Yj frame & mount swaps - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do have a cherry picker that I can use to pull out the engine and trans and to even take the tub off if needed but these are the photos of the major crack I'm dealing with no one around me would mess around with it so I was left with limited options. I'm now thinking I might just buy a project Jeep or a TJ project jeep and just finish the project one after I coat it to keep it from rusting. Gotta love the rust belt. Also you can tell by the bottom of the frame majority of it was crappy welding too, theirs hand size rust holes in the rear driver side too.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0470.jpg   IMG_0471.jpg   IMG_0473.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckruzer View Post
Here is this in ann arbor. Why not get this and then sell the axles? make back maybe 500. Craiglist Post

And here is this one in Grand Rapids. Needs some welding, but that is the easy and fun part. Craigslist Post

Another Grand Rapids one for only 400 bones. Craigslist Post

Keep shopping man
Thanks for that man I saw the one for 850 but then I saw these that I wanted to look into

The red CJ for 700
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tag/4991596375.html

The Gun Metal Blue TJ $950
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5029964779.html

1990 White Wrangler $1000
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5017661182.html

1994 White Wrangler Running 1100
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5033417822.html

93 Rust bucket shaky on
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5033203623.html

Or the 97 Jeep TJ/YJ hybrid Project Id ask 700 for just because imma need new everything in the front
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5019635121.html

I know now this is alot of work to ask to help me choose for me but Im undecided and I dont want to screw myself over guys.
post #33 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wouldn't try fixing the one you posted the pictures of... can only imagine how bad it is in the normal trouble spots. Is your tub in good condition?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/

post #34 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
I wouldn't try fixing the one you posted the pictures of... can only imagine how bad it is in the normal trouble spots. Is your tub in good condition?
Thanks for your input Shadow what do you think about the CL posts do you think trying to fix that 02 TJ would be good? and my tubs sitting in pretty good condition from the looks just a crack on the driver side in the door crease it has cracked the tub on the driver side and one crack by the rear passenger corner.
post #35 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 11:34 AM
HaskiE
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbisofVita View Post
I do have a cherry picker that I can use to pull out the engine and trans and to even take the tub off if needed but these are the photos of the major crack I'm dealing with no one around me would mess around with it so I was left with limited options. I'm now thinking I might just buy a project Jeep or a TJ project jeep and just finish the project one after I coat it to keep it from rusting. Gotta love the rust belt. Also you can tell by the bottom of the frame majority of it was crappy welding too, theirs hand size rust holes in the rear driver side too.
Quote:
Thanks for your input Shadow what do you think about the CL posts do you think trying to fix that 02 TJ would be good? and my tubs sitting in pretty good condition from the looks just a crack on the driver side in the door crease it has cracked the tub on the driver side and one crack by the rear passenger corner.
(is your jeep made of limestone?? what's with all the cracks? no rot?? )

What's scary about that is how thick the metal is at the crack. You had to have applied some serious amount of force to crack it like that, or it's just really soft right there, doesn't look it though.

you can test for frame softspots by whacking it with a hammer or stabbing it with a drift or a screw driver, should get a nice 'ping' not a crunch/poke thru/etc.

I'm guessing this jeep was just like mine, had the freakin crap kicked out of it for years and years and the suspension is completely shot? (or ridiculously stiff) then a highway pot hole at speed? you're lucky it didn't flip the jeep!

I'd still think about fixing it, although the jeep may never be perfectly square again, it'll be more square than that abomination you almost bought!!

lets see the rest of the frame!

1992 YJ 1"Body Lift, Slip Yoke Eliminator & CV Driveshaft,
2.5" TJ exhaust, WJ valve cover, XJ Computer, External Slave Cyl AX15,
Durango Steeringbox, No track or sway bars, CJ tailgate, on 31's :)
#theneverendingaxe
post #36 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lol Michigan roads are terrible. The suspension might be shot and that might have done it because theirs no rock crawlin around me to be doing. But, I'll have to get you photos later tonight my jeeps at my other house and I won't be able to get over there til later but i'll be sure to upload some photos but do you think buying a project Jeep could be a possibility HaskiE? I only ask because by the time I buy another welder and all the materials for the frame patching i'd be spending about the same as one of the project Jeeps.
post #37 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My phone is kinda screwed up at the moment, haven't looked at the links. If you haven't already I'd really go over the tub and see if its worth saving, take a screwdriver and a hammer. Pull all the carpet, flares, armor, scrape any rust bubbles, etc... only picking the scabs will tell.

