yj gauge swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj gauge swap.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

yj gauge swap.

i am looking for some input from any of you that have done an autometer dash.

i like their quad/dual combo in designer black.
i know these are the 5" gauges but they do make similar in the 3-3/8" variety.

however i found these while snooping around summits website as well...

the vintage NVU gauges would be a grand slam except they are 4-3/4".

mainly my question is for those that would have the autometer bezel for behind the steering wheel. how hard would it be to enlarge the openings for the gauges to 4-3/4"? i'm sure i could make the stock bezel work with some sheet metal, bondo, and some black monsta to cover it all up. my thought is that the autometer bezel will look cleaner in the end and be easier to alter than the stock one.

however for the theme, as well as the overall ergonomics of looking at the gauges, i think the NVU green gauges will be a better choice and i will be happier with them in the end.

thoughts or info from any with experience would be greatly appreciated.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those are sweet guages!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
flippinjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I want those
flippinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i always wanted to but when it came time it didn't seem worth it. the 4.2L revs to 3000ish. I'd lose the clock that still works...
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're asking all these 'Is this pretty?' questions, which are 100% subjective (we don't have to like what you pick). Are you ok with how to make these gauges work in a YJ?
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
the vintage NVU gauges would be a grand slam except they are 4-3/4".

mainly my question is for those that would have the autometer bezel for behind the steering wheel. how hard would it be to enlarge the openings for the gauges to 4-3/4"? i'm sure i could make the stock bezel work with some sheet metal, bondo, and some black monsta to cover it all up. my thought is that the autometer bezel will look cleaner in the end and be easier to alter than the stock one.

however for the theme, as well as the overall ergonomics of looking at the gauges, i think the NVU green gauges will be a better choice and i will be happier with them in the end.

thoughts or info from any with experience would be greatly appreciated.
well i suppose i masked the question... i need to hear from anyone that has an autometer bezel for the speedo and tach.

i need dimensions and feasibility of fitting the NVU gauges into the autometer bezel.
if it's much easier than using the stock bezel then i will get the autometer bezel, if not... i'll bastardize the stock one.

also, summit's website has them listed as 4-3/4" and the NVU website has them listed as 4-3/8". i'm more inclined to believe the manufacturers site over a vendors, even if it is summit racing.

so i would need to enlarge the bezel by 1" total if i use the autometer bezel.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Love the look of these. On the second pic the RPM is x100 which is a first one for me .. kind of interesting
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldude View Post
Love the look of these. On the second pic the RPM is x100 which is a first one for me .. kind of interesting
old school
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have all autometer gauges and one regret I have is not getting the marine grade gauges. They tend to fog up from time to time. Just an FYI
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go CJ-style dash and these.

That way you have all that /other/ space for radio, tuner, etc.
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Go CJ-style dash and these.

That way you have all that /other/ space for radio, tuner, etc.
Actually, you don't have all that space very much. The YJ defroster system is very close to the dash for much of the upper section of a flat dash panel. There would be no room for anything deep like CB or audio head unit.

In these photos of my dash, their is plenty of room CJ style with two large and 4 small and still have a full width bottom for a couple radio holes, and still have the heater panel. I just decided to arrange things spaced out more. I'm not saying do what I did, just that there is room for 2Lg+4Sm gauges and a couple radios.

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya- your dash looks great! I read your posts on that a few times as I was doing 'research' LOL

and thanks for the space input. I hadn't got to the point of figuring that out for mine yet.

My problem on space is that I am 50/50 undecided on whether or not to retain AC. I don't think I will want it often but there are five or six times every summer I have some extended trips and this year it will be in the jeep! Day-long drives with everything open leave me noise-fatigued and everything has this coating of ultra-fine dust

While I think your dash looks great I have a vision for mine. Knowing myself I expect that I will put an outrageous and inexcusable amount of effort into sticking the radios and such in/near the center- even if I have to fab up my own defrost ducts. So those two items I am probably being stupid on. Yes. Stupid? Probably! LOL But those two areas I have been stupid on when I was doing Beetles, and in my Datsun 4x4. And in my boat. So why change for the jeep??!
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I understand. I didn't mean for you to do what I did, and I didn't need to add the last two photos really (just proud of my dash...lol). I mainly wanted to let you know by the first photo what was under there after the dash is off.

For haha's. I had taken my YJ dash out and started working with Dan Dilner at DDfab on the new one. I didn't want to rush our design or his build, and I didn't want the YJ out of service, so I 'fabbed' this for a month. It worked!

Good luck with your project...

Unread 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

meanwhile... back at the ranch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
I have all autometer gauges and one regret I have is not getting the marine grade gauges. They tend to fog up from time to time. Just an FYI
do you have the autometer bezel for behind your steering wheel with autometer gauges in it??

Unread 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
meanwhile... back at the ranch.

do you have the autometer bezel for behind your steering wheel with autometer gauges in it??
Yes, and I have the gauge pod for fuel volts etc.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.