Yj frame & mount swaps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj frame & mount swaps

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!

Unread 05-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yj frame & mount swaps

Hey guys, so this'll be my first time finally posting on the forum and I have alot
of questions to ask. I'm about to purchase a frame that has been built and is made out of 1/4 in steel but doesn't have any mounts for the shocks. This being said, I started to look for mount replacements and I came across the Ford Shock Tower mounts and it intrigued me. I would love to do just a standard straight up shock mount in the front and rear although I don't know what my clearances would be on my tub. Basically, for the swap im looking at getting new brake lines, new fuel lines, new ground straps, and a whole new body mount kit. This is because I don't think the jeep ever lived in its life with the tub off before. Please let me know what you guys think as I would love to put the ford shock mounts in but I would have no idea what to do and what clearances id have nor what the heck uptravel and downtravel is! Thanks for the help guys.

OrbisofVita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum! I cant answer your frame questions but if you need any electrical stuff let me know. You should also look up great lakes 4x4. There are some guys near you that know their stuff. Also pirate4x4 but they are really hard on peeps who ask stupid questions so just a heads up.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I appreciate your reply and thanks for letting me know and I'll be sure to! I actually have a problem right now with my MPH light it doesn't want to turn on at all! I checked to make sure their were light clusters in the dash too all my other lights work fine but my 4WD light has only engaged once but, that's a different problem.
Unread 05-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbisofVita View Post
Hey guys, so this'll be my first time finally posting on the forum and I have alot
of questions to ask. I'm about to purchase a frame that has been built and is made out of 1/4 in steel but doesn't have any mounts for the shocks. This being said, I started to look for mount replacements and I came across the Ford Shock Tower mounts and it intrigued me. I would love to do just a standard straight up shock mount in the front and rear although I don't know what my clearances would be on my tub. Basically, for the swap im looking at getting new brake lines, new fuel lines, new ground straps, and a whole new body mount kit. This is because I don't think the jeep ever lived in its life with the tub off before. Please let me know what you guys think as I would love to put the ford shock mounts in but I would have no idea what to do and what clearances id have nor what the heck uptravel and downtravel is! Thanks for the help guys.
Is this a home made frame? Whats wrong with yours? You could always cut of you factory mounts and put them on this one frame your about to buy. The ford shock mounts are great for the front for a long travel shock but will not fit in the rear if you run factory axles. Why not just find a factory replacement frame. Weird you didn't ask about motor mounts. If it didn't have shock mount provisions are the motor mounts ever there? 4cyl and 6cyl are not the same. So if that wasn't an issue why would shock mounts be?
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
ckruzer
Jeremiah 33:3

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Shock Mount

Rear Mount Relocation

Shock Hoop Conversion

These are what I am about to do on a clean YJ frame just recently picked up

Phillipians 3:20 - "For our citizenship is in Heaven..."

My President is Jesus
ckruzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbisofVita View Post
Good lord.

A frame swap is no easy task! ask me! I'm on Year #2!

I hope you have plenty of room... a jeep is most efficiently stored in the shape of a Jeep!

Also, if this is a home made frame, you would want to make sure the spring hangers are in the right places, (did he swap to links/coils/etc?) are they the right distance apart? is this thing square?? Is it even the right shape to accept all these mounts? (maybe he was planing something else?)

Next you'll need provisions for mounting the gas tank, and center cross member (peice that holds up the transmission), along with the shocks & motor mounts as pointed out earlier. Is the gas tank cross member in the right place? is it the right shape to accept a stock tank? How about the nutserts for the center cross member, are those there?

Then you'll want to make sure there is a spot to mount your steering box... and your grill & radiator. Is he providing bumpers? you'll want to make sure those fit too.

You'll need the proper exhaust hangers because clearance between the gas tank and the exhaust is tight on a YJ. The Ebrake line snakes thru the frame and then is mounted on a carrier on the inside of the frame, you'll need that on there also. Same for the fuel filter, there should be mounting provisions for that as well.

The Sway bar and track bar mounts are kind of an after thought, but they'd be easier to attach with the motor and body off, so you should check for at least the sway bar mount on the passenger side, the driver side ties into the steering box mount.

That *might* be everything...

Pictures! lets see this thing.

Goodluck!

#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

some more to get your motor churning

now would be a great time to do an engine lift and a tummy tuck/ flat belly plate

along with a body mount delete & boatsides:

but even just the shock mounts you spoke of require some hardcore welding. Do you weld?