I pulled my tub off to fix the frame, found alot more areas with the tub off... fixed those, then found the tub to be too big of a pile of crap to put back on so I replaced it too. I dont regret any of it, but I would suggest you make sure you get the parts you need on whichever donor/ replacement you choose.

post #38 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I only ask because by the time I buy another welder and all the materials for the frame patching i'd be spending about the same as one of the project Jeeps.
Either way you're eventually gonna need a welder... or money to pay one to do your work.

post #39 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
Either way you're eventually gonna need a welder... or money to pay one to do your work.
You're right and I ripped out all my carpet to prep for lining it and I can see what all is bad on the inside on the outside its more just rust bleeding through the paint and those bubbles were from the crack. That being said, I guess using parts of the tub from the donor will help one of the white project YJ Jeeps tub looks immaculate how do I inspect to see this is true when I go to purchase this donor? Any tips or anything for me to look out for? I really appreciate you and HaskiE's help and wisdom lol.
post #40 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just decide how much rust you're willing to fix before you buy it.

post #41 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 05:31 PM
HaskiE
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Lol Michigan roads are terrible. The suspension might be shot and that might have done it because theirs no rock crawlin around me to be doing. But, I'll have to get you photos later tonight my jeeps at my other house and I won't be able to get over there til later but i'll be sure to upload some photos but do you think buying a project Jeep could be a possibility HaskiE? I only ask because by the time I buy another welder and all the materials for the frame patching i'd be spending about the same as one of the project Jeeps.
listen to yourself, you've already got a project jeep and you're going to buy another one?????

use your money to fix your jeep. buy a used frame if you need to... if you need tools buy them first, when you're broke you'll be surprised what you can fab up from scrap, or what you can repair - just takes will power & time.

Heck, people build these things from catalogs...

you could start saving your pennies and get a brandy new frame:
http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/jeepFrames/yj

I wanna say I've heard of people ordering just frame rails and doing the cross members & mounts themselves to save some money - What you feel you're capable of is what you should do. If you trust your welds and want the glory of saying you did it, then get a welder and have at it.

You know your budget, space/tools, time table and capabilities. Don't lie to yourself! is this a dream??

1992 YJ 1"Body Lift, Slip Yoke Eliminator & CV Driveshaft,
2.5" TJ exhaust, WJ valve cover, XJ Computer, External Slave Cyl AX15,
Durango Steeringbox, No track or sway bars, CJ tailgate, on 31's :)
#theneverendingaxe
post #42 of 68 Old 05-21-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to weld it myself but I feel the backlash from my peers deeming the jeep a "Death Trap" would prevent me from being able to do so. HaskiE do you think I should just cut off the bad chunks of the frame and buy replacement sections? and man I would love to start saving my pennies for a frame like that.
post #43 of 68 Old 05-22-2015, 02:22 AM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I typed a nice reply for you and JF goes and 404s on my post. Oh well. Like Haskie said. Why buy a whole another pile? That ad for the 400 bone frame is awesome priced. The best looking one had those 10 bolts and you dont want those. That TJ - TJ tubs do not line up with YJ front. The whole body is different from the YJ era to the TJ. Prob why the guy is selling it, and you can see the front is not bolted in.

1987 YJ - Aka; SpeedBump.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17
post #44 of 68 Old 05-22-2015, 02:27 AM
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I would love to weld it myself but I feel the backlash from my peers deeming the jeep a "Death Trap" would prevent me from being able to do so. HaskiE do you think I should just cut off the bad chunks of the frame and buy replacement sections? and man I would love to start saving my pennies for a frame like that.
Well then your peers can suck it. Often, the apparent negative comment of others is from ignorance. Usually those with knowledge know how hard it was to obtain, and would not ever be so negative with someone attempting to gain that knowledge.

There is no engineering involved if you mod a existing frame. If you build your own, you better know about crumple zones, fold points, etc.

Build from the ground up. its exhilarating. Shoot, you could even mod a YJ frame, and stick a TJ body on it!!!!

Lots of people on here have turned JEEP into a religion. If you become a asker of questions, and spearhead your way into new understandings - you will always have zealots who dub you a "blasphemer".

1987 YJ - Aka; SpeedBump.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה

YJOTM AUG '17
post #45 of 68 Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckruzer View Post
Well then your peers can suck it. Often, the apparent negative comment of others is from ignorance. Usually those with knowledge know how hard it was to obtain, and would not ever be so negative with someone attempting to gain that knowledge.

There is no engineering involved if you mod a existing frame. If you build your own, you better know about crumple zones, fold points, etc.

Build from the ground up. its exhilarating. Shoot, you could even mod a YJ frame, and stick a TJ body on it!!!!

Lots of people on here have turned JEEP into a religion. If you become a asker of questions, and spearhead your way into new understandings - you will always have zealots who dub you a "blasphemer".
Lol, I like your thinking. What do you suggest then? just welding it all around and then fishplate every side? Would I want to use an arch welder for this or a mig? That frame for 400 looks killer! I didn't even see that!

Tags
frame swap , help needed , jeep yj , lift help , shock mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.