YJ Fuel Gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Fuel Gauge

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Josh71NC
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Fuel Gauge

Like most of you fellow YJ owners, my fuel gauge is spotty at best. When I fill the jeep up it has no problem reading a full tank, the gauge reads great until I get around a quarter of a tank. Once at a quarter of a tank, it randomly goes between three quarters and a half tank reading until I get pissed off and fill it up again. Its not a huge deal as I've dealing with it for a while now and I'm used to putting gas in nearly everyday. But as soon as I let my wife drive it alone, low and behold she calls me on the side of the road saying that my jeep is broke down... Empty tank... women never learn...

Anyway, what's the best way to diagnose this problem without yanking the whole *** end out of my jeep?

Many Thanks

Unread 07-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
88YJGuy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe pull the gauge cluster out and clean the connections good, might help.
I did this to mine last weekend. Took the nut off and pulled the connection plug and sprayed some contact cleaner in the gauge holes. The copper traces on the mylar wiring conduit were a little oxidized too.

Gauge still bounces around a little, but I ran it down until it was bouncing around indicating (on average between minor swings) a 1/4 tank left- went to get gas and it took 12 gallons to fill it- so it seemed to be working in a general sense.

Maybe a better cleaning would've helped, as I was more concentrated on fixing the temp gauge, and just getting the gas gauge to read anything at all-it was stuck reading "E" all the time.
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going to clean the card in the back of the cluster its best to take it completely off of the cluster and carefully straighten it out and clean it with alcohol and a q-tip and a pencil eraser works good too. Do not rub very hard causing damage to the coating. While you are at it go ahead and clean the center cluster card aswell to save having to do it later.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh71NC View Post
Like most of you fellow YJ owners, my fuel gauge is spotty at best. When I fill the jeep up it has no problem reading a full tank, the gauge reads great until I get around a quarter of a tank. Once at a quarter of a tank, it randomly goes between three quarters and a half tank reading until I get pissed off and fill it up again. Its not a huge deal as I've dealing with it for a while now and I'm used to putting gas in nearly everyday. But as soon as I let my wife drive it alone, low and behold she calls me on the side of the road saying that my jeep is broke down... Empty tank... women never learn...

Anyway, what's the best way to diagnose this problem without yanking the whole *** end out of my jeep?

Many Thanks
I fixed mine with a new sending until. its only 7 bolts to drop the tank. happy to walk you through it if you want.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Jeremy93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I fixed mine by pulling the sending unit and opening the small brown box that the float arm goes into. I cleaned the contacts inside then re-bent the tiny contact arm until the contact was touching through its entire arc of movement. You can test it with it out of the tank. Plug the sending unit into the wiring harness, turn on the key, and see the gas gauge move while you move the float arm. It took some trial and error to get the little contact arm bent just right, but I'm glad I did it. While you're in there, do the 20 gallon tank mod as well. Takes 15 seconds to do and makes life a bit easier. Good luck!
Jeremy93yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.