YJ driver side mirror - Broken Bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ driver side mirror - Broken Bolt

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
90_soYJ_AC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ driver side mirror - Broken Bolt

So to make my Jeep legal i decided to set of the mirror relocation brackets and mount those suckers to my Jeep, got that done after some fun with the torx screws holding the brackets in and then I went to take the mirror off the door, got under the mirror and even with a ton of WD40 spray i wasnt able to get the nut off the bolt without breaking the bolt. I dont mind having to buy a new mirror but when i looked at the bolt i do see a small pin that i was able to pry out but wondering if anyone has been able to remove that bolt and replace it with a new one? Any thoughts on this?? Thanks - Aaron

90_soYJ_AC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what bolt you are talking about. Picture?

WD40 is not penetrating oil
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What he is talking about is the main bolt that slides into the mount on the door. On my door mounts the mirror has a shaft that is threaded at the end which a spring and nut mounts underneath. Sounds like he broke the thread end off the shaft. The shaft then runs upward into the mirror and pivots for adjustment. I do not think it would be worth it to replace this as it would take a lot of effort but post up if you do as I'm sure someone else has done the same. For future rusty bolts use PB Blaster or Deep Creep as WD 40 was designed to remove moisture not lubricate and free up rusty bolts.
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
90_soYJ_AC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, that is the Bolt that i am talking about... i can try to snap a picture later when i am home. I dont mind putting the effort in if it saves me from buying 1 or 2 new mirrors as it looks like the passenger side bolt is going to snap off as well.
90_soYJ_AC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a second set off craigslist as I was worried about the same thing. I soaked those bad boys in PB blaster for almost a week and gently eased them off. Before trying look at craiglist or post up here as I paid ten bucks for mine and I'm sure someone has a set from a part out jeep.
If you are going to try take it out I think it's pressed into the mirror housing so it may come loose but I'm not sure where you would find a replacement. Now you have me curious
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.