Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ Fender Replacement...

13K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  igotdoo 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forum but looking forward to learning a lot more than when I first joined. Anyways onto the quick questions...

:confused:
About three weeks ago I hit a deer (300lbs buck) at 60mph in my '92 YJ hard top. Lemme tell you I'm glad I own a tough veh, no mech damage whatsoever. BUT what we all cringe at hearing...body damage.

I need to replace both fenders and hammer out the grill. As far as the question runs, the fender assembly just bolts on an off right? No welding\cutting involved when changing those buggers? This may sound like a dumb Q, and yes I did look underneath and noted the bolts that appear to hold both on but I wanted to make sure those bolts were for removing the panels and not something else.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find the bolt locations (so I don't miss taking any hidden ones off) or better yet a tear down manual that actually shows the good stuff, not how to do an oil change and that's it. (I own the Hayes manual and it blows, no offence to any people who live by this book).

#2 ·
There's a couple bolts that hold it to the grill, and a couple in the rear along the inside that bolt to the tub, and a couple that bolt to the brackets between the fender and the tub. Pretty much any bolt you see on the fender comes off. It's a pretty quick job. JC Whitney - $99 fenders. Good enough for me - I'm just going to crumple them again anyway :D

#3 ·
withamc said:
There's a couple bolts that hold it to the grill, and a couple in the rear along the inside that bolt to the tub, and a couple that bolt to the brackets between the fender and the tub. Pretty much any bolt you see on the fender comes off. It's a pretty quick job. JC Whitney - $99 fenders. Good enough for me - I'm just going to crumple them again anyway :D
Hehe great stuff I'll take a look at em, I'm in Canada so I don't know how much that would cost me to ship from JC. I ordered mine through a parts shop here and cost me 180$ (CAD) ea! The stealership was 250$ (CAD) each! Hehe, any throughts on the toughness\durability of these new "fibreglass\composite" fenders?

#5 ·
92 Green YJ said:
We cringe at that? It adds character. Besides, chicks dig body damage
Irregardless of anyone's thoughts on body damage, this thing is my daily driver also AND the grill is now less than 1\2in from my rad and quite frankly I don't want a stray branch or bird denting it just that little bit more and causing a nice gouge in my perfectly fine rad. :)

#6 ·
yea you worry about birds and branches, i worry about my friends assualting me with paintball guns while pulling into his driveway, i got a nice couple dents in my rad thanks to them, morons...

#7 ·
Got my fenders in today, well fender, one of them was stamped wrong and was deformed, waiting for the replacement.

I noticed on the box it said "Renegade 87-90" and mine is a 92 YJ. I looked at all the bolt patterns and they seem to match, anyone know if the 1990 renegade had slightly different fenders than the 92 wrangler?? I'm assuming since its all YJ its the same body\fender style but just wanna make sure cuz if they were all the same wouldn't it have listed 87- 95?? Any ideas? :confused:

#8 ·
Not sure about the Renegade part, but I replaced my right front fender on my 94 YJ with on from an 88 YJ. Bolted right up.

chris
g1

#9 ·
gosling1 said:
Not sure about the Renegade part, but I replaced my right front fender on my 94 YJ with on from an 88 YJ. Bolted right up.

chris
g1
Good good, I would assume they fit, they look identical, just gotta paint em and bolt em. Anyone heard anything about these "fiber glass" ones? They as tough as people say?

#10 ·
CanukYJ said:
Irregardless of anyone's thoughts on body damage, this thing is my daily driver also AND the grill is now less than 1\2in from my rad and quite frankly I don't want a stray branch or bird denting it just that little bit more and causing a nice gouge in my perfectly fine rad. :)
Gotcha. Mine is also my DD. I'll admit I can usually be founr goin over all the fabbed stuff with a rattle can to touch up the trail beutry marks and rust on a regular basis.

#11 ·
Well I'm not that bad just yet hehe, I like keeping the mud and little mark on her here and there. But the WHOLE front end is crushed. Its almost sad to look at hehe.

#12 ·
YJ wranglers were the ones with the hideous ground effects, but don't see where that would make the fender any different, unless the holes for the flares (if you can call them that on a YJ 'gade) are in different places

#13 ·
wm69 said:
YJ wranglers were the ones with the hideous ground effects, but don't see where that would make the fender any different, unless the holes for the flares (if you can call them that on a YJ 'gade) are in different places
What the hell are you talking about? Ground effects? My YJ Wrangler has no ground effects. Flares are very similar as TJ flares.... and almost similar to the CJ flares, just a little extended past the fender into the rocker area.

The fenders are all the same, 87-95.

#14 ·
igotdoo said:
What the hell are you talking about? Ground effects? My YJ Wrangler has no ground effects. Flares are very similar as TJ flares.... and almost similar to the CJ flares, just a little extended past the fender into the rocker area.

The fenders are all the same, 87-95.
I think he was talking about Renegades.

#15 ·
Right, talking about the renegades. Guess I could have written that as I don't think there are any mind readers out there....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.