YJ Engine compartment MESS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Engine compartment MESS

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Engine compartment MESS

I need some bearings, a general direction. My newly aquired 1987 YJ, although she looked relatively clean at dusk, proved to be a purchase which came with "strings attached". An anxious first look in the light of day delivered one sinking feeling after another. I wonder how long the adjustable wrench has served diligently as a motor mount shim. Where are all the vacuumm lines? That hose clearly doesn't belong there. I imagine this situation, albeit adulterous, is not unique.

Some info:

4.2 L Reman
2bbl Holley carb
Missing vacuum lines
Open vacuumn portm
Chopped wires
Dangling connectors
Tie wraps, tie wraps and did I mention tie wraps?

Could someone provide me with some direction? Where do I start? For now, I'd like to put it back as close to stock as possible.

Thanks

nwengcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got any pics?
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

first you need to figure out what has been done to the jeep. the first clue is the holley carb, not stock. alot of people do carb swaps along with eliminating the stock computer by doing the nutter bypass or changing the distributor. the original emission system is then disabled and most of the stock vacuum lines, etc. can be capped off or removed.
if you post some pics of the engine compartment we should be able to help.
honestly, it sounds like putting it back to stock would be a major job and really not worthwhile as the system was very problematic to begin with.
don't give up hope, the 4.2 actually runs better without all that stuff.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pics

Here are some picture. I am all for disabling, removing and whatnot. I suppose I am just unclear as to what is what.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktpqaxuxhm...2019.16.48.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcq3haeaic...2019.17.04.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7xqw3vv3o...2019.17.08.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/18xftgit28...2019.17.21.jpg
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

okay. most of the emissions have been removed, probably has had the nutter bypass done. here's some threads on it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=...w=1360&bih=643

I guess the big question is how does the jeep run? if your happy with that part spend some time reading up on the 4.2 to learn whats needed for every thing to work, its amazing how much can be eliminated. I filled a large trash bag with the stuff I removed.
hopefully all your seeing is the previous owners sloppy work and after straightening every thing up you will have a great running jeep.
the 4.2 has a lot of potential if you like to tinker and modify, heres some threads to get you started.

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking that the pics I posted are most likely not so good. I will get some better, more detailed ones.

Am I right in my assumption that the computer is completely disabled?

I suppose I will have to rework the vacuumm systemfor the remaining components which need lines. Is that correct?

Thanks everyone for all the help thus far!
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

heres some images of the 4.2 vacuum lines, it will give you an idea of what was there originally.
the one in the third row, 4th pic is all thats needed for the motor itself. there are also images for the CAD for the 4 wheel drive.

woops wrong link

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

try this

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.S2bf98QNGSU

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can I ask why you want to put all the vac lines back? Just curious is all.
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again!

After my research here, I DON'T want to put the vacuumm lines back........It just seemed like that might be the best place to start.

It turns out that I have a Holley 350CFM carb. Manual choke at the moment. In this whole process, do any of you have any input as to whether or not I should get the Holley elec choke kit?
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get the vapor canister and egr valve working, it will pollute less and it won't hurt how it runs. Looks like the pcv valve is already hooked up. Make sure it works.

Make there isn't anything sucking vacuum or leaking it.

Give the manual choke a chance. You might like it.

If you look on this page, http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/control.htm in the third column, it will tell you what you could possibly get to work without the computer. A service manual for a 1979 or so CJ7 might help out some too.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
If you can get the vapor canister and egr valve working, it will pollute less and it won't hurt how it runs. Looks like the pcv valve is already hooked up. Make sure it works.

Make there isn't anything sucking vacuum or leaking it.

Give the manual choke a chance. You might like it.

If you look on this page, http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/control.htm in the third column, it will tell you what you could possibly get to work without the computer. A service manual for a 1979 or so CJ7 might help out some too.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I'll relocate the choke cable, which was ridiculously run through the center bezel to the left of the heater controls, and give it a go.

I think the evap canister is simply gone. Should be an easy junk yard find.

All of the input thus far has been very helpful. I feel far less intimidated by the task ahead.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So.....

I am still struggling to understand all of this. I'll try to explain and hope for any acknowledgement of right or wrong from all.

The vac system mostly controls the emissions system and the related funtion of the carter carb. Mine has a Holley 350 CFM so most of the lines are not needed. I only need vac for the PCV, EGR and the wheel lock motor. The lock motor missing a metal vac connection and needs to be replaced. What should I do? So do I have this right?
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
nwengcarpenter
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also......Do I need the pulse air system?

Tags
YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.