YJ Door Hinges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Door Hinges

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Door Hinges

Was looking at replacing my door hinges on my 88 and noticed that in catalogs it says 1/2 doors on one and full doors on the other. I have full doors but found a good deal on a set of half doors I wanted to use in summer. Will they not work with my full door hinges? How come? Im not going to buy them if they wont work.

Noclrnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
snaustin09

You shouldn't have any problems at all, in the spring I take my full doors off to put the half doors on without changing a thing.
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Rocky_Cosmark
1991 YJ Wrangler 

im not 100% positive, but half doors have only the lower hinge because the top portion is the fabric part, i only have full doors though i am just giving suggestions to you to consider when looking at them
Rocky_Cosmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
93StockYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my 93 has stock full doors - i purchased set of 93 half doors and they fit perfectly
93StockYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Aero540t
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Cosmark View Post
im not 100% positive, but half doors have only the lower hinge because the top portion is the fabric part, i only have full doors though i am just giving suggestions to you to consider when looking at them
I've got a set of half doors sitting in my apartment waiting for the spring, they have two hinges, one on top and one on bottom, just like the full doors.

I think the only difference is when replacing the hinges on the doors themselves will not interchange, so if you need to replace the hinges make sure you buy the correct ones for half or full, or so I've been told.
Aero540t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. The set of half doors I found were sold over the weekend. If anyone has a set they want to sell let me know. I would also need them shipped if youre not close to South Dakota.
Noclrnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The hinges all mount the same.

For the last few years (94-95) Jeep had different hinges for the full steel doors. Prior to that, half and full doors had the same hinges, just that the top hinge plate on the half door had three holes tapped out for the mirrors (88-95).

Pre 1994 Factory Full Doors (don't mind the European Spec) without mirror holes in the hinge:

The last years of the YJ saw Jeep change the full door side mirrors from the tiny ones to the same mirrors as the half doors. The change they made was that the top hinge plate for the full door was extended so that the mirror could mount to this plate and not be obstructed by the vent window.

These "full door hinges" retained the same mounting holes to the actual door, they are just longer.

Before the long plate was used in 1994, typically catalogs sold all replacement door hinges with mirror mount holes in them. You can use them for each other. The only issue would be that the later "full door" extended upper hinge plate would interfere with the soft upper doors... and or look odd.

I have "half door hinges" on my full doors and use the half door full mirrors. My full doors are from 1992 and came with the small goofy mirrors.

With the TJ, Jeep removed the vent windows from the full doors therefore making the longer hinge plate unessisary. All TJs used the same door hinges and mirrors for both the full and half doors.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.