Yj engine swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj engine swap?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
culby86

Yj engine swap?

Hey guys, I have a 95 yj with a 2.5 that needs work. Should I rebuild the 2.5 and regear or just pull it and go with a 4.0? I want more power but it will still be my daily driver and I don't want to lose any top end since it doesn't have much as is. Thanks.

culby86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

like saying you want a rifle.... From a 22 to a big bore 445 super mag. Need to know what you going to do 90% of time and build to that. If the 2.5 in jeep is working for the most part, but it is in poor shape, a rebuild will bring back a good bit of power.
Its super easy to fix what you got and get it near perfect, than to swap to any thing.
Tell us what you want from jeep, tire size, trail time, hwy time and FUNDS & skill level.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by culby86 View Post
Hey guys, I have a 95 yj with a 2.5 that needs work. Should I rebuild the 2.5 and regear or just pull it and go with a 4.0? I want more power but it will still be my daily driver and I don't want to lose any top end since it doesn't have much as is. Thanks.
If the 2.5 needs rebuilt i would do the i6 swap. As long as you have a welder and some know how you shouldn't have a problem. You can a used i6 and ax 15 for around 500$, lot cheaper then a rebuild.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
culby86

It's mostly a commuter. I hit the trails fairly regularly but nothing crazy. Mostly just mud and some hills. Stock tires for now but it fits 31s and I'd like to go back to them. I don't think there's anything serious wrong with the engine just several little things due to lack of maintenance. One thing that scares me is a coolant leak from the rear of the block that I can't find. Is there a freeze plug back there? I'm pretty novice to all this but I have a good group mechanically inclined people to help with the work when figure out what I'm gonna do.
culby86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

swap a good running 2.5 for the the existing one.quick swap and it will be cost effective if cost is a issue.couple days and your done.a six or eight cyl swap will be engine trans, weld in engine mounts .drive line work ,then wirring and final tweeking the set up.if your ability is limited with tool access and a spot to work you maybe down for weeks completeing the swap.start simple IMO.
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

swap a good running 2.5 for the the existing one.quick swap and it will be cost effective if cost is a issue.couple days and your done.a six or eight cyl swap will be engine trans, weld in engine mounts .drive line work ,then wirring and final tweeking the set up.if your ability is limited with tool access and a spot to work you maybe down for weeks completeing the swap.start simple IMO.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.