YJ Experts Help. It is grinding going into gear. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Experts Help. It is grinding going into gear.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
target4fun
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Experts Help. It is grinding going into gear.

I have a 91 wrangler 5 speed 6 cyl and about a month ago I changed out the clutch master cylinder and bled it and it worked fine until now. All of a sudden it started grinding going into all gears so i checked master cylinder... it was low so i added fluid and bleed the clutch better as it would let me into gear but would still grind. When i am stopped it will go into every gear fine no problem ... I always start in 2nd and it doesn't grind at all but when the jeep gets going I try to shift to third gear and it grinds unless i pump the clutch then it goes in fine no problem. This makes me think the clutch master is out? It isn't leaking so don't think it is the slave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

target4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
target4fun
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone?
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would change the fluid in the transmission if you haven't done so yet and be sure to check for glitter. Then I would check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder. If it's already a little low maybe it's leaking?

You also might want to consider the hydraulic throwout bearing. It could be leaking as well.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
target4fun
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Last night I changed the tranny fluid. That didnt seem to fix it. I have not checked the hydraulic throwout bearing. Its just weird that when the jeep is going its hard to put into gear and grinding. When stopped it goes into all gears no problem i start off in 2nd (no grind) then once moving it will grind on each gear unless i pump the clutch.

Im going to do research to find and check the hydraulic throwout bearing. If thats it only think I could think would be the Clutch master is defective or weak.
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by target4fun View Post
Last night I changed the tranny fluid. That didnt seem to fix it. I have not checked the hydraulic throwout bearing. Its just weird that when the jeep is going its hard to put into gear and grinding. When stopped it goes into all gears no problem i start off in 2nd (no grind) then once moving it will grind on each gear unless i pump the clutch.

Im going to do research to find and check the hydraulic throwout bearing. If thats it only think I could think would be the Clutch master is defective or weak.
If your hydraulic system is solid and you're having trouble shifting into gear while moving it sounds like your syncro's are bad. They allow the different gears spinning at different speeds to sync up when shifting.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
ROKNDJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think I may have the same trouble. I get a slight grind going into third.

Is replacing the syncro's an expensive repair. I have abuddy who owns a repair shop who treats me well. I just want to be sure what I'm getting myself into. Not sure if this means a whole clutch replacement or what. I want to get out of this as cheap as possible.
ROKNDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why go through all that work to just figure out the problem? Go to a trans shop and let the experts diagnose the problem, they will be able to know if you need a rebuild, just a flush, a better bleed, or something else that no one on here would be able to think of because of your problem. My family owns a trans shop, usually the people are good and will diagnose it with just a test drive but I only have experience with my trans shop. Changing the fluid or doing anything else for that matter is pointless because the problem could be much worst and it might just throw the work and money you did right out the window. Get it diagnosed right and then throw money at the real problem instead of throwing money at something that MIGHT be the problem.
Unread 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are pumping the clutch, and then it works fine, its your master, slave, or air in the lines.
Unread 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unless.. say if the clutch is good, then while moving from gear to gear while driving, you are experiencing grinding, but, by pumping the clutch, you are slowing the rotation down, allowing it to go into gear easier due to bad syncros. That's about the only other thing I could think of really. Maybe it would explain why it goes in good at a stop.
Unread 10-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by target4fun View Post
I have a 91 wrangler 5 speed 6 cyl and about a month ago I changed out the clutch master cylinder and bled it and it worked fine until now. All of a sudden it started grinding going into all gears so i checked master cylinder... it was low so i added fluid and bleed the clutch better as it would let me into gear but would still grind. When i am stopped it will go into every gear fine no problem ... I always start in 2nd and it doesn't grind at all but when the jeep gets going I try to shift to third gear and it grinds unless i pump the clutch then it goes in fine no problem. This makes me think the clutch master is out? It isn't leaking so don't think it is the slave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It could be a couple of things...some minor, others major. I agree with Spuz, take it to a tranny shop to see what it is. If you dont want to go that route, look under your dash where the top of the clutch pedal attaches to the master cylinder. If its leaking there, you have a bad master...replace.

Your slave could be leaking. I dont know if 91's had an external or internal slave. My 89 has an internal (PITA!) and if the slave is leaking, its hard to catch. The only thing you could do there is pop the dust cover and stick your finger in...if its dry, thats a good sign. But, thats not the best method of eliminating. The problem could also be your clutch itself. If the clutch is worn out, it may not be engaging right and causing the grind. I had an issue with mine "shuddering" on takeoff. I changed my master cylinder and had the shop put in a new clutch (that came with a new slave). After I got it back, problem solved.

Worst case is its the syncros. If they are toast, youre looking at some cash to fix it. My first bet is that either your slave or clutch is going/gone out. Have a shop inspect it and report back....
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.