YJ front drive spinning/posi-lock/no 4 wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ front drive spinning/posi-lock/no 4 wheel drive

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
bdfletch

YJ front drive spinning/posi-lock/no 4 wheel drive

I just installed posi-lock on the front axle after finding all the vacuum hoses shot. Trying it on the beach only the back wheels spun..no 4 wheel drive as far as I can tell. The front drive shaft was turning just fine though it doesn't turn in 2 wheel drive though maybe that is okay. I'm a newbie. any ideas - thanks in advance.

bdfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The reason your front driveshaft was spinning is because your transfer case is locked in... If you ever want to test engagement of the posi lok you have to engage the posilok with the transfercase NOT locked... With the posi lok locked in and ur transfer case not locked in... Try to turn front driveshaft by hand, on e you can't spin it by hand without the transfercase locked then your differential is positively engaged.

I've already typed a bunch so I'll let the others troubleshoot the actual issue but above is how you know for sure if the front end is locked in.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

X2 check to see if your posi-lock is working by the method he said. Keeping the jeep in 2WD, engage the posi-lock. If you can turn the drive shaft more than just a hair in either direction, it is not engaging.

Brandon
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd do this......

Pull the cover off the disco. housing and then operate the Posi to make sure it's moving properly.

Put it back on and make sure the fork is over the sliding collar properly, yes it will go on wrong and not move the collar.

After it's all back on adjust accordingly.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Machine15825
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed with my posi lock sometimes I have to surge forward for my front axle to engage fully. Try feathering the clutch and "rock" the jeep and see if you can get an extra 1/4 inch of pull. That last quarter inch is where it's all at. That's provided you are confident you installed and adjusted it properly.
Machine15825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
bdfletch

I am new here and you people are right on top of everything!! Thank you for the troubleshooting techniques because I tried them and you were right...I hadn't installed the alignment correctly and wasn't engaging. and yes, that last 1/4/ counts!!

THANK YOU!
bdfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Machine15825
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's definitely right. Glad I could help. Enjoy!
Machine15825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it fixed. Don't be a stranger.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.