Yj engine upgrading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj engine upgrading

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
COLDflame22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yj engine upgrading

Can some one who has takin out there 2.5 and put in a bigger motor tell me all that was evolved and if it was worth it or not?

95 yj 2.5 4cyl

COLDflame22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about go to a V8?

If so start reading here.

I did a 5.3 motor and the 4L60E trans from a 2008 Silverado. A lot of time and headaches were involved. Plus the money headache. Was it worth it? Hell yeah! It's a beast on the trails and tons of fun to drive on the streets.
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
COLDflame22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well going to a v8 was my first idea but I heard that it would be cheaper ad still good power if I went with v6 and that I wouldn't have to change everything if I went with the 6 compared to the v8
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the stock rear differential is garbage. No matter what you do, it's just not good.

I'm assuming that's what you meant by 'changing everything'. Because by getting a new engine, you have to get a new tranny... so other than that, it's tc / differentials.

You can get a good deal on an XJ (Cherokee) with an I6, and do a complete swap for $750 dollars, then swap your 2.5l in the XJ and resell it and get some if not all your money back.

It also depends what you plan on doing.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
tygo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You won't need to swap your trannyfor most swaps. Dozens of great build threads and tons of links to knowledge bases. Figure out your budget, do some research, and figure out which option is best for what you want your jeep to do. You'll get the most out of this forum from asking more specific questions once you narrow it down to a couple different motor options. They all involve work, some less than others.
tygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygo View Post
You won't need to swap your trannyfor most swaps. Dozens of great build threads and tons of links to knowledge bases. Figure out your budget, do some research, and figure out which option is best for what you want your jeep to do. You'll get the most out of this forum from asking more specific questions once you narrow it down to a couple different motor options. They all involve work, some less than others.
An AX5 or T990 (I think that's what the auto transmissions are) in a car with more than 150 tq?

I don't think that'll work out well. If it was an AX-15, then yeah. AX-5? Not so much.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDflame22 View Post
Well going to a v8 was my first idea but I heard that it would be cheaper ad still good power if I went with v6 and that I wouldn't have to change everything if I went with the 6 compared to the v8
If you go the V6 route you will still need to change the trans. The Ax5 will not cut it even behind the Chevy 4.3 V6. You can get an adapter the adapt the GM trans to the 231 tcase. As said above your weak link will be your D35.

There is a lot to it. For some it can be an easy and inexpensive swap and others difficult and expensive.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
tygo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
An AX5 or T990 (I think that's what the auto transmissions are) in a car with more than 150 tq?

I don't think that'll work out well. If it was an AX-15, then yeah. AX-5? Not so much.
Ah, I've got ax15 and always forget the autos.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
COLDflame22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so what I'm seeing here is I'm getting different answer, so it can depend on rather or not by the motor I get if I'll need to get a new transmission or just an adapter, and I was planning on gettin lock in differential anyways. So what would Yal say would be the best motor to get if I went with a v6 and if I went with the v8 whats my best option there
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you do a V6 the Chevy 4.3, V8 my preference would be the LS series of Chevy motors. They are easy to find and have huge aftermarket support. The most common is the 5.3 but you can do the 4.8 or if you want the 6.0.

You are going to need more than just "lock in differenital". You need to replace the rear Dana 35 if you plan on going to a bigger motor. If you have the AX15 you can get an adapter to mate it to the motor. Just remember you will be increasing horsepower and torque. With the power my 5.3 puts out I wouldn't want the AX15 behind it.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had the 2.5 with the AX-5 and Turdy 5 like you. I blew up the spiders in the 35 and swapped it out with a 8.8 out of a 97 Exploder and got a Posi and disk brakes out of it. Fairly easy straight forward swap and no major issues. Syncros in my AX-5 let go about 7 months later so I found an AX-15 for it. While looking for swap parts and adapters I found a guy selling a complete 98 4.3 with a new clutch, wiring harness and computer. New tranny had a TC on it with a SYE and the guy gave me a spare XJ front shaft with it as well. Got my local machine shop to shorten the XJ shaft and used it for my rear and was able to reuse the front one. As for the swap itself, it went smoothly with parts from Advanced Adapters. I got the computer re-flashed from a local company to get rid of the VATS and auto tranny and TC controls along with the after cat O2 sensor. You don't need to change the radiator with the 4.3 but have to get creative with the hoses. I've made a 3 hour drive on the highway with it and a couple of off road runs and no issues at all with overheating.
Performance wise it's awesome. I can run in 5th on the highway at about 2500 RPM and don't have to downshift for hills and can even accelerate and pass while still in 5th with the 31's I don't expect much difference with my 33's as I have roughly half the pedal left at 65mph. Had a few minor hiccups along the way but the swap was well worth it. Roughly a 100hp gain over the stock 2.5L 4 banger.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
tygo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDflame22 View Post
Alright so what I'm seeing here is I'm getting different answer, so it can depend on rather or not by the motor I get if I'll need to get a new transmission or just an adapter, and I was planning on gettin lock in differential anyways. So what would Yal say would be the best motor to get if I went with a v6 and if I went with the v8 whats my best option there
Listen man you really need to decide what you want out of it besides just something easy, because even the easy ones require pulling the whole engine out and replacing it. You'll continue to get different answers on here because everyone has different needs, different preferences, and different experiences. I can't stress enough that you need to check out somewhere like novak (http://www.novak-adapt.com/) and get some more specific info. This is a huge topic and you're keeping it too broad so everyone is going to keep repeating the same thing. You're not going to get one clear answer to this question in a thread like this, its too big a question. After you check out novak and narrow it down, search the yj technical section for build threads using the different motors you narrow it down to, find out what their experiences were like, decide, and dive in. Once you're a little further along the people on here will be able to talk you through any troubles you run into, absolutely.
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
COLDflame22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I will look more into the Novak and try to narrow my options down, once I see a route for me to take I'm a post it back here and get some more of yals feed back thanks again
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
COLDflame22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay so what if I put a 4.3 Chevy v6 kept my ax15 and used the Novak adapter to the bell housing to the transmission, would that be all I need? What about my transfer case
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The Np231 will hold up behind a V6 nicely, plus it bolts up to the AX-15 nicely.

If you have the AX-5/NP231 combo right now, and wish to reuse the NP231, you will need to swap out the input shaft.

I'm in the middle of a V8 swap as we speak, and let me tell you... There's ALWAYS something else, and you will get nickle & dimed to death... luckily I prepared for it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.