Yj frame & mount swaps - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 Old 05-26-2015, 01:46 PM
HaskiE
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbisofVita View Post
The Jeep would be my DD but, I wanted to put at least 33's on it. I was looking at the SOA and saw it as my chance to get into one of my dream projects that i've had for it. I would do some offroading this summer and probably go up to the dunes but, i'd mainly drive it. Do you think it'd be worth it? Also, whatever I do I have until August to get it finished. I've already started taking photos of my entire jeep and where everything goes where so I know where everything goes back to.When it comes time to actually take it apart I'm going to make videos of everything I do and set them into folders so I know how to put it back on when I get there. Let me know what you think of all this guys. Is this a good plan? Or is it doomed to fail? I do although have a few buddies who have done a frameswap in a weekend that I can ask help for too.
so you only have 3ish months?

Trade yours in at a "push it/ tow it/ we'll give you 1k for it" and get something that can get a sticker and enjoy your summer.

1992 YJ 1"Body Lift, Slip Yoke Eliminator & CV Driveshaft,
2.5" TJ exhaust, WJ valve cover, XJ Computer, External Slave Cyl AX15,
Durango Steeringbox, No track or sway bars, CJ tailgate, on 31's :)
#theneverendingaxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post
so you only have 3ish months?

Trade yours in at a "push it/ tow it/ we'll give you 1k for it" and get something that can get a sticker and enjoy your summer.

I'm kinda leaning toward this also. Three months isn't sufficient time to complete the project this seems to be turning into... unless you have alot of spare time and even more spare money to burn through.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
post #63 of 68 Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh dang thanks for letting me know about all this guys I'll be picking up the frame this weekend and getting on it I'll start a new thread when it comes to the swap because I plan on chasis saving it and then running monstaline over it after I do that but this being said, I'll be sure to properly prep it so it doesn't turn to a poopy peel after 5 weeks. Let me know if you guys have had any luck lining the frame and how long it lasted

post #64 of 68 Old 05-26-2015, 11:54 PM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
For your frame, i would recommend blasting it, then coating with Pickle x20 while you do your welds you need to do. Then coat with POR15 and then use a PPG topcoat. Rather than monstaliner on the frame. It will be cheaper too.

1987 YJ - Aka; SpeedBump.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17
post #65 of 68 Old 05-27-2015, 05:24 AM
HaskiE
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckruzer View Post
For your frame, i would recommend blasting it, then coating with Pickle x20 while you do your welds you need to do. Then coat with POR15 and then use a PPG topcoat. Rather than monstaliner on the frame. It will be cheaper too.
x2 Monstaliner isn't cheap!! I haven't used it yet but I like how it looks in photos. I'll probably get some and put it on the inside of my tub.

POR15 peeled for me, I did the full kit... Marine clean/ metal ready/ etc. then 4 coats of POR15 and then 6 coats of their chassis coat black to cover it up. there are sections that it peels off like skin from a sunburn

If I were to do it again I'd go a different route, that was alot of work and $$ to have it peel at the end. Rustoleum has never peeled for me...

1992 YJ 1"Body Lift, Slip Yoke Eliminator & CV Driveshaft,
2.5" TJ exhaust, WJ valve cover, XJ Computer, External Slave Cyl AX15,
Durango Steeringbox, No track or sway bars, CJ tailgate, on 31's :)
#theneverendingaxe
post #66 of 68 Old 05-27-2015, 08:28 AM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post
Marine clean/ metal ready/ etc. then 4 coats of POR15 and then 6 coats of their chassis coat black to cover it up.
That may be why. I dont support their old "chassis black saver". too sensitive to humidity and other contaminants. Their TopCoat I know works well. USAF uses it.

Its a bummer that i can do the inside of my tub until its off frame

הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17
post #67 of 68 Old 05-29-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all your help I really appreciate it. I have a lot of time and extra money to burn so I plan on investing 500 in the frame to get the rollers and maybe even suspension whatever I can get for 500. I'll then use the other 500 to burn through getting fuel lines brake lines etc. but what is pickle x20? I tried looking this up and came up with nothing I've looked up a lot on the chemical theory side of all the rust proofing products and settled on the CS because I can get a quart of it free with a gallon of MONSTALINER for the inside of my tub. Which I also planned on doing while it was off that being said I've never thought of coating over different products so explaining to me what that means or how to even do that would be very helpful because I'm still learning. Also, when I start this project which, I'm planning to pick up the frame Saturday is their anyway I can cut out all of my questions and less important topics and just condense it on how I do the frame swap and line it?
post #68 of 68 Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 PM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just start a build tread for it and post your questions on this one

Picklex20.com

הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17

Tags
frame swap , help needed , jeep yj , lift help , shock mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.