YJ Fuel Pump Noisy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Fuel Pump Noisy

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
sjordan1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Fuel Pump Noisy

Hello fellow Jeepers, I have a 1990 YJ, 2.5, 5-speed. When i turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump turn on and prime up. After that, I can still hear it running and its kinda loud and aggravating. Is this something that i need to address or do i need to just get used to it?

sjordan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
mizzle00
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordan1 View Post
Hello fellow Jeepers, I have a 1990 YJ, 2.5, 5-speed. When i turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump turn on and prime up. After that, I can still hear it running and its kinda loud and aggravating. Is this something that i need to address or do i need to just get used to it?
I have a 2.5l. After the prime, I cannot hear mine.

There are only two wires in the connector going into the fuel tank. I presume one is for the gauge, and the other is for the pump.

Sounds like some kind of ignition/computer problem. I've read of fuel pumps delaying the prime for a few seconds due to computer problem. If this logic holds true, then it's the computer that is responsible for sending the voltage to the pump to turn it on. As such, my guess would be that it's not turning that voltage off after the pump is primed.

I'm sure someone here can chime in with actual experience. If it were me, I'd look into fixing it.
mizzle00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
bruinjeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on fixing it.

It's not normal. IMHO, anything thats not normal (which has to deal with actual function of the vehicle itself) should be delved into. They tend to manifest into bigger issues.

Yes, its the common man's advice. Common men, usually have common sense. Look into it deeper - that voltage should cut off after about 3 seconds.

You say its really loud and aggravating - anyway of taking a video/sound recording? How LOUD is LOUD? Never have heard or come across this issue, and it would be a big help to many of us who haven't had the issue you're experiencing. It would also help the local guru, Que.
Unread 12-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
tlctyz14
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My loud humming was because the "new fuel pump" I had installed was faulty. Was covered under warranty and had it replaced. Sound went away.
tlctyz14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.