YJ Engine compartment MESS - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Engine compartment MESS

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

before you go completely eliminating everything do have to pass emissions? if no then pulse air can go. many also get rid of the EGR, my offenhauser manifold doesn't even have it. besides what you posted you need vacuum to the vac advance on the distributor.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There is emissions testing in Massachusetts. I did figure that I'd leave the EGR. There doesn't seem to be any trace of the pulse air system left. In fact, the cat was removed all together. I did by a direct fit one for $85 inc shipping on ebay. Sounds like I need to put the pulse air system back together. I do need vacuum for the distributor, thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for your patience and help. It's starting to sink in....I think.
nwengcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwengcarpenter View Post
Also......Do I need the pulse air system?
The pulse air system is controlled by the computer, so it won't work no matter what. Whether you'll need to make it look like its there to get it licensed is another question.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
jollyroger1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is your emission testing visual or just the sniffer test,I can pass the sniffer test here with my nuttered 4.2,but the tuning has to be spot on.Pretty much the only vac I have is brake booster,egr,vac advance and the cad
jollyroger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The only visual inspection is exterior and safety. The emissions is a sniffer test.
nwengcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can also get a 3 way cat and there is no need for air injection.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.