YJ frame swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ frame swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Kobra33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 17
YJ frame swap

Hello fellow jeepers!

My frame on my Yj has rotted from the Inside out. At the skid plate driver side it is completely gone... My only option is to sell it or get a frame swap. Mind you this is not my daily this is strictly a mudder. The frame will cost me 350 and the labor for it will cost me around 1500-2000. Should I sell the jeep and get a better one... Thing is that selling the Yj will give me around 3800 due to the chassis problem(I have had 5 people come see it already) and to get a new YJ will cost me around 5500 with a lift kit installed. With that alone I think that the frame swap will be worth it. My engine and transmission are in perfect shape.


I want to know your opinion on this topic.

Thank you!!

Kobra33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler
 
Michaelgoesrawr's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 6,930
Do the work yourself and fix the jeep for 350.
__________________
Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Kobra33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
Do the work yourself and fix the jeep for 350.
Wish I had the space to do it. And the mechanical know how.
Kobra33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
USMCBuckWild
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
Posts: 976
Its not as hard as you think. Almost all the wiring stays in the tub, the axles simply unbolt at the spring perches. The worst part is pulling the drivetrain and swapping it. I would buy new brake lines and replace wth all new, they are cheap enough and will give you piece of mind. Same with fuel lines (I would upgrade to braided stainless to be tougher and more resitant to rust due to your mudding) then bolt everything back down. Its really not that hard.
__________________
91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Kobra33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild
Its not as hard as you think. Almost all the wiring stays in the tub, the axles simply unbolt at the spring perches. The worst part is pulling the drivetrain and swapping it. I would buy new brake lines and replace wth all new, they are cheap enough and will give you piece of mind. Same with fuel lines (I would upgrade to braided stainless to be tougher and more resitant to rust due to your mudding) then bolt everything back down. Its really not that hard.
I would love too but in Miami, you need a garage. And I do not have that or anyone that does
Kobra33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
USMCBuckWild
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
Posts: 976
Do what my Marines do: get a storage unit (our small base doesn't have a hobby shop, or even a gas station) 2-3 will pool money and grab a storage unit together and work out of it, usually a climate controlled one. Almost all have power inside, run a compressor, small welder, power tools and a fridge (need beer!!) make sure its near a pizza place or Burger joint so food and bathroom brakes are quick.
__________________
91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler
 
Michaelgoesrawr's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 6,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild
Do what my Marines do: get a storage unit (our small base doesn't have a hobby shop, or even a gas station) 2-3 will pool money and grab a storage unit together and work out of it, usually a climate controlled one. Almost all have power inside, run a compressor, small welder, power tools and a fridge (need beer!!) make sure its near a pizza place or Burger joint so food and bathroom brakes are quick.
Genius idea
__________________
Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.