#theneverendingaxe
Unread 05-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
LWR2
1991 YJ Wrangler 

"body mount delete"

I just searched this with no hits....... Can you elaborate?

LWR2
LWR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR2 View Post
"body mount delete"

LWR2
Quote:
"body mount delete"

LWR2
that's your first post! Welcome!!

it's something I think I'm gonna try and do on my pile at some point - just as in the photo above, it gets rid of the 3 side body mounts and replaces them with steel/etc.

from this:

to this:

because this:
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 05-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
LWR2
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Haskie,

Thanks for the info. Yes its my first post, I just picked up a yj after being out of the Jeep scene since 1993.

Thanks,
LWR2
LWR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haskie,

Thanks for the info. Yes its my first post, I just picked up a yj after being out of the Jeep scene since 1993.

Thanks,
LWR2
no prob!!

now if the OP would come back with some photos of that home made frame we'd be all set!

#theneverendingaxe
Unread 05-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay so just an update I got photos of the frame and after talking with him I'll be able to get it with the dana 44s and drive shaft and all the mounts and even body mounts but now i'm really interested in that body mount deletes. But he ended up settling with 700 for it. Now as an amateur welder I didn't want to take the chance to patch my frame for more cracking elsewhere so I decided to get a new one. I was also planning on swapping the 4cyl to a 350 small block to give it more power as its already coming out and more 4 bangers extremely old. Thanks for all your guys help too he hasn't placed any of the shock mounts on it but he outboarded it and put new leafsprings with a mounting system on it to vary the lift on the jeep. These were the best photos I could get the bumpers are built into the frame. He used a 250v Mig welder to weld the frame and stitch welded parts of the underneath. He didn't bother fish plating the rear section of the frame where theirs consecutive welds because it was an inside weld. Let me know how this is.
frame.jpg

01616_2csfkwo98f4_600x450.jpg

framw.jpg

Last edited by OrbisofVita; 05-15-2015 at 03:03 PM..
Unread 05-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd pass on it and get a stock frame (which is what I did 8 yrs ago).
Unread 05-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
ckruzer
Jeremiah 33:3

1987 YJ Wrangler 

the axles are worth it, if they be d44's. imho.

the thing with custom frames... most important part... and you dont know the seller from adam. the shackle reversal is cool though.

why tow hitch on front? those rear body mounts appear to be off. it would seem the rear bumper would be protruding pretty far out.

Phillipians 3:20 - "For our citizenship is in Heaven..."

My President is Jesus
ckruzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
OrbisofVita
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah which made me skeptical of it but seeing it in person it wasn't as drastic as i thought. Its about the same length of what it'd be with the bumper mount on it. He just decided to extend the frame and put a tire carrier mount in it. I'll attach another photo. But yes I was skeptical too but it seems like he knows what he's doing by the photos of the other custom frames he's done. He just decided to move to motorcycle projects instead and decided to try to sell it because he doesn't have enough time to do it with the other projects and 7 day week job he's got going. He let me even bang test it where I wanted I checked the stress points and made sure those welds were solid and they felt really solid to me but I could be wrong. But the reason for the hitch in the front is for front towing so if he's getting towed but I was just gonna build a brush mount that just mounts into it. The reason the dual hitch mounts in the back look off is so that you have two options for towing higher for a higher rig and lower for a low tow. But I liked the reverse shackle idea too and you can see in the middle photo the leaf spring level mounts he set up he just used a standard bolting pattern for it, no grade 8 so I plan to swap out the bolts. Do you guys think the frame would still get alot of pressure where the shackles are? And what do you guys think about the weld job from the photos? and living in Michigan the only other frame I can get is like five hours away and wants like 850 for it and its already rusting. And oh, for the body mount deletes do you just cover up the body mounts to prevent corrosion? And no, the tub is not bolted onto the frame its just sitting on it thats why it looks so weird but if you look at the middle photo of the first ones I posted you'll be able to see the rear mounts for the tub and then the insert hole for the tire swing. That gap was left to create enough space so that if you were heavy wheeling you wouldn't get your tire stuck on anything because it'd be flush with the frame. The cats name was harley by the way nice barn cat.
01212_7u7izhrcxgl_600x450.jpg

Tags
frame swap , help needed , jeep yj , lift help , shock mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.