your front hoops. The front axle is a stock YJ D30 with TJ shafts and 760 joints. My top link is using Teraflex large joints and 1.75" DOM. For lowers I will be using JK lowers. Mounted straight off the back of the tube, the front lowers will get me the 3" stretch. If it doesn't work out with those, the rear JK lowers in the same location will put the axle exactly where it sits now. Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks!!

1. Before the links I was running soa on stock leaves rear and 4.5"RE springs w/MORE SRS up front.
2. Its about 1.25" above and the mounts are right in front of the skid where the frame starts bending up.
3. The joint is basically but up against the frame since the bolt hole is raised above the frame.

For the springs rates I'm currently 200/200 with tenders opening 1" at droop and planning on going 150/200 to drop the rate and get rid of the tenders. For your setup swapping to a 110# spring instead of the #100 will actually raise your rate and make you need the tenders even more. You need to lower the overall rate to get rid of the tenders. How's the transition from 76# combined to 250# when you hit the dual rate? I figured it may be a bit abrupt. So I'd run a softer lower spring and use the dual rate stop to set the felt stiffness. Either way I'd use what you got on had to see what actual weight it has on it and go from there.

My front shocks are mounted off the inner C and the towers are 18" tall mounted to basically the bottom of the frame.

I'm unfamiliar with JK anything but make sure any tabs you use are 2 5/8" wide so down the road you can run standard joints or 1.25"heims in DOM lowers. Also watch the tire clearance if your running the lowers straight under the frame. That was a main reason for my goofy trick lower link mount on the driver side.
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #126
6spdYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply,
I really don't want to hijack your thread, but would really like to pick your brain on this. Mind if I PM?
FWIW JK front lowers are curved to compensate for turning.
6spdYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #127
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sure PM me or a slight hijack I don't mind either way
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #128
breakoff
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Your setup looks awesome, I plan to use this for my front suspension build, you have talked me into coilovers. Thanks for all the information!
breakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #129
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been gathering some parts and its almost time for a 2.0 build. Maybe I'll start a new thread in the builds section but here's the list of things.

-more cage tie ins and plating parts of the frame
-new belly pan out of tube plated with UHMW backed AL
-air bumps rear for now
-tube fenders
-AL corners
-wire my winch
-new clutch, rear main seal and any other broken junk I find underneath
-possibly a rear swaybar if it gets hairy once I finally tune my shocks
Unread 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #130
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got some free time today and started installing a pair of tube fenders to replace my dented/cracked stockers. I went with smittybilt's no flares cause they're cheap and I'm not fond of steel flares. The plan is to section a tj flare and attach it the the tube fender for a unassuming swap. Here's the only picture I got today before it got dark.
Unread 11-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #131
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice!! Your jeep is one of my inspirations! Fully capable on 35s

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #132
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice!! Your jeep is one of my inspirations! Fully capable on 35s
Thanks

I got the tube fenders on and all buttoned up this weekend. The first side took awhile being too careful. By the time I did the other side I was a pro and just hacked off what I needed to. I aslo welded on a grill hoop that had been hanging in my garage for awhile. We're debating if the fenders should be tied to the hoop or run a tub alongside the fenders to sliders. We'll see for now Im happy with my tree resistant frontend.

Also took it out for some sunday funday and with the recent rain/leaves everything was a challenge requiring rev limiter attempts. On one climb I got sideways and jammed into a tree forcing me to break out the new winch. It dragged the jeep without a whimper so I could back down the hill.

Unread 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #133
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. I think think it's time for me to take a wheeling trip soon.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #134
ownTer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Impressive sir! Looks like you are having a great time working and wheeling it.
ownTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #135
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its going to be a long weekend! We're going to open a can of worms and replace the clutch yet again at a buddies garage. I'll probably end up replacing the rear main seal at the same time. This is going to require a lot of

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.