yj door frame pieces - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj door frame pieces

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 12-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yj door frame pieces

I am trying to figure out what the pieces are and where to get them for the door.
I have hard bottom door and the soft upper square frame. The part I need to find is the metal frame that the upper half of the door seals onto and the back half of the top attaches to when all sealed up. It's not exactly the frame although I think it attaches to the frame.
Hopefully that makes sense to someone.

mipstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going with door surrounds as a technical name. It is Besttop top. But I think it is oem replacement.... I think
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not making much sense to me...

The soft upper doesn't have anything attached to it other than the soft upper frame inside the soft upper canvas/cloth door. It has weather stripping as part of the upper door. The soft upper door seals against the OEM soft top frame (top and rear side) and the windshield frame. The windshield frame has a vertical plastic piece attached that seals the front of the upper door.

You can get an idea of the way it seals in this picture on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-Produc...art/B001EU7OJK

Hope this helps...

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the outlined part in the picture.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/bestop-...-55004-01.html
yj-factory-style-hardware-kit-55004-01_5461.jpg

Unread 12-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The top and rear is part of the OEM soft top frame and the front is the plastic piece attached to your windshield. It's not a part of the soft upper door.

Unread 12-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok. so where can you get a replacement plastic piece? i didn't want to have to build this stuff outa fiberglass myself but if it comes to that i might have to. anyone have any better pictures of it so i can get an idea of what i need to build?
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
The top and rear is part of the OEM soft top frame and the front is the plastic piece attached to your windshield. It's not a part of the soft upper door.
So, do you have the OEM soft top? If you have the Bestop "replace a top" you have the OEM frame with new cloth that only replace the soft parts of your top and doors. It doesn't come with any of the hard parts.

Unread 12-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

if only i knew exactly what i had. it was pieced together and im pretty sure the frame is a bestop replacement frame and top. i never had the original stuff. i am assuming that if i contact bestop they can probably get me a part?
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe if you had a picture of what you have we could tell you what you're missing.

I will say that if you have square corners on your soft upper doors you have the OEM style soft top.

Unread 12-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

here are a couple of images.
gosmsphoto1388076943119.jpg   gosmsphoto1388076971658.jpg  
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yep, looks like an oem replacement top. Here's a ;link for the part that fits on your windshield frame

http://www.4wd.com/Doors-Door-Access...FZKGfgod50gASw

not sure where you get the other pieces without buying the whole frame kit
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are those pieces needed for hard doors?
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

so i never did find the pieces for this. only the windshield part. the rest of the surround doesn't seem to be something you can buy alone except on maybe a part out.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was a bit confused about this post at first but I now see the OP'S quest. I have a Besttop Supertop I bought from ebay years ago. I believe it was listed as being for full steel doors,which I had. I remember seeing a door surround built into the roof frame itself. It hinged where that hole is in your the picture on the door upright. I 'm thinking maybe there is a model for soft doors and a separate one for steel doors. I'm not too sure. All I know is mine has a door surround as part of the roof frame. Maybe PO broke it off. I don't have the top anywhere on the property so I can't take a pic. That frame doesn't look like mine does. Mine had a horizontal piece with a 1/4 turn wing/ring nut thingy that connected to an upright on the other end which fit in a bracket screwed on the tub at the fabric lip. There was also a bracket which fit between the windshield and rollbar horizontal tube(triangle shaped) IIRC. Hope this helps you out. Keep in mind that mine was a Supertop.The vertical rod had the side fabric wrap around it and sealed against itself with velcro. Could that be a supertop fabric on a besttop replacement frame?
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

these are the windshield surround pieces which have another piece that attaches to the top where the tab is. I am pretty certain the top piece has buttons on it. the rear piece, like you said, just attaches to those holes and the door pushes against it and keeps the seal. i have a lot of gap around the door which i packed full of a blanket. it worked but its no where near perfect and still gets quite cold.
kgrhqv-psfcu0yulz5bqs-uuzj9-60_3.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.