Yj fuel problem help!!! :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj fuel problem help!!! :(

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
88jeepYJnoob
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yj fuel problem help!!! :(

so the other day i was going to work, did a lap around my jeep and saw a puddle behind the gas tank (thought to myself ah **** whats leaking now, or did someone siphon my fuel)

gas was the same as the night before started up fine... get on the highway, sputters and dies. wont start. check the fuel going in (after fuel filter) it looked almost orange. let it sit and it was almost half gas half god knows what. so my thought was to siphon the almost full tank out, let it run dry once or twice and see how it was. and voila it worked (so i thought)

next day same thing happened. messed around with the idle the air/fuel mixture... nothing. check the fuel again and its still orange!!

this thing will not hold an idle it its life depended on it. idle screw is maxed out. but it just backfires/misfires like no tomorrow

INFO ON THE JEEP: 88 YJ amc 258 4.2 manual transmission. i have done the nutter bypass and replaced the POS carter with a weber 32/36 electric choke

GUYS IF YOU COULD HELP IT WOULD BE GREAT IM A STUDENT WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY AND MECHANICS IN MY AREA WONT WORK ON IT

88jeepYJnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The fact that the gas is almost orange indicates to me that the gas is either passing through or sitting in a lot of rust. Did you try changing the fuel filter, it may be clogged up with junk and rust? Short of that you may want to drop the tank and take a look at the sending unit and fuel pump. If they are the originals then my guess is that they are in bad shape, ie rusty and ready to fail, but the rust is contaminating your gas.

The good news is that a fuel filter is cheap and diagnosing this problem will be cheap, if its a fuel pump and sending unit you can find them on ebay for about $100.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
88jeepYJnoob
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i did change the fuel filter. im going to drop my tank today to see how that looks thanks for that input. ill keep this updated with what happens. also do you think i may need a carb rebuild by the end of all this?
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

why can't I find one in an autoparts store.. I've called napa and oriley ... I even chacked for the sending unit on Rock Auto.. not available..

1988 4.2 wrangler what gives ?!?!
DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaltman3 View Post
why can't i find one in an autoparts store.. I've called napa and oriley ... I even chacked for the sending unit on rock auto.. Not available..

1988 4.2 wrangler what gives ?!?!
nm
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump on a 4.2 will be on the right side of the block, unless somebody blocked it off and installed an electric pump, but that shouldnt be the case if you don't have an aftermarket FI setup.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
The fuel pump on a 4.2 will be on the right side of the block, unless somebody blocked it off and installed an electric pump, but that shouldnt be the case if you don't have an aftermarket FI setup.
Darn late 80's models not being like the rest of the YJs. So in order to check out the pump he doesn't need to drop the tank?
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
88jeepYJnoob
1988 YJ Wrangler 

well the mechanical fuel pump is on the side but the sender is in the tank right? just about to take er off now.
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Correct, the sender is in the tank. You can always pop the fuel line loose before the filter and hold it over a cup while someone cranks the engine to see what kind of flow you are getting.

Also make sure that the return line on the fuel filter is higher than the supply.

Just re-read your first post, its been a long day. Do you have a metal tank or is it poly?

August YJOTM

Unread 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You may have plugged the venturis as well. They are pretty easy to get to from the top of the carb, just pull them out and cleab them, they will be very small holes.

When I first got my YJ I changed the fuel filter as a precaution and let some crap through in doing so. After reading some threads on the forum I cleaned out the venturies and she ran much better

August YJOTM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.