YJ gauges not working after removal of aftermarket alarm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ gauges not working after removal of aftermarket alarm

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ gauges not working after removal of aftermarket alarm

I'm buying a YJ tomorrow and the gauges don't work, soon to be PO says there was an aftermarket alarm that was removed and the gauges didn't work afterward.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I haven't a clue yet as to what could have shorted out.

Unread 02-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the alarm system prolly wasnt connected in anyway to the gauge cluster... but, if the wiring was removed anything could have happened... if something got shorted then it may have affected almost anything.

there is a flexible circuit board behind the dash cluster... that would be the first thing I would look at.

when something happens, it is very apparent.

if 'nothing' happened, then it could be a loose gound, or a loose connector.

removing and looking at the dash cluster is very easy.. a handful of small screws and the cluster is popped out and supported by a larger wire connector which can be disconnected easily, i.e. no catches or clips that break.

there are numbers and indicators showing how / which direction to reconnect the plug/connector.

you can give everything a good cleaning, and lube with some dielectric grease.. or if there is some corrosion on the contacts, you can clean the surface of the connections with some scotch brite pad or steel wool... (but clean up the steel bits ' when you are done...

lots of pics of the circuit board...easy to test the connections with a multi meter...

good luck
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it's been a while since I've torn into the dash of a YJ. Getting the dash lights to work on my 92 was easy, but this 91 I'm looking at... now I have a direction to go in. Thank you!
fb_img_1422978912251.jpg  
Unread 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
I'm buying a YJ tomorrow and the gauges don't work, soon to be PO says there was an aftermarket alarm that was removed and the gauges didn't work afterward.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I haven't a clue yet as to what could have shorted out.
If they are not working at all - i.e. no movement on the gauges, chances are the alarm equipment was tied into the powered fuse that runs the gauges. My bet is that when they removed the alarm equipment, they cut the power wire for the alarm and simply stuffed it up under the dash exposed. This wire, in turn, was loose and contacted some metal, shorting out killing the fuse that is in the fuse box for the gauge cluster. Look for a red wire hanging from your fuse box - it may be simply pushed into an existing fuse. If the fuse is blown, you won't get power to the cluster.

EDIT: I also just noticed that this YJ has had a V8 swap? If so, were the gauges ever hooked up correctly when that was done?

YJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
If they are not working at all - i.e. no movement on the gauges, chances are the alarm equipment was tied into the powered fuse that runs the gauges. My bet is that when they removed the alarm equipment, they cut the power wire for the alarm and simply stuffed it up under the dash exposed. This wire, in turn, was loose and contacted some metal, shorting out killing the fuse that is in the fuse box for the gauge cluster. Look for a red wire hanging from your fuse box - it may be simply pushed into an existing fuse. If the fuse is blown, you won't get power to the cluster.

EDIT: I also just noticed that this YJ has had a V8 swap? If so, were the gauges ever hooked up correctly when that was done?
Right on! I'll definitely check that out!

The V8 YJ is mine, 1992. The one I'm heading down to look at today is a 91 with a 4.0. This new one is also gonna get a 5.2 or 5.9, factory gauges work with the Magnum swap.
Unread 02-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right on! I'll definitely check that out!

The V8 YJ is mine, 1992. The one I'm heading down to look at today is a 91 with a 4.0. This new one is also gonna get a 5.2 or 5.9, factory gauges work with the Magnum swap.
If you sre going to remove the 91 gauges (with the center clock) I'd be interested in purchasing that when you are discarding.

YJ FOR SALE
Unread 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
If you sre going to remove the 91 gauges (with the center clock) I'd be interested in purchasing that when you are discarding.
I'm gonna swap the gauges for the 92+ gauges. I don't know what's different about the wiring and what not, but if it's a simple swap, I'm gonna do it soon. Since you're down in Corona it'll be easy, I'm still in Phelan just up the Cajon Pass. I haven't completely moved back to Phoenix yet.

EDIT: Ok so after looking it up, apparently it's a slight pain in the *** since 91 still had the cable speedo. That and 91 still has the same cluster and wiring as the 87-90 models.
Unread 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm gonna swap the gauges for the 92+ gauges. I don't know what's different about the wiring and what not, but if it's a simple swap, I'm gonna do it soon. Since you're down in Corona it'll be easy, I'm still in Phelan just up the Cajon Pass. I haven't completely moved back to Phoenix yet.

EDIT: Ok so after looking it up, apparently it's a slight pain in the *** since 91 still had the cable speedo. That and 91 still has the same cluster and wiring as the 87-90 models.
Thus why I'm hoarding the 91 clusters. Ours works, but spares for a 91 - with the clock (call me silly but I like the clock) are hard to find in working order.

YJ FOR SALE
Unread 02-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i seriously doubt that a functional alarm system would be tied to the instrument panel, as that is a switched circuit/fuse.

only the clock has a constant / unswitched fuse...and the fuse block has a stab terminal next to the clock fuse to place another hot wire that wouldnt be switched...
but that doesnt mean that an installer would know, unless he looks it up and wonders why there is a terminal marked clck there..?!?
Unread 02-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #10
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I picked up the YJ. From what I'm seeing, the gauges do work. But the speedo doesn't work, and I'm suspecting the fuel gauge. PO said it doesn't work. It reads as completely topped off, which I did before driving home. I went from Moorpark to Maywood, and then home to Phelan, CA. The needle didn't move at all, I'm wondering if it just reads 1/4 more than what's actually there like some YJs, or if it really is broken.

I guess I'll find out in a few days. Other than that, I ended up popping the turn signal fuse trying to get the hazards to turn off... so there's that.
Unread 02-04-2015, 02:51 AM   #11
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

there is a known problem with fuel gauges acting 'sticky'...or moving in a non linear motion... basically it has to do with some type of plastic catch basin in the gas tank.. I think it is supposed to hold fuel or keep it from 'sloshing around'. or something.. not sure of the original intent.. but it gets 'warped' over time and when it warps, sometimes it is so bad that the fuel gauge float sensor gets hung up on the edge of that internal basin thingy.

anyways, I'm not sure that is or isnt your problem... so, good luck
Unread 02-04-2015, 03:08 AM   #12
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah my 92 isn't very accurate with the fuel gauge either. At least now I know the reason why. I haven't been active in YJ Tech in quite a while, just when I thought I had learned pretty much everything there is to learn about YJs... this ****in thing comes along.
Unread 02-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The real question is, did your other jeep ever get finished?
Unread 02-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #14
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
The real question is, did your other jeep ever get finished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Jeeps are never finished.

YJ FOR SALE
Unread 02-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca
Touché. But the last time I heard, it wasn't drive-able.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.