Yj gauges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj gauges

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
Gsaadd

Yj gauges

Hello, i am new to this forum. I am trying to find out if it is possible to adapt a gauge cluster (fuel, oil, temp and voltage) of a 92-95 yj to a 88 yj model. I bought it by mistake and habent been able to find one that fits. The original gauge cluster broke from the screw points so it needs to be replced.

Thanks for any help!

Gsaadd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The speedo is different and the wiring would need to be modified more then its worth. What is wrong with your gauges that you have right now?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I see 2 major problems here. First. The 1992 has a 4wd drive indicator light in that dash cluster, and your 88 does not. Your 88 has a clock and your YJ does not. You could wire it up to work without the 4wd light functioning since you have one located elsewhere in the dash, but you will need the right connection to make it work as I am pretty sure the 92 gauges will not plug in to the 88 wiring harness.
Unread 03-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The speedo is different and the wiring would need to be modified more then its worth. What is wrong with your gauges that you have right now?
He's not talking about the speedo, just the gauge cluster towards the passenger side with fuel, voltage, clock, and temp.
Unread 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. Then it will work. You need the connector but the gauges will work.
Unread 03-31-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How does the flexible wiring strip work with the different year gauge cluster? As stated above, no 4wd indicator in '88 and no clock in '92-94. Or is that the connector you were talking about?
paulsadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 05:26 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The connector and just rewire to the new connector. The gauge sensors are the same so it is just a matter of it being wired in correctly.
Unread 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

there are different gauges, i.e. they need different sensors or compatible sensors....a sensor will create resistance, if the gauge is measuring a different 'scale' of resistance, then the gauge will be 'off'. i.e. it will read/report different values..

there is info on what sensors values we have in jeeps, but, Im not sure where it is.. maybe in the manual? of from the sensor mfg/supplier?

good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.