YJ fuel line leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ fuel line leak

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
YJyoungster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ fuel line leak

Hey guys I have a 94 YJ 2.5, It has a small leak in the fuel line near the gas tank.
I can't really see because the skid plate is in the way. I plan on taking the skid plate off asap. Is the fuel pump beside the gas tank, sort of on top of it?
I'm not 100% sure if it's the line from the tank to the pump or the line from the pump to the engine, It runs fine and only leaks when running, it's a steady drip.

Any ideas of what I'll need to replace this. Will some duct tape do? If it's the presurrized line after the pump then it probably wouldn't.
Does anyone have any ideas what might need replacing?

YJyoungster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

First off NEVER duct tape fuel lines to fix it. If it's a hose go and get a new piece and replace it. Your fuel pump is Inside the tank so you will have to drop the tank to get to it. When you take the 7 bolts for the skid plate out the entire tank will come out too so be sure to have less than 1/2 tank of fuel and support it with a jack. You will need to have it up on ramps to get the height you need to get it out. Be sure to take the filler and vent hose off the tank or you wont get it down too far. It could be just a loose hose clamp.

Edmonton??? are you on the EJC site as well? I'm going to try to get to the Safari Off Road Park in Jan with the club. Hope to see you out there.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
madmax79
I'm Old Gregg!

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This happened to a buddy of mine's 4.0L. The fuel pump was in the tank (I'm pretty sure yours is too). We had to drop the tank, but all it was a short piece of hose that was cracked. A buck or two worth of hose and a couple of hose clamps was all it took. It was alot of work for a cheap fix as we had to drop the tank, but not a big deal.

Early YJ Club, Member #1, Check out our group: Early YJ Club

Quote:
Epic adventures usually start with something like: "I was looking at a topo map..."
www.matanzasjeepclub.com
madmax79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
YJyoungster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, and SnowdogMarc I just bought my jeep yesterday for 1900$ it needs a windshield fuel line repair and a mechanism for the passenger door, as it won't open from the inside. I'm not on EJC site yet, since I just recently bought the jeep, I do however have big plans for it.
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just to add my , make sure you use high pressure fuel line and I would also recommend to replace any and all fuel lines visible since your fuel tank will already be down.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you got a good deal, post up some pics here or sign up to the EJC site. Use Photobucket on here or I think you can upload right from your computer on EJC. I just got mine a few months ago and already have a few things in the works for it. A couple of members near you are weldors/fabricators and can hook you up with bumpers/ sliders whatever. I'm on that site under the same name and the Fab guys are Towhook and Brink. Weldor is also one but he is like 3 hours away from you in my neighborhood. Hope to see you on that site soon.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 12-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
YJyoungster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll register asap, and I'll get pictures up within the next few days. Btw it sure has been cold the last few days. D:
Unread 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJyoungster View Post
I'll register asap, and I'll get pictures up within the next few days. Btw it sure has been cold the last few days. D:
Tell me about it, even my dogs stay in the houses and their Huskies. I was up at the mines in Grande Cache on Friday. They lost power to the comunications tower and I got to go fix it...-40 without the wind chill. It's supposed to warm up by the end of the week, somewhere around -8 I think...Heat wave .
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
YJyoungster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
Tell me about it, even my dogs stay in the houses and their Huskies. I was up at the mines in Grande Cache on Friday. They lost power to the comunications tower and I got to go fix it...-40 without the wind chill. It's supposed to warm up by the end of the week, somewhere around -8 I think...Heat wave .
It's going to warm up! Thank goodness, also i signed up and made a post in the introduce yourself section of EJC.
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Double check. Just forward of the fuel tank, the line makes several sharp bends and also changes from rubber to metal line. 9 times out of 10, the leak is at this point. It's a much easier fix. you just undo the line, cut off the bad part by the end and re-attach. If severely worn, cut off bad section (up to about 6") and use a male-male fitting and splice in some new high pressure line. (About 10 bucks from AutoZone).
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 95 has leaked twice, today....at -9 F and last winter at similar temps. But it stopped after the jeep warmed up. I noticed the drip this morning, it was along side the drivers side of the fuel tank. I'm thinking there was some shrinkage going on where the rubber hoses meets a metal hose. It never leaks when it's above zero.

Maybe yours is cold weather induced too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.

Last edited by Jeffro06; 12-21-2008 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: added the F...lol
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
My 95 has leaked twice, today....at -9 and last winter at similar temps. But it stopped after the jeep warmed up. I noticed the drip this morning, it was along side the drivers side of the fuel tank. I'm thinking there was some shrinkage going on where the rubber hoses meets a metal hose. It never leaks when it's above zero.

Maybe yours is cold weather induced too.
I'm assuming that your talking F and not C here. We have not had temps above 0 F for like 2-3 weeks. Much too long to have a fuel leak IMO.

BTW me and the OP are like 3 hours away from each other.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 12-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
I'm assuming that your talking F and not C here. We have not had temps above 0 F for like 2-3 weeks. Much too long to have a fuel leak IMO.

BTW me and the OP are like 3 hours away from each other.
Yep I meant -9 F.....I did the edit.

I'll be interested in seeing if I have that leak next time I start it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
YJyoungster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
Double check. Just forward of the fuel tank, the line makes several sharp bends and also changes from rubber to metal line. 9 times out of 10, the leak is at this point. It's a much easier fix. you just undo the line, cut off the bad part by the end and re-attach. If severely worn, cut off bad section (up to about 6") and use a male-male fitting and splice in some new high pressure line. (About 10 bucks from AutoZone).
I did notice there are a bunch hoses with sharp bends, I'm going to try to pinpoint the exact hose without removing the gas tank, even though I'll probably have to anyways.
Unread 12-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My '94 has leaked twice too. Shortly after I got it. One was from the rubber fuel line transitioning from the hard line to the fuel filter and the second was on top of the tank where the rubber line connects to the sending unit. The rubber gets old and brittle and often will first leak at the point the hose clamp sits. x2 on replacing all of your rubber lines on top of the tank while you have it down. Might want to check your sending unit/pump while it is down too. PITA to get the tank mounted back up by yourself. Have to align 7 bolts/holes at the same time while balancing the tank on your jack.....Go ahead and get into it though.....GO AHEAD AND DO THE 15 TO 20 GALLON CONVERSION WHILE IT'S DOWN TOO. THAT WILL TAKE YOU AN EXTRA 2 MINUTES TO DO AND WILL ALLOW YOU AN EXTRA 5 GALLONS OF FUEL IN THE TANK. If you aren't familiar with that one...check this out. Very easy to do and worth it.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.