yj front axle engagement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj front axle engagement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
hurricane99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yj front axle engagement

ive got a 89 wrangler with a 4.2 and a 5-speed. i have it stored outside and last year when it started to snow i need it to get around. well long story short i put it in 4 hi and low but the light would not come on at all and i just sat there spinning my rear wheel. i had to get pulled out by my friends tj and it kinna pissed me off. i dont think my vaccum motor works my question is what is a great way to lock the front axle without a lot of money. i want to have it work before it snows again it will not be a dd it will just be for emergency snows .ive done a search but i just need a simple fix. thanks

Unread 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you did the search you would have seen the answer

1: pull cover off and slide fork over by hand and lock it in Cost : 0$
2: buy a axle from a cherokee or tj and swap it into your housing and change seal Cost: about $40-50
3: buy a cable locker, instead of it vacum locking you can pull a cable and manually lock it. cost: $30-100
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
8yj9

Where did you find the manual cable lock for 30?
8yj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
hurricane99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i found those writeups on here i just was not sure if they would be right thing. thanks for the answer ill check the junk yards for the axles and go from there
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8yj9 View Post
Where did you find the manual cable lock for 30?
some people have made their own cable locker thats where the $30 comes in, and some people just buy the kit for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane99 View Post
i found those writeups on here i just was not sure if they would be right thing. thanks for the answer ill check the junk yards for the axles and go from there
have you checked your vacum lines to see if one is broke or got a hole? i have the whole complete vacum line harness ill sell for $35 shipped.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.