YJ Gearbox or Durango Gearbox for DIY Hydro Assist? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Gearbox or Durango Gearbox for DIY Hydro Assist?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 07-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Gearbox or Durango Gearbox for DIY Hydro Assist?

Currently I have a Durango gearbox on my YJ and It's been installed for a few years. I pulled it from a Durango out of the junkyard and at the time wasn't leaking. Now it's leaking like no other and the gears are bad in it so the box needs to be replaced or rebuilt. There is a local company here in Phoenix that does a great job of rebuilding gearboxes and they will also tap the box for hydro assist for a very minimal fee.

As you know you lose turning radius with the Durango gearbox but the strength is the added bonus. Since i'm moving to hydro ram assist, which gearbox should I go with? Currently they have a TJ gearbox on the shelf ready to go and it's already tapped for hydro assist. I could buy that or have them rebuild my Durango box for the exact same price. Keep in mind i'm switching to hydro assist where the gearbox is more of a pass through vs being the main source of turning power. Do I get rid of the Durango box and switch to the TJ box and gain that turning radius back or are there any advantages to staying with the Durango box vs TJ box when it comes to Hydro Assist. I would like to have the turning radius back that i'm missing out on from the stock YJ box, but if the Durango has advantages I would like to know about those as well.

Lastly Benchworks told me that the Durango has a 3.25" piston vs the TJ having a 2.75" piston. They said with the larger piston it will provide more hydraulic push. Thoughts on that? Is this true or does the additional pressure come from the power steering pump?

I can't seem to find any good info on durango vs stock box when it comes to hydro assist only.

Thanks for the replies! Hopefully someone is using the durango box with hydro assist on their YJ or has actually used both before to know the difference.

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is a Durango box with the same radius as the Yj. For the subject of hydro assist, the stock Yj saginaw box is more than adequate. Why not rebuild it yourself?

Lot of info here:
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...-Assist/page2&
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
There is a Durango box with the same radius as the Yj. For the subject of hydro assist, the stock Yj saginaw box is more than adequate. Why not rebuild it yourself?

Lot of info here:
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...-Assist/page2&

We have a trusty company here locally that does excellent work. I would rather them just rebuild it and tap it since i'm limited on tools.
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
There is a local company here in Phoenix that does a great job of rebuilding gearboxes .
Who's the local company? I have a Durango box I'd lile to get rebuilt prior to putting it into my yj.

thanks,

cb
az_zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_zoner View Post

Who's the local company? I have a Durango box I'd lile to get rebuilt prior to putting it into my yj.

thanks,

cb
Its called Benchworks in Scottsdale. Givem a call.
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I'll check them out.

cb
az_zoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.