yj frame swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj frame swap

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
timber5115

yj frame swap

The frame on my 93 yj is rusted by the back shackles and broke along with Other weak spots. Tried to find a welding shop or mechanic to put some autorust safety caps on but know one around me would weld a frame for liability reasons. So frame swap.

I have not done anything like this before, I've changed an axle on a Saturn before and some components ( alt. Water pump, etc) on older buicks.

My plan right now is to get the frame in 2 to 3 weeks, strip it, por15 both outside and inside. Then When weather warms take 2 weeks off to do the swap. I plan on changing bushings for body and motor mount and maybe shackles.

Are there any pitfalls I should avoid?
Any advice to give?

I don't have a garage and my driveway is gravel, I'm looking I to rent g a garage to do the swap in. Also I don't currently have access to a welder.

Thx in advance for any advice.

timber5115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
rustybeater
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had a issue getting the bolt out of my body mounts. If I were you I would look on craigslist or something and buy a mig welder and learn how to weld. It is not hard watch some youtube videos and practice. If some of the body mounts spin you will have to cut into your sheet metal to fix it and need to weld it back. If you learn to weld you could weld your own frame if you are comfortable and have a strong enough welder.
rustybeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's a big project, but if you are planning to keep the Jeep a while, it's worth it. I did mine in 2007 (I lived in NY state until 2011, jeep was always in the NE). You almost have to plan to swap out a lot more stuff in the process. Do new fuel and brake lines for sure, and new spring bushings. The main issue you will have is body mount bolts and some other rusted bolt on items.

Photo, tub on buddies hoist, drive train out. We unbolted old frame from axles, took it out, then added the new frame to the axles, then added the drive train, then tub.
1371086462.jpg

Unread 12-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
timber5115

Thx for the advice, I was looking at breaklines, didn't think I would be able to get them off without breaking them.

I am hoping to make this my last vehicle purchase for me, (wife is another story).

YouTube and reading this forum every night learning so much. I hope two weeks will be enough.
Unread 12-30-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
mickcollinsb16b
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber5115 View Post
Thx for the advice, I was looking at breaklines, didn't think I would be able to get them off without breaking them.

I am hoping to make this my last vehicle purchase for me, (wife is another story).

YouTube and reading this forum every night learning so much. I hope two weeks will be enough.
BIG JOB and rustybeater is right, learn to tack metal! dont worry about trying to salvage all the brake lines, flaring and bending tube is not rocket science. we can walk you through it
Unread 12-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
timber5115

I can't wait to get started, maybe in the process I can come up with a good name, my wife just refers to it as my mistress.
Unread 12-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
timber5115

That's what hoping for, good adive for a noob like me.
Unread 01-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
timber5115

Does anyone know if a yj frame is skinny enough to fit in the back of an f150. I know it'll hang out the back. Just seeing if I need to get a trailer or not
Unread 01-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber5115
Does anyone know if a yj frame is skinny enough to fit in the back of an f150. I know it'll hang out the back. Just seeing if I need to get a trailer or not
I'd do it. A couple of 6' 2x4s and at worst you could set it on the bedsides and strap it down. I picked up one 200 miles away and brought it home in/on a dbl snowmobile trailer, 8'x8' bed.
Unread 01-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
timber5115

@ fishadventure, awesome. I'm looking at one in Ohio on the 16th, hope to come home with it.
Unread 01-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
timber5115

Got the frame today. Next step wire wheel the while thing and por 15 it.

The hard part is going to be coating the inside of the frame. I think I heard of a spray gun that can do it but I have no idea where to find such spray gun for the inside.
Unread 01-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I thought of doing the inside when I did mine on '07, but didn't. I figured the first frame took 15 years to get bad living in the NE at the time, so the next frame should be fine if taken care of at all. It's mud and dirt holding water that kills it more than just bare metal to the air. I just drilled two 1.5" holes in the far far back, the last inch of the frame. I figured if I got in some mud, or thought it dirty, I'd just park nose up on a hill and flush it out from the holes already in the front. Turns out, 5 years later I moved to New Mexico where rust is not an issue.

People rave about POR-15, but I just used Dupli-color Truck Bed Coating.
Unread 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, treat your frame. I'm doing a frame off job too. Wash the frame out, let dry and use the Eastwood coating. It's easy and inexpensive.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
timber5115

Do you know about how many cans it'll take to do the inside?

Last edited by timber5115; 01-18-2016 at 08:15 PM..
Unread 01-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #15
TEXAIR
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the swap. I am doing the same thing, although I am setting my YJ on a TJ frame. I already have the lift components and am ready to go. The tear down starts this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.