YJ Fiberglass Doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Fiberglass Doors

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
msfitnrtz
2012 JK Wrangler 

YJ Fiberglass Doors

These doors came with my 1990 YJ. I am looking to retrofit ( as I assume, yes I dared use that word!) onto my wrangler. am I correct they can fit on my YJ once I change the locks ( no keys were present) and add weatherstrip. it is freezing and my cloth doors are not helping!

Thanks
If anyone knows the brand Acme possibly but i thought they would look cool until I decide on a color. I do like their color but then my YJ would need some color change too! A girl has to have matching accessories for her Jeep!

2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon!
Auto
msfitnrtz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
jakechristina
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I believe those were origanially for a CJ7, but they should fit with some minor hinge adjustment. Those type doors had two different types of latchs, some used a striker pin and some slide type latch IIRC. I love those lower windows!
jakechristina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
aldrichg9
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like the lower windows too!
aldrichg9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had those exact kind when I was in college. Bought them as a kit with a hard top from JCWhitney back in the mid 90's. DON"T USE THEM....unless you like a high pitched whistle. When you turn on the heat, the air escapes the interior and those doors have very little support near the upper edges, so the pressure inside is able to squeeze out between the door frame and hardtop, making a loud whistle. It gets very loud when traveling at highway speeds and having the heater fan on. I tried extra insulation to block the gaps, but nothing worked.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
msfitnrtz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50rck View Post
I had those exact kind when I was in college. Bought them as a kit with a hard top from JCWhitney back in the mid 90's. DON"T USE THEM....unless you like a high pitched whistle. When you turn on the heat, the air escapes the interior and those doors have very little support near the upper edges, so the pressure inside is able to squeeze out between the door frame and hardtop, making a loud whistle. It gets very loud when traveling at highway speeds and having the heater fan on. I tried extra insulation to block the gaps, but nothing worked.
Darn! I think they look so cool ( that lower window). I might need to use them until I find some regular hard doors. I have a 4 piece Targa hard top, the old Steel horse and using my half doors with upper sliders but they are not fitting correct either. I need to live a warm climate so I can drive "topless" or without doors.

Thank You! I might have to use them but at least I know they may not completely seal the jeep. Jeeps are always noisy I just bought more speakers too to drown out some noises.

Auto
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

LOL, those are kinda cool looking. Ive never seen those before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Drafty? C'mon, it's a 20 year old Jeep! They look pretty cool, I'd put them on and crank up the heater and the tunes
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50rck View Post
How about cracking the windows open a little? I have factory hard doors and they don't seal to my soft top properly either.
djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Jesse_87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My factory hard doors whistle, I just got used to it. Just another YJ quirk. And opening the window just a little helps tons. I smoke so the window is usually open about an inch anyway.
Jesse_87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Jesse_87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where are you at in Va? I'll buy them if you don't want them. I think they look cool.
Jesse_87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
jakechristina
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd711 View Post
Drafty? C'mon, it's a 20 year old Jeep! They look pretty cool, I'd put them on and crank up the heater and the tunes
^^^^x2
jakechristina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
msfitnrtz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_87 View Post
Where are you at in Va? I'll buy them if you don't want them. I think they look cool.
Up in NoVA outside DC. I ordered seal and locks and I am going to see how I like them. I will post photos . I have installed half door with hard sliding uppers but they won't fit correct -way too drafty!

If i don't like I will sell them or trade for "regular" YJ paddle type handled doors.

Auto
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
gls
1994 YJ Wrangler 

fiber glass door handle hardware

I just bought the same doors for my 94 YJ. I was curious if you could tell me what kind of hardware you had for your locks. The person who owned mine originally just rigged something up and now I am going to try and replace it with the right hardware but haven't had any luck finding it.
gls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
deathstar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to have some like that! I wonder if they would work with a frameless soft top for my 95
deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
jmmorgan82

http://eberhard.com/passenger-restra...es/cat_17.html <-- There are your latches and I'm sure you could order the striker from them as well.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.