YJ Fender Replacement... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Fender Replacement...

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-10-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
CanukYJ

YJ Fender Replacement...

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but looking forward to learning a lot more than when I first joined. Anyways onto the quick questions...

About three weeks ago I hit a deer (300lbs buck) at 60mph in my '92 YJ hard top. Lemme tell you I'm glad I own a tough veh, no mech damage whatsoever. BUT what we all cringe at hearing...body damage.

I need to replace both fenders and hammer out the grill. As far as the question runs, the fender assembly just bolts on an off right? No welding\cutting involved when changing those buggers? This may sound like a dumb Q, and yes I did look underneath and noted the bolts that appear to hold both on but I wanted to make sure those bolts were for removing the panels and not something else.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find the bolt locations (so I don't miss taking any hidden ones off) or better yet a tear down manual that actually shows the good stuff, not how to do an oil change and that's it. (I own the Hayes manual and it blows, no offence to any people who live by this book).

CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #2
withamc

There's a couple bolts that hold it to the grill, and a couple in the rear along the inside that bolt to the tub, and a couple that bolt to the brackets between the fender and the tub. Pretty much any bolt you see on the fender comes off. It's a pretty quick job. JC Whitney - $99 fenders. Good enough for me - I'm just going to crumple them again anyway
Unread 09-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by withamc
There's a couple bolts that hold it to the grill, and a couple in the rear along the inside that bolt to the tub, and a couple that bolt to the brackets between the fender and the tub. Pretty much any bolt you see on the fender comes off. It's a pretty quick job. JC Whitney - $99 fenders. Good enough for me - I'm just going to crumple them again anyway

Hehe great stuff I'll take a look at em, I'm in Canada so I don't know how much that would cost me to ship from JC. I ordered mine through a parts shop here and cost me 180$ (CAD) ea! The stealership was 250$ (CAD) each! Hehe, any throughts on the toughness\durability of these new "fibreglass\composite" fenders?
Unread 09-10-2003, 04:34 PM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
BUT what we all cringe at hearing...body damage.

We cringe at that? It adds character. Besides, chicks dig body damage
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ
We cringe at that? It adds character. Besides, chicks dig body damage

Irregardless of anyone's thoughts on body damage, this thing is my daily driver also AND the grill is now less than 1\2in from my rad and quite frankly I don't want a stray branch or bird denting it just that little bit more and causing a nice gouge in my perfectly fine rad.
Unread 09-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
smok3y

yea you worry about birds and branches, i worry about my friends assualting me with paintball guns while pulling into his driveway, i got a nice couple dents in my rad thanks to them, morons...

[COLOR=white]White Jeep Club #73,999,999[/COLOR]
smok3y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #7
CanukYJ

Got my fenders in today, well fender, one of them was stamped wrong and was deformed, waiting for the replacement.

I noticed on the box it said "Renegade 87-90" and mine is a 92 YJ. I looked at all the bolt patterns and they seem to match, anyone know if the 1990 renegade had slightly different fenders than the 92 wrangler?? I'm assuming since its all YJ its the same body\fender style but just wanna make sure cuz if they were all the same wouldn't it have listed 87- 95?? Any ideas?
Unread 09-11-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
gosling1

Not sure about the Renegade part, but I replaced my right front fender on my 94 YJ with on from an 88 YJ. Bolted right up.

chris
g1

Tango Uniform
gosling1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
CanukYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling1
Not sure about the Renegade part, but I replaced my right front fender on my 94 YJ with on from an 88 YJ. Bolted right up.

chris
g1

Good good, I would assume they fit, they look identical, just gotta paint em and bolt em. Anyone heard anything about these "fiber glass" ones? They as tough as people say?
Unread 09-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
Irregardless of anyone's thoughts on body damage, this thing is my daily driver also AND the grill is now less than 1\2in from my rad and quite frankly I don't want a stray branch or bird denting it just that little bit more and causing a nice gouge in my perfectly fine rad.
Gotcha. Mine is also my DD. I'll admit I can usually be founr goin over all the fabbed stuff with a rattle can to touch up the trail beutry marks and rust on a regular basis.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 04:11 PM   #11
CanukYJ

Well I'm not that bad just yet hehe, I like keeping the mud and little mark on her here and there. But the WHOLE front end is crushed. Its almost sad to look at hehe.
Unread 09-11-2003, 06:33 PM   #12
wm69

YJ wranglers were the ones with the hideous ground effects, but don't see where that would make the fender any different, unless the holes for the flares (if you can call them that on a YJ 'gade) are in different places

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 11:24 PM   #13
igotdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
YJ wranglers were the ones with the hideous ground effects, but don't see where that would make the fender any different, unless the holes for the flares (if you can call them that on a YJ 'gade) are in different places
What the hell are you talking about? Ground effects? My YJ Wrangler has no ground effects. Flares are very similar as TJ flares.... and almost similar to the CJ flares, just a little extended past the fender into the rocker area.

The fenders are all the same, 87-95.
igotdoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2003, 12:43 AM   #14
withamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotdoo
What the hell are you talking about? Ground effects? My YJ Wrangler has no ground effects. Flares are very similar as TJ flares.... and almost similar to the CJ flares, just a little extended past the fender into the rocker area.

The fenders are all the same, 87-95.
I think he was talking about Renegades.
Unread 09-12-2003, 07:27 AM   #15
wm69

Right, talking about the renegades. Guess I could have written that as I don't think there are any mind readers out there....

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